Wheel size/offset issues........

mikegsi

Staff member
Let me set the scene!!

Pre-facelift teg with spoon progressive springs and fast road setup Inc camber adjusters

running 225/45/17 re070 tyres on oem rims no problem

decide to fit some wheels which are 17x7.5 et45 and fit my nearly new 070's

the car sat really nice on the wheels/tyre combo, but would rub the arches over most bumps and on some corners

my question is what's the main cause of this? Is it the offset or width of the wheels, the width of the tyres or the fact that it's lowered?

I've had to put my tyres back onto oem wheels which fit perfectly, suggesting obv that the other wheels were to wide, but I've seen plenty other others with 7.5" wide wheels no problems!

I'm wanting aftermarket wheels still and want to use my tyres too, with that in mind what size and offset wheels should I look out for knowing they'll fit?

TimB

Advanced Member
Mike, is this the rear?
I have Works emotions and they came with a 8x17 front wheel and a 7 x17 rear wheel. Apparantly, in Japan, they run these bigger front wheels for more grip, same as BMW but in reverse. I can check the offset later, but the tyres are both the same size, standard 215 x 45 x 17. The car is also lowered and I have no rubbing, HTH Tim

mikegsi

Staff member
Yeah was mainly the rear, I thought I heard the fronts scrub as well though on some motorway driving, but the rear arch started to cut into the tyre

ReKo

Advanced Member
I think ET45 with 7.5" fit fine on lowered cars.

Sounds to me like it's the 225 width on your tyres that's causing the problem :-k

TimB

Advanced Member
yep sounds like tyre width on he back. I notice the Buddy club car runs 235's but has the facelift wide arch body kit, it's not road legal how ever

mikegsi

Staff member
I see what your saying, but obv on oem alloys the 225's are fine, is it that the others are 7.5" wide and not the 7" of oem, or is it the different offset between the wheels that's causing the 225's to rub?

TimB

Advanced Member
i would say its the offset thats causing it, pushing the wheel out further

jonster

Advanced Member
It's definitely the offset. OEM are 55 or 60 (can't remember which) and I guess it's your Rotas that are 45. Being a slightly wider rim and lowered doesn't help either. Let me know if you want to sell them on. I'm looking for some track wheels.

mikegsi

Staff member
They're definately getting sold mate, but as I haven't paid andy200bhp for them yet it's him you need to contact for them, I've got them with me here though and can post on his behalf, they're in the traders for sale section under bronze rota's, even though they're not bronze but the dark grey colour

So oem offset is 55ish

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i ran wheels of different types 7.5 wide with +45 offset with no problems, so long as you use the correct sized tyre, (215) and my car was on the deck.

if i fitted 225's then the extra couple of mm they would rub.
don't forget that the 225 tyres are also taller not just wider.

tyre type can also make a difference, toyos have quite a rounded shoulder wheras goodyears and re070's are quite square so could catch sooner.

mikegsi

Staff member
Cool, so on oem the 225's are fine as I run them no problem, but when you get wider wheels with lower offset you have to revert to 215's

tron2k3

Advanced Member
I used to run the same Rota torques with 225 RE070's on my old DC5 with no issues of rubbing :-k

My DC5 was sat on eibach springs with a TDi North fast road setup, could it maybe also to do with what camber you are running on the rear? or are the Spoon springs lower than the eibachs maybe?

I believe the wheels which Andy has for sale are my old ones which are anthracite and not bronze.

dave c

400hp K20
Hmmm, Thats a bit of a shame as i was planning similar, i was hoping for a 8.5 wheel front and back with the RE070 in 225 :? I'm guessing this isnt going to work?

Surely, if the wheel was wider it would stretch the tyre a little so that would decrease the height ?

mikegsi

Staff member
Hmmmm, how queer!!

Yes they're your old ones mate, my fast road was set up at centre of gravity by the last owner, I have the settings at home

afaik the spoons are a 25mm drop,

I could feel the extra grip through the front wheels of having those tyres on a wider rim, and it definately sat nicer

So as of now I'm not really much clearer as to why they rubbed! For every possible there's someone with the same that has worked for them!!

dave c

400hp K20
mikegsi said:
afaik the spoons are a 25mm drop,
Yeah i think thats the same as the eibachs, (eibachs might be only 20mm) i know that the spoon springs do actually sit lower.

Do you have any pics of the car with the wheels on mike?

mikegsi

Staff member
Na not really any help mate!! That's how mine looked, albeit a bit dirtier!!

Had you had your arches rolled or modded?

mikegsi

Staff member
Gonna have to double check my settings, although these tyres have been put on since then and it was about a year ago it was setup

18's are no good mate, I like the rota's I have in my garage (though they're still andy's till we decide what to do!) just the 070's are under 2 months old and I don't want to get shot of them just for the sake of the wheels

need to work out why they fitted on the previous teg with the same tyres and lowered sus but not mine!

tron2k3

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
Na not really any help mate!! That's how mine looked, albeit a bit dirtier!!

Had you had your arches rolled or modded?
No they weren't rolled or modified totally standard liners and arches.

Are the scrapping on the inside or the outside?