will i like a 5,after a dc2

mugen-r

after 5 years of owning a mugen dc2 i sold it and was thinking crz,or dc5. the dc5 is a stunning looking car ,not as focused looking as the dc2 imho as its starting to look like A classic honda now like the crx.
but for me its how the car feels, spooner and chalkie have moved over ok , while evs and raffe feel the dc2 is the better option. and rich at paw ,they have in no way slated the dc5 just said its there choice.
how many on hear have had a corker of a dc2 and now have a cracking dc5??, both cars are so close yet so differant i cant seem to go one way, back to a dc2-later a dc5?..im not after a normal car. the ep3/fn2 is too normal for me lol
just after peoples opinions on how the 5 feels, steering response ect. modding does seem much more expensive for the dc5 too ?thanks in advance from one confused ex teg owner

leejw87

Spoon Whore
My mate had a dc2 was a very good car, driven it a few times and spent many of time as a passenger, but the thing I didn't like is it just felt very tinny and dated.

I know people rave on about how focused they are compared to a DC5 but I feel a DC5 is more grown up and a good upgrade from the 2 maybe not quite as good as a driving machine but as a general car it is, you also have the looks, modern interior, refined engine, 6 speed box and just general better build quality, it feels more of a nicer car to be in.

I think the pro's of the DC5 out weigh the cons compared to a DC2.

Regarding mods I know things are more expensive but the k20 will respond to mods better than the b18c so you will see better results, hope this has helped

I'm biased by the way lol

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
the thing I didn't like is it just felt very tinny and dated.
that pretty much nails it for me and friends who experienced both cars as passengers.

"dated" was to be expected. The "tinny" / raw driving aspect I didn't enjoy as much as expected after owning a DC5 first.

The DC2 was literally a weekend toy for me whereas I was happy to drive the DC5 7 days a week.
Both great cars but for me personally I'd go DC5 any day for a more usable overall package.

integraleo

Advanced Member
that pretty much nails it for me and friends who experienced both cars as passengers.

"dated" was to be expected. The "tinny" / raw driving aspect I didn't enjoy as much as expected after owning a DC5 first.

The DC2 was literally a weekend toy for me whereas I was happy to drive the DC5 7 days a week.
Both great cars but for me personally I'd go DC5 any day for a more usable overall package.
personnaly ive had 3 dc2's over a 6 year period and had my dc5 4 months (which is now written off) on the dc5 i bought new tyres eibach lowering springs and eibach camber bolts and had the "fast road set up" done.and do u know what.....a standard dc2 still out handles it.the seats are slightly wider in the dc2 and the driving position is better (legs fall asleep and get cramped if covering any distance in the dc5) 1st through 3rd gear the performance is near identical if u have a 98 spec box,however 4th gear is mighty strong on the k20 engine and here u notice a difference.im actually now looking to get a b18 engined ek9 civic type r with a 4.9 final drive and i think i will be happy again.never was 100% sold on the dc5 and now my cheque has come through im fairly sure i wont buy another one.dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a dc5 its a very good car i just think ive been spoilt for so many years with a car that felt so good to drive i was expecting too much from it.
all of this is of course just my opinion and u might have different opinions.on a side note the brembo brakes are nowhere near as good as i was expecting,even with new OEM brembo discs and ferodo 2500 or whatever they are called fast road pads and fresh 5.1 fluid they didnt inspire much confidence,in fact standard 98 spec brakes felt better.
perfect combo would be dc2 or ek9 with k20 engine

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Sounds like you are pretty sold on the DC2 mate. If that is what you prefer, go for it.

You should maybe try and get a passenger ride in a modified DC5, one that has been kpro'd. My car is as different as day and night comparing before and after mapping. Feels like a different engine! People often said that the DC5 isnt as 'raw' as the DC2 or EK9, in standard form i would say this is true, but with a different induction kit (OEM set up isnt great) and a couple of other mods, i would disagree. Just a thought.

integrad

I had a dc2 for 5 years and have now owned a dc5 for 7 years they are both great cars but the driving feel is so different on the 5 compared to the 2 feels like a lighter car and still people comment on it saying what a great looking car there's not many 9 year old cars about that would get the same reaction.Go for the 5 you wont be sorry. ;)

scw02102

I had a DC2 a few years back and now DC5

They feel similar to me

Most people say the DC5 is more refine

Personally driving round town I find them similar but the DC5 is better on the motorway

The gearing is better and slightly quieter due to the 6th gear so easier to live with yet still fun through the twists

DC2 looks dated to me now and the interior still has the old skool slide knobs for air vents which looks very 80's :( Recaro are lovely though

hence I bought the DC5 which still stands out from the crowd but looks modern

viper1984

Advanced Member
I had a DC2 a few years back. Missed it after selling it, so looked for a another one. I couldn't find a DC2 in the condition i wanted, so went for a DC5.

I didn't expect it to be as good as the DC2, but after owning the DC5 for a while now, i definitely prefer the DC5 to DC2.

eXceed

Resident Driver
I think the resolution is obvious here, DC2 with a K20A dropped in? Or even an A2 if it's that much cheaper. Will have all the capabilities of a DC5 but with a more sorted/extreme chassis.

cpoh

Advanced Member
I owned a DC2 for 12 months and have my DC5 nearly 3 years. From my perspective my DC5 handles much better than my dc2, the dc2 had spoon springs and my 5 has tein flex coilovers so its not really a fair comparison.

The main issue i have with the dc2 was the engine. I loved my b18c but the issues with the distributor ignitors constantly going, valve stem seals going and piston rings too over time were a chore. Every dc2 will end up smoky and burning a fair bit of oil over time due to the tight tolerances it was built with. Bar one lamda sensor my dc5 has been flawless so far.

Other than that the brakes are a massive upgrade over the 282mm single piston dc2's (dont know what another poster was smoking saying they were better than the brembos), the exterior/interior looks are far superior and the k20 sounds fantastic and every bit as "raw" as the dc2 with an uprated intake and exhaust. Bang for buck the k20 offers so much more than the b18 too.

Then again this is a DC5 forum so people are obviously biased. Sure people on the ek9 forum will think theyre car is the best and same with itr-dc2.

jams

Ide love my dc2 back. Best car i have ever owned tbh. I love my dc5 but being in that little tinny box flying down some back lanes and the b18 on full tilt was great! As others have said the dc5 is more refined.

Ide say the dc2 is like some ruff and ready 18 year old tart that likes a good pasting

Dc5 is a more mature grown up milf who still likes a pasting but more relaxing and nicer to be around

just my twisted view on things tbh lol

mugen-r

i think peeps say the brakes are more touchy feely on the dc2, not that there better.
my dc2 was a good one and ran 226bhp on a dyno run ,the same as a flash pro fn2 on the same day.
i think i need a p ride in one asap, the only thing that annoys me is how the prices are so high for some really high mileage cars.. my dc2 at 9 years old with 55k was £7,000.
i felt connected to the dc2 while driving it, the steering response was sharp as hell and ive been told the 5 is not as sharp??. the dc2 felt on its toes
thanks em

cup_66

Advanced Member
I've owned 2 dc2s (both Jdm) and 2 dc5s.

As most say on here,the Dc5 is a lot more refined and grown up. Dc2 would probably just shade it on being a pure drivers car if thats what your after,but i prefer the Dc5.. Dc2s look a little dated and skinney as it were.. Where as you can make the 5 a lot rawer with intake,exhuast & Kpro etc,and look far superior imo. Dc2 was a nightmare on the motorway as well, especially with a spoon ecu..i thought the b series didn't respond to well to breathing mods,but mine was a absolute rocket with breathing mods and spoon ecu.

As said above i'd adivse a passenger ride in a kpro'd dc5 and see what you think!

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I think the trouble is too many DC2 owners that sell up try the 5 and try to compare how it handles and feels just coz it has the same name.

The DC2 was built in an era where
Cars wernt as advanced as they are today, and as times go on so does the Market for people that want comfortable sports cars for the road and not all out raw race cars, I think if you want the rawness and feel of the 2 stick with it and do a K20 conversion.

But Yeah definatley have a ride in one or better yet try and drive one somewhere, but I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cabinboy

Advanced Member
I've gone from a very sorted turbo charged CRX to a DC5 and I'm loving it, power steering, a/c and no burning oil smell.. win win, yes it's not the go cart the CRX was but as a complete package it's definitely better, but then I am 41 :wink:

I've never driven a DC2 so can't really compare the two, but one of the things a like about my DC5 is it's rarity, there seems to be loads of DC2's about.

Rog.

sinbad

Advanced Member
I've owned 2 dc2s (both Jdm) and 2 dc5s.

As most say on here,the Dc5 is a lot more refined and grown up. Dc2 would probably just shade it on being a pure drivers car if thats what your after,but i prefer the Dc5.. Dc2s look a little dated and skinney as it were.. Where as you can make the 5 a lot rawer with intake,exhuast & Kpro etc,and look far superior imo. Dc2 was a nightmare on the motorway as well, especially with a spoon ecu..i thought the b series didn't respond to well to breathing mods,but mine was a absolute rocket with breathing mods and spoon ecu.

As said above i'd adivse a passenger ride in a kpro'd dc5 and see what you think!

Similar to above really, I previously only had the eyes for a dc2 but as I had the money I ended up getting a DC5. I kept that for around 1.5 years and loved it, the Dc5's definatley need some breathing in my eyes, its just so quiet and boring as standard. With breathing you notice the vtec come in much more and it just feels that bit raw'er. I then moved on to a Dc2 which I owned for around 2 years, loved it. It really was great round the bends and as a driver you feel really connected with the drive, it was such a pleasure to jump in. However it was starting to feel dated, the interior although looks supurb and does everything really well it just looked old, the car in general needed alot of attention to keep it in good condition looks and mechanically wise. It was great as a toy and as something you only jumped into now and then. I'd always missed the DC5 so eventually went back to a supercharged one. Its just a better package in my eyes, more grown up, 6 gears, better engine, newer, just as rare and just as fun on an everyday basis, as i also knew it was going to be just as if not more reliable than the Dc2.

Although they share the same name they are different cars of a different era, there both great in there own ways. It really comes down to personal choice tbh, and no one can make that decision but you. Go out and test drive one if you can, preferably one with abit of breathing and a FRSU.

black teg

after 5 years of owning a mugen dc2 i sold it and was thinking crz,or dc5. the dc5 is a stunning looking car ,not as focused looking as the dc2 imho as its starting to look like A classic honda now like the crx.
but for me its how the car feels, spooner and chalkie have moved over ok , while evs and raffe feel the dc2 is the better option. and rich at paw ,they have in no way slated the dc5 just said its there choice.
how many on hear have had a corker of a dc2 and now have a cracking dc5??, both cars are so close yet so differant i cant seem to go one way, back to a dc2-later a dc5?..im not after a normal car. the ep3/fn2 is too normal for me lol
just after peoples opinions on how the 5 feels, steering response ect. modding does seem much more expensive for the dc5 too ?thanks in advance from one confused ex teg owner
IMO if you want to have a DC5 that handles and feels like a dc2 then i really dont think just fitting eibach springs and camber bolts is enough!!

ive owned both cars, and how my DC5 feels now i couldnt be happier, in standard trim i didnt like the suspension set up at all i found it far too soft for my liking..
IMO to make a DC5 handle "BETTER" than a dc2, you need to spend some money on some half decent coilovers!!....((Meister R coilovers seem to be getting excellent reviews lately and for only £630 )).. i have Tein flex coilovers and cusco front and rear anti-roll bars fitted and rear camber arms, oh and a PAW fast road/track setup ;o) Cheers Richy!!

and with this set up you wont loose your fillings on each pot hole lol..

good luck with whatever car you decide to buy..

tron2k3

Advanced Member
If you were thinking about a CRZ I imagine you have the budget to buy an FD2, have you considered an FD2?

Best of both worlds imo, the refinement of the DC5 and the handling characteristics of the DC2. Ask Evs about it he can vouch for the FD2. :wink: