When a chain snaps!!

Rom

Advanced Member
Very nice of Spoon! You will have to buy lots of parts to make it up to them ;)

Id be worried about possible contact, and swarf getting into oil!
Unless you will be changing cams a lot, its benefit seems pointless? Chain wont drop unless you let it go slack, usually tie them up with something.
Would oem guide not also stop the chain anyway? Not seen one, but must be a similar kind of idea.

Brophy

Advanced Member
Gutted to see this mate, hope sorted soon.

Or at least makes way for upgrades

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Well, Tom has had the car awhile now and managed to have a quick look on Wednesday. He put the bore scope down the spark plug holes and....

It looks like the pistons HAVE NOT kissed the valves!! Fingers crossed it will all be ok.

Tom has been away racing this past weekend but is going to look at the car today if not first thing Tuesday. Hopefully will get it back by the end of the week or weekend.

He has the Mugen front bushes and Spoon rigid collars in there so shall get him to fit them. Maybe some J's Racing RCA's if he has them along with a geo setup.

I will let you know if I hear any good or bad news.

Polk Type R

Advanced Member
Just read through this and I'm sorry to see what has happened. Like you said, everything crossed you get it sorted soon buddy ;)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I too sincerely hope it is too however mechanically I can't see how it could possibly have survived it. Even cruising in top gear at 70/80 that's still 4,000 revs every min

I've never heard of a k20 chain snapping before but if all is well then by design what we have here is a non interfering setup somehow or another!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

wj51fut

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
I too sincerely hope it is too however mechanically I can't see how it could possibly have survived it. Even cruising in top gear at 70/80 that's still 4,000 revs every second.

I've never heard of a k20 chain snapping before but if all is well then by design what we have here is a non interfering setup somehow or another!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
4.5k revs per minute it was Dan! 😁😁

A little update.

I went to Honda yesterday to get the MOT done on the Smart car. It passed. But whilst I was there I asked two technicians about my woes. Not surprisingly they have never heard of a chain snapping. One of them has 17 years Honda experience. They didn't know what I could do about warranty etc but just said to take it back to the garage that fitted it. One of them said that TGM might have fitted a UK spec ep3 chain and these could be weaker than the JDM spec?!?! Not sure on this but I highly doubt it.

But the other guy spoke more sense (I hope). He said that he has known ep3's to jump teeth when stalling. One was 8 teeth out and still ran!! Like a bag of nails obviously but it still drove. He has not known a piston to hit a valve in this manner.

Spoke to Leighton at Pro-Garage too and he said the same thing. He thought his friends ep3 was dead after it skipped 7 teeth. But a new chain, tensioner, guides and oil and it's still going today.

I still haven't heard anything from TGM and I am waiting on a reply from an email about it. Hopefully news will be soon. And it will be good news...

p1tse

Advanced Member
Good luck again

Interesting thoughts about ep3 chains if different?

When are you expecting to hear back from TGM, and are you awaiting full diagnostics or a repair at the moment?