What's latest on tyres all?

griffy

Advanced Member
I love the eagle f1 asy 3 extra load and used to love the gsd3's but put those out of shape few times. What's everyone else running?

Chewy

Advanced Member
I personally went from Goodyear Eagle F1's AS2's to Advan AD08R's and they perform better in every way except for in the wet (Which you shouldn't really be pushing it in the rain anyway... Haha) I won't be going back to F1 AS2's now I've experienced these, wish I'd have changed sooner (Not driven daily).

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I want to try the AD08rs myself...i went to good years from all the hype on here. They are sooo soft a squidgy, I dislike them in every way except comfort on a long drive. They do not suit the characteristics of the DC5 one bit. can't wait to get them off tbh.

(As2's mind)

Much prefer my Falkens on the winter wheels :)

Mebz

Advanced Member
When I was at Donnington last week, I was told yokohomo will stop production of the ad08r this year. Something to do with their noise rating.

Not sure how true this is but might be worth stocking up sooner rather than later.

griffy

Advanced Member
Interesting, the AD08rs maybe worth a try then, maybe they run sharper and turn in better, nice one

Midnight

Advanced Member
Tyres for one person may not be great for another person.

Myself, not sure why anyone would look past either Toyo R888 or Yokohama A048R.

I know a lot like the AD08 but the A048R is a more focused tyre, some may prefer AD08 for the road and never find the limit of those let alone A048R.

spooke

Advanced Member
Only really experienced AD08R's on the DC5, came with some ECO crap from Japan :D

Definitely gonna use them again, feel great on road and track - as above wet weather they aren't great but they're far from dangerous.

griffy

Advanced Member
Just been reading a lot of reviews on the AD08rs, they look good and suit my driving style I think. Kept putting the F1's out of shape but enjoyed the grip. AD08rs Is something different and I'm guessing I'll not struggle to flog them on if I do t like them judging by the fan base lol cheers for the feedback guys

martinj46

Advanced Member
It depends how you're using the car, a good tyre to use daily in all conditions on the road won't compare to a proper track tyre on track and in the right conditions. And vice versa.

I had AD08's and they are good, but they are no better than federal rsr's in any conditions on road or track, yet they are double the price... most over priced tyre I've ever had and I wouldn't bother with them again. Which won't be a popular opinion

I've had RE070 as a road tyre and they tick all the boxes and are more than capable of doing the odd track day too.

I'm now running kumho KU36 as I couldn't find RSR's in the right size when I needed to change tyres and I had a tight budget to get the car ready for mimms. The KU36 have been a big surprise, and coped pretty well on track at mimms, and are even cheaper than RE070. Obviously they won't compare to an R888 or A048 on track though.

Everyone has a different driving style though and each will suit a different tyre, trial and error until you find one that suits your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
F1A3's are not very good for a sports car/hot hatch, they belong on German barges. Quite why they are so highly rated on here is a mystery to me, every car I've had them on feels like jelly.

Tyres for one person may not be great for another person.

Myself, not sure why anyone would look past either Toyo R888 or Yokohama A048R.

I know a lot like the AD08 but the A048R is a more focused tyre, some may prefer AD08 for the road and never find the limit of those let alone A048R.
AD08R gives 90% the grip that an A048 gives but wears much harder. There are lads going though front A048's in one track day whereas AD08R will last multiple days with very similar lap times.

Also on a K20 engine car it really isn't advised to run a semi slick tyres (even on the road) without a sump baffle.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I had AD08's and they are good, but they are no better than federal rsr's in any conditions on road or track, yet they are double the price... most over priced tyre I've ever had and I wouldn't bother with them again. Which won't be a popular opinion
I have tried both back to back and AD08R is a better tyre. They come with more tread as new, they feel better and provide more progressive grip. RS-R seem to be a bit of a lottery with some sets being great and others being terrible, ask kevin85 of his experience of them.

When you get a good set they are good though but I won't be buying them again.

Midnight

Advanced Member
My very little experience with the AD08 was not impressive Chris, infact id put them in the same group as the RSR / NS2R.

Although on the road, I'm not sure many would find the limit of those let alone the A048 or R888.

Usually it's the price that puts people off, but for focused driving I've yet to find a tyre that gives as much confidence as those pair.

Agree about the baffled sump though!

Indi

Advanced Member
IMO and experience:

RE070 - Great tyre for the road, grips well from cold rather than getting some heat into them and also okay on track

AD08r - Great on the road with a little heat and not bad in the wet (Better than re070 in wet). Really good on the track too for the money and don't wear too quickly.

A048 - Amazing on track, not the best on the road (Horrendous road noise, tram lining etc) and also wear too fast - killed my brand new fronts from just one day at mimms.

More than likely will be trying the Dunlop Direzza DZ03G next as they're meant to last longer than a048 but I may even opt back to ad08r as they provide great grip and lap times for the money.

Fez

Advanced Member
When i bought my car it came with eagle f1's and i was surprsied at how good the car felt with them on the road, and really good in the wet, I then went with re070 because everyone here said how good they were, they were better in the dry than f1's but wet i found they were no where near as good, and every track day i'd have to change the fronts.
Then went to RSR as i loved then on my civic, still enjoyed them on the teg but due to only coming with 5mm tread i was changing them every 2 months or every track day. Now i have nankang ns2r's on the front and they have lasted ages, on a dry day i feel they have more grip than the RSR and come with 8mm tread. Done one track day with them so far and were pretty good on a wet track, and as the track dried i felt much more confident with them, but on the road in the wet they are equally as bad as rsr.

My girlfriends ep3 has uniroyal rainsports fitted, and they just seem to grip exactly the same what ever the weather, and have lasted her ages, driven daily. She bought the car with them fitted over year ago, and only recently changed the fronts and the rears still have plenty of life, when the weather starts get bad after summer i'll probably buy a set for the road/wet track days.

ekchris139

Advanced Member
I have a set of wheels with Michelin pilot ps4 and another set with AD08R.

The Michelins are miles better in the wet, they just grip and grip. AD08R are not bad in the wet even on a soaking track they held up fairly well.

Day to day driving there's not much difference between the 2.

Steering response is on a different league with AD08R. They are razor sharp. The PS4 does have good response as well.

Confidence inspiring the AD08R would take this one as well. If its dry its just endless grip and always feel planted.

Noise levels the PS4 would be a bit quieter but not by much.

In terms of thread life I wouldn't know as both sets have only done a few 1000kms.

Tramlining the AD08R do tramline a bit more than the PS4

Before I had the goodyear asymmetrics 2 XL. For a dc5 they were awful. Vague steering, did not inspire too much confidence, grip levels were not that good but they lasted ages (over 40k kms and 4 track days and I still had half the thread left before I sold them on).

I would probably never go back to goodyears after getting Michelins.

Hope this helps

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I've been running the GoodYear AS2 since I've had the teg, They were brand new and I've done about 10'000 miles in 2 years (all road, no track yet). There is still plenty of tread left. I would say they are OK, but that is it.

I have to second Fez on the Uni RS3, I had them on my Cupra and those things are insane!! While I read peoples responses about the other brands here, the RainSports have me hooked. Only thing that concerns me is they seemed to have a relatively soft wall.

All in all, I really don't know what to go for next either, this is why I like these threads.

griffy

Advanced Member
Went for the AD08R's, loving them, grip is amazing and the shoulders really kick ass on the corners. Yet to really push them but do far, My teg had a baffled sump too so corners are now confident as you like! Spot on!

Talking of spots... gave red and yellow fits on the side walls, guessing it's for mounting up valve and weight?

Shall I remove now? If so how do you shift the paint?

Fez

Advanced Member
The Yellow dot should be aligned with the valve as thats the lightest part of the tyre, you can shift the paint if you like but that wont move the fact its the lightest part of the tyre lol.

It doesnt really matter too much as long as the wheel & tyre balanced okay.