What have i broke now?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Guys what have i broken? Its a sensor obviously but what is it, how much will it cost me and can i just glue it back together lol?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Wanted to say knock sensor before I even opened the thread (seen so many times lol)

Gluing won't work mate unfortunately, struggling with pic on phone, where is this located?

Gordon

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Its on the back of the gearbox, between the rear mount and gear linkages :(

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Looks like its the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), anyone know if this sensor can just be glued back together? Even if just temporarily? I will of course get a new one :)

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Actually im positive thats the vss, the cable leading to it has the little speed converter box taped into it

maxvr6

Advanced Member
That confirms it i have no speed reading on the odometer, have revs though

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Guys I could really do with using the car to get to work on Monday, is it bad to drive it with a broken VSS?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
No that's the surprising thing I was expecting an EML but there's nothing, granted I only drove it down the end of the road and back to confirm the fault, then tried to read the codes and nothing.

What else will this effect? Am I to stay clear of Vtec or is the VSS designed literally just to give you a speed reading on the dash?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
I don't think Vtec would engage would it?? As the ECU would see the rev change but no speed so assume static vehicle?

Also reverse gear lockout is engaged when car is over 12mph (May be lower) this stops you being able to smash the gear into reverse when above this speed. So no VSS again means inability for the sensor to know your above set speed and not engage lockout.

There might be more but that's all I can think of just now mate

Gordon

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Cheers Teegwa, anyone else have any VSS wisdoms they would like to pass onto me please do :)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure kpro uses vss for ignition and AF. EML may not be on now but may end up coming on if driven more if ignition or mixture issues manifest

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Yep drove it down the road for another test and EML came on, stored code was P0500 Vehicle speed sensor. No vtec and reverse lockout no longer working, not that I went into reverse but the lockout seems to help line up the gear for 5th and 6th, and I couldn't engage them until I realized I had the gear stick way over to the right, gave it a little wiggle and it popped right into fifth (I was just cruising at 40mph not thrashing it btw).

Coyote you have me worried now I am running a Kpro so if I drive it to work (only a few miles) will that be bad? My AF and ignition way out?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Ecu might just remain in closed loop mode to protect. It's possible only open loop uses vss as a variable during Ecu operation. I've certainly run mine before we no speedo and you will notice strange rev behaviour and a more irratic idle. Car will feel a little more lurchy coming on / off throttle too from my previous experience

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Cheers Coyote, I'll just baby it to work until I get another.

Thanks again everyone, I would be buggered without this forum and your help! :)

Rom

Advanced Member
Just take it easy and you'll be fine.

I don't know 100% how these work, newer stuff can often cross reference signals with abs sensors too. As they also know wheel speed.

Like coyote said, it will probably just think your revving, and fuel according. Rather than driving.
That's assuming it has no way of using abs sensors. Which to be honest I doubt it does.

Just take it steady and use the revs to gauge speed.

Shame you couldn't make it last night

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Ok so i have a new VSS but when i pulled mine out the other day it didnt have the little cog on the end of it. I can only imagine when i broke it or pulled it out the little retaining clip on the end came off hence the little cog was not attached when i pulled it out.

So im now a little concerned about a couple of things...
  1. Will i be ok just fishing the old cog out of the gearbox with a magnetic pickup tool?
  2. What if the little retaining clip is somewhere floating around in the gearbox or is this not possible?
  3. Has anyone fitted one of these before and if so does it need to go back in in any particular way?
Any advice welcome!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Looking at the RSX manual all it pretty much says is stick the sensor in the hole lol, but im still worried about getting that old cog out and the retaining clip thats possibly gone walk about in my gearbox!

Even just some reassurance that it will come out ok would be great, surely someone who's stripped the gearbox down before can help? :)