Why should i keep the teg?

alan-lee

Advanced Member
so basically been having these notions that i want an EVO. Can now afford to insure run and buy BUT everytime i drive the teg i just want to keep it and mod it.

Need someone to talk me out of my notion and just keep the teg lol pics and comments welcome

mark type r

Advanced Member
*Deep breath*

Right, I've done this and wish i hadn't to some degree.

If you're looking at 8's or 9's then you'll probably love it to start off. My wife has an 8MR 320 and its a fantastic car but you are always thinking in the back of your mind that something is going to go wrong. You never really relax in it and every noise you hear instantly freaks you out.
The servicing and costs of running it are nothing really, I see about 23mpg running it down a dual a carriage way every day and the tyres are not much different than the Teg.

So in summery the 8 or 9 are a good replacement but you'll be thinking how good the Teg was and the gearbox, oh the gearbox! The Teg is smooth and precise, shifting is lovely. The 8 is crunchy and rough, plus the clutch pedal is hard.

All of this was while I had my Teg, so I began to have your thoughts. I wanted an Evo of my own, so I bought a X 300 SST.

The car itself is lovely and if you bought it never owning a Teg or 8, you would love it. However, it's a very comfy motorway cruiser. It's not harsh, there's no sporty feel. I feel like I'm driving a executive car not an Evo.
I feel as though I've sold my track car for a family saloon. If you put it into auto and in normal mode and I blind folded you then you wouldn't know I was in a 300bhp sports car.

This is why I will be coming back to the fold next year, all being well.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
ok admin close thread... lol

no but really thats what i needed to hear, ive driven a few mates EVO's 7/8 and really liked the thought of getting back into BOOST! but then i think id like to boost the teg if i was going to go that route.

Thanks for your input about the evo its always great to hear someone who's owned/still owns one as you dont think of it that way until you own one.

Thanks again.

mark type r

Advanced Member
It's an itch that needs to be scratched, once you scratch it then its gone.

Good to get it out of your system, I always say what next? Where can I go from here? I can't afford a Lamborghini or whatever so I'm looking at cars ill enjoy to drive.

The Teg is that car!

Get it supercharged and I don't think you will look back

dotty

Advanced Member
I have had an Evo VI and it was nice but here I am back in a DC5.

I would have another Evo though, but strictly as a weekend toy.

rascal69

Advanced Member
I agree with 1st guy.
I have a evo 7 gsr import now running 370/350.
Hes right service/tyres and fuel are what to be expected. Expensive but not the worst.
Its if something goes wrong. Reason why i nickname evo 1000's.
transfer box's costly job. Ayc costly. Diff's, gearbox.
And all can go out of the blue. Esp if you turn the power up.
Otherwise engine wise pretty solid if looked after.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
ive got an itch for a 964 porsche at the moment, however i been down the " i want an evo" route but when you think how great and reliable the teg is, it becomes hard to give up

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe you could hire an evo for a week to scratch the itch then move on with your life with the best car ever to be created :D

jason100

I had a DC5 which i sold for a Evo 8 MR FQ320 running 380bhp 360ft lb of torque.

Sold it within 8 months.

Now got a DC2.

Trust me, you'll be back in a Honda.

rascal69

Advanced Member
I had a DC5 which i sold for a Evo 8 MR FQ320 running 380bhp 360ft lb of torque.

Sold it within 8 months.

Now got a DC2.

Trust me, you'll be back in a Honda.
Why did you need up in honda again?
I wont be back. Had a 3 hondas. I want a evo9gt after my 7 then i get a normal car

dotty

Advanced Member
You will be RASCAAALLL, you are still browsing these forums regularly ;)

I will remember that quote, once the honeymoon period is over with the Evo :)

I would have another Evo, but the DC5 is far more rewarding.. and rare.. and reliable, and doesn't eat at my pocket money !

jason100

Why did you need up in honda again?
I wont be back. Had a 3 hondas. I want a evo9gt after my 7 then i get a normal car
I just love what a Honda does.

Brilliant chassis, screaming NA power, MPG's (evo's are just ridicules on fuel when driving hard) cheap servicing (compared to the every 4,500 mile/6month evo servicing) and total reliability. It was always on my mind when really driving the Evo hard that something could break and cost a fortune. Eventually the AYC pump went (very common fault as I'm sure you know) There not cheap to have rebuilt, reinstalled, system bleed etc.

Not worried 1 bit about anything in my DC2 or any other of the Hondas I owned.

Each to there own I suppose but I won't get another Evo. They really are awesome cars but just not my cup of tea.

rascal69

Advanced Member
You will be RASCAAALLL, you are still browsing these forums regularly ;)

I will remember that quote, once the honeymoon period is over with the Evo :)

I would have another Evo, but the DC5 is far more rewarding.. and rare.. and reliable, and doesn't eat at my pocket money !
When i get fed up with money it uses i will get a normal car. Wedding and a house is on the cards. Cant have everything.

rascal69

Advanced Member
I just love what a Honda does.

Brilliant chassis, screaming NA power, MPG's (evo's are just ridicules on fuel when driving hard) cheap servicing (compared to the every 4,500 mile/6month evo servicing) and total reliability. It was always on my mind when really driving the Evo hard that something could break and cost a fortune. Eventually the AYC pump went (very common fault as I'm sure you know) There not cheap to have rebuilt, reinstalled, system bleed etc.

Not worried 1 bit about anything in my DC2 or any other of the Hondas I owned.

Each to there own I suppose but I won't get another Evo. They really are awesome cars but just not my cup of tea.
Yeah i get that fear to. Haha
Ayc pump, transfer box, diffs can all go out of the blue. All cost a good bit to fix.
But then again i spent 000's on dc5. I mean 000's :(
I dont plan on spending any more on evo apart from making it look nicer.
I serviced my honda every 3k miles and do the same with the evo so not that much a difference apart from more money for oil and extra labour.
You are right. When on full boost mpg is super bad. Single figures.
Argree on onething. The grip level is unreal?
When the boost comes it puts a big smile on your face and they sound awesome with anti lag.
I also like the lumpy idle. Sounds evo
See what i done there ha

jason100

Argree on onething. The grip level is unreal?
Couldn't agree more. It's insane how hard you can push them into corners! With that touch of oversteer as you come out :)

Like I said they're awesome machines. Having had 1 as my weekend toy was a costly ownership.

Would hate the thought of running it as a daily drive.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
My first DC5 I loved, stupidly sold it.

Bought my 2nd one about 2 days later... Then sold it too.

Then bought a 410BHP R33 Skyline GTR... Kept it two months and I'm now back in DC5 number 3.

A GTR is twice the car of an EVO and I STILL came back to the DC5 so moving to an evo would be a mistake, but everyone likes different things!