What have i broke now?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Does it not come out as one when you remove the old? Or is the cog actually left in there??

Can you split the new? (as in does it come in two parts?)

maxvr6

Advanced Member
When i pulled the old one out the cog didnt come out with it so its still in there, I've actually glued the sensor back together and put it back into the gearbox and been driving it to work and back like that. Never having seen one of these sensors before i assumed that was the whole thing. Im guessing the cog will come out ok with a magnetic pickup tool, its the retaining clip im really worried about.

I could split the cog from the new sensor but i beleive it wont work without the retaining clip fixing the cog to the shaft, if that makes sense? I will try tonight as soon as i get home to get the cog out and see if the clip comes out with it, or try to fish the clip out once the cog is out.

I'm just hoping someone will say theres nowhere for the clip to go so it should come out with the pickup tool.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
hmmm yeah tricky one. Tried calling TGM?? just to get there advice.

But yes like you I would be worried that now the cog is not secured in place, ...could be messy. sorry I cant be of any more help. :(

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Hi Max,

It's a bit late now sorry mate but I've only just seen this thread.

I had a speed sensor break on me but not to the degree your has. Mine just broke where the bolt goes through to hold it in place so it wouldn't stay put.

Just to confirm, all the issues you're getting with no VTEC and no reverse lock out is all normal with no speed sensor attached.

Regarding the pin and cog, I'd be more concerned by the cog than a little pin tbh. There are two magnets in the box, one on the drain plug and a larger square one that fits inside too. The chances are, a little clip will get magnetised by one of these. The cog however being bigger and able to roll around a bit more may be more likely to still move about. Hopefully one of the magnets will be strong enough to hold it in place. It can't hurt to drain the gearbox oil and if you're really lucky it will all be stuck to that magnet being the lowest point. If it's not there though there may be no way to tell where it is without some kind of camera device or splitting the box.

I think the suggestion to ask Tom is probably your best bet mate. He'll soon say if you need to get it out of there. The fact nothing has happened during your driving is probably a good sign but there will always be that little worry niggling away in the back of your mind. Fingers crossed it'll be stuck to one of those magnets or it will roll about til it finds one.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Hi Dave,

Yeah spoke to Tom and he said the main worry is the cog, the other bits have either been minced or are stuck to the magnets but shouldn't cause any damage. He said to try fishing it out with long nose pliers, other option is do a gear oil change and hope its stuck to the plug. Also trying a magnetic pick up tool but not getting anywhere right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I think the problem you'll have with the pickup tool is that the magnet on the end will be weaker than the ones in the box so unless it isn't on one of those magnets I don't think you'll pick it up. Hope you get somewhere with it though mate.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Well I didn't get anywhere, tried all sorts of tools to get in there and fish it out but no joy. Next step is a gear oil change and/or a camera device to look inside the box, but will have to take it to a garage to get it done.

You're right though David its a good sign nothing has happened yet as I've driven it to work 2 days in a row, and considering my route to work is fairly twisty and bumpy makes me think its likely stuck to one of the magnets.

Since I can't find the cog I've installed the new sensor and its all working as it should again, so tomorrow I'll speak to my local garage about getting it fished out.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you've been lucky and didn't turn your box into a 7 speed! Hopefully safe against the magnet :)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Lucky but also very frustrated, I've just been to a local garage who put an endoscope into the speed sensor hole, they spent an hour rummaging around in the gearbox right down into the oil and found nothing.

The cog itself is too big to come out via the oil drain hole so I don't think that's going to help, so I'm at a bit of a loose end here waiting for Tom to call me back now to discuss next steps :(

Alicks

Advanced Member
Box out and off for a rebuild if it was mine before any damage is done. Rebuild might be £250, new gears are that alone...

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Ok I've now spoken to Tom again and I'm still a little confused, he says if it hasn't been found with an endoscope after an hour of rummaging I'm not going to find it. Either it came off when I pulled the sensor out and its on the floor somewhere (which obviously I've looked and cant find it) OR as its made of aluminium and plastic it will have been mashed to tiny pieces by now so it cant cause any further damage, if it has caused any.

He said I could bring it down to him for 6-7 hours labour to split the box and put it back again but still might not find anything.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
When you drained the gearbox oil did you find any debris in there? If the cog got mashed then you would get bits of it in the oil.

I bet it's wedged somewhere. Got picked up by another cog and flung it in a corner.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
We didn't change the gear oil initially as I wanted to inspect it with the endoscope first then consult Tom, so after speaking to Tom I've just had my local garage change it and basically we found pretty much sod all.

The oil was filtered using some kind of filter paper like you use in those coffee machines and nothing was found in that, but the plug did have a fair amount of fuzz on it. Considering the last time my gear oil was changed (like 2 months ago) there wasn't even a spec of fuzz on the drain plug, I think the fuzz we found today is probably traces of the cog.

I also had them put the endoscope in again from the drain hole once the oil was out and we still found nothing. I wouldn't normally do this but I think I'm going to leave it at that, my recent house move has stretched me to the limit financially so I cant even afford to look at it again this month.

Otherwise car feels great lol

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there are a few places inside the box it could go and stay forever, there is a magnetic strip that yo cant see until the box is split and a couple of pleces it could get wedged

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Well I've just been out for a blast for the last 2 hours, and nothing happened except a lot of Vtec Yo! I wasn't exactly trying to provoke the issue, more trying to restore confidence in it. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and jump, so I did.

I think its probably either broken up and/or stuck to the magnet, or just wedged somewhere for good, either way its not causing any issues.

Rom

Advanced Member
If it were mine, i would just drive it like you are mate.
I wouldnt strip the box, if theres no sign of it, no noise etc. There will be enough little places it could be sat / stuck. You'd have to be pretty unlucky for it to be picked up from wherever its resting, and into the shafts.