What oil are you using?

Mark_teg

Staff member
Granty1056 said:
Its all in your balls Mark. According to Millers that is. There is a bit of hype attached to this whole issue. But these businesses have their reputations at stake. I don't think they would want to risk criticism from the motoring magazines.

I also think that the manufactures have the ability to create an oil and a filter that would do hell of a lot more mileage then we are lead to believe. They know that the most of us do an oil and filter change at least twice a year. Thats hell of a lot of revenue coming in.

Personal thing but I'm sticking with Nanodrive until something else tops it for me. Its bleeding expensive though.

Regards.
I agree on that point Granty, once a year is plenty for most people, myself included! It's just a waste of good oil changing it earlier!
Covering 10k+ miles or track use being exceptions of course..

Anyway, I'm sidetracking this thread sorry.

I use Fuchs silkolene pro-s 5w40, it's the only oil my Teg has been fed for the past 7 years :)

Rom

Advanced Member
Im using Mobil 1 0w40. Used it in my B16 without issue.

Theres already oils and filters that last longer. Castrol SLX Longlife III, 20k / 2 Year. Been standard on any VAG variable service car for 10 years.

As Mark said, its literally a waste of oil changing it so often. I get why people do it, if it makes them happy, good for them. But if the oil hasnt degraded, theres nothing to gain.

Even after dyno printouts, im still skeptical. Thats some big gains. And although its not cheap...its not that expensive either.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've just done a change and have opted for Shell Helix Ultra 5w 40 as it's supposed to be good for cleaning the engine. It's also half the price of Fuchs Titan S which is what I used last time.

The last oil change was in November last year but tbh I'm only going to drop the oil once a year now probably. Don't see the need for doing it every 6 months. These are durable engines and the quality of oil these days is fantastic.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I'm using fuchs pro s 5w-40 same as everyone else but was using gulf competition 0w-30 before which is also ester based oil which worked great. Placebo or not car felt little more sluggish low down when I changed to 5w-40. I know thinner oil gains more power,might even go back to it to be honest,didn't burn any more on that than the pro s either. Might try nanodrive oil first though.

Ranja_Ash

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 for me too.

Cheap as chips when Euro Car Parts have their special offers on (every 3 months or so).

Works out around £44 delivered for 2 x 5litre bottles which is less than what you would pay for 1 from a Shell petrol station.

Good thing is I've always got loads for topups dependant on driving. :xvtec:

Jon_ep3ctr

Advanced Member
I use Fuchs Titan pro s 5w 40 for the age of our cars now I don't think going too thin is wise, used it on my ep3 that's now on 110k and she still pulls like it did when I bought it on 62k,

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Likewise, it's not the cheapest but titan pro s 5W 40 for me too and I've driven mine round the clock 2.5 times and still pulling strong

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
I always use the Motul 300V chrono oil 10W40.
And I love the smell when in vtec :xvtec: