Worst day of my life...Help and opinions need please

leejw87

Spoon Whore
My brother hydrolocked not too long ago in his Fiesta all i did was blow out the plug holes and pre heated the spark plugs to try to stop them fouling, after a few attempts it finally fired and after changing the oil took it for a good run.

It was hesitating somewhat through out the rev range but that was due to the fact the airflow meter had been damage by the water being sucked through it.. After fitting a second hand one from the scrappy she was as good as gold.

I would try exactly what Simon says first & hopefully you would have got away with it.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
good luck, if you were crawling before it stalled you have a chance, if you were mid vtec at 7000 in second its probably knacked.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Just seen this! Sorry to hear this Adam, really gutted for you was an amazing example. I would rebuild it, don't scrap it! (i didn't think you would)

When you heading up here?!

Worst day of your life?
Seriously?
Always a ball buster :xaiweb5:

coolerking

Advanced Member
Cheers guys thanks to everyone for all your support and kind messages, credit to this forum and the people on here,

Thanks si for the detailed response, ive not much knowledge of these things, so its nice to know before talking to gerry my mechanic when he goes through it with me, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I was warned by friends saying these recovery guys always say these kinda things, so hopefully si and lee are right, nice to know a bit more now

The car will definetely not be scrapped, the paintwork and bodywork is brand new, all new badges, rebuilt gearbox, new clutch and the interior is unblemished, the car deserves a great engine, if its knackered then its gonna be a special build!

It will also be staying N/A, and a better placed induction kit too! Would love a J's!

Thanks again for the support!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
one thing is for sure if the J's kit fills up with water you are in a whole load of crap, keep us updated ,

just remind your mechanic not to be tempted to try and start if it turns over without draining the oil and puting some crappy stuff in there, there will be water in it as it will have leaked past the rings, depending on the amount of water it ingested of course.

4JJE

Hi all. I have been away in Exeter for the weekend and got court in the flash flood/rain. I have a AEM long branch induction kit on my teg (not put on my me). anyway i have to serious incidents on the motor way with it sucking up water and had to pull over a few times, so its time for this to go. what should i be long at. I don't want to spend a lot really but need what best for the car.

should I just look for a short arm for it.

firthy22

Advanced Member
Gutted for you Adam. Worst is over now though, just look at the positive side and think of the shiney new engine with more BHP at the end of it :)

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
Bad times mate, alex said you was coming to JAE, i was really looking forward to seeing it :(

coolerking

Advanced Member
cheers guys for the messages of support, yeah gotta look at it from that point of view, I'm definitely set on having some better than I started with, sending a few e-mails today and started gathering some info, 275-280bhp is what I would be looking for

Yeah was really looking forward to JAE as well, definetly out of the question now :(

cpoh

Advanced Member
I'd rather not have that worry thanks all the same. ;)

As this example shows, you're more prone to hydrolock, even being as careful as can be :)
Trying to drive through a flood at least 1 foot deep is not being "as careful as can be".

If you are happy putting your car in those situations you are definitely right not to want to have a CAI with a bumper feed because this type of thing will result in hydrolock!

Ive had my CAI for 4 years and 100k and never had an issue in rainy ireland.

dotty

Advanced Member
Trying to drive through a flood at least 1 foot deep is not being "as careful as can be".

If you are happy putting your car in those situations you are definitely right not to want to have a CAI with a bumper feed because this type of thing will result in hydrolock!

Ive had my CAI for 4 years and 100k and never had an issue in rainy ireland.
Yeah we've definitely covered this one.

Ask the OP if he wanted to be in this position ?!

Then ask the OP whether he would be in the position if he didn't have a CAI by his front left wheel.

Then finally ask the OP if he thought the puddle was ok to go through.

The bottom line is this. If you run a CAI you are more prone to water ingested engine issues. I'd also bet a pound to a pinch of sh1t that anyone who has had these problems DID NOT set out to go through deep and unexpected puddles. The truth of the matter is this, more often than not you are caught out - as the OP states he was driving in an unexpected thunderstorm.

That's it :)

coolerking

Advanced Member
Yeah in touch today with TDI, told them I'm aiming for 280bhp+ N/A

There is no way in hell I will be running a CAI with a bumper feed, I never want to be in this position again, something so simple has ruined my engine, I was completely caught out, it was sunny when I left my mates, sunny for the first ten minutes, then all of a sudden theres lightning coming down less than 50 feet away from me, was pretty scared for the car at that point lol never mind what was to follow, It was completely dry and still sunny at my mates when all of this was going on, totally caught out.

my advice is don't run one of these CAI's incase this happens to you, and that is based on my experience.

simple as that really

duncan84

Advanced Member
What other systems is everyone running on here? I've been looking at the tegiwa kit for ages but keep thinking about the water been sucked in off the bonnet won't this cause the same problem?

What parts would you have to have fitted to be getting 280ish ?

Thanks

Duncan

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The Tegiwa box has a drain hole in the bottom, and the bulge shape means the filter is probably a good litre or so of water (estimate) above the lowest point.
I've gone back to my Apexi cone filter and left the scoop in place, it gets me closer and more consistent atmospheric preassure at WOT.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Yeah we've definitely covered this one.

Ask the OP if he wanted to be in this position ?!
Then ask the OP whether he would be in the position if he didn't have a CAI by his front left wheel.

Then finally ask the OP if he thought the puddle was ok to go through.

The bottom line is this. If you run a CAI you are more prone to water ingested engine issues. I'd also bet a pound to a pinch of sh1t that anyone who has had these problems DID NOT set out to go through deep and unexpected puddles. The truth of the matter is this, more often than not you are caught out - as the OP states he was driving in an unexpected thunderstorm.

That's it :)
I dont know what you are trying to say here. Look at the root cause analysis and you come to a very different conclusion than blaming a piece of equipment. You dont go through a flood unless:

1. You have no respect for your car

2. You are driving inappropriately for the conditions and dont spot the flood.

3. You do not understand the consequences of submerging your car under water.

Regardless of whether you have a CAI or not, abuse your car like that and you will end up with issues. Drive your car in a field with an aftermarket lip and you will destroy it, do you blame the lip or the person for driving their car in the field?

If I had a bloody snorkel on my DC5 i wouldnt drive it through more than a few inches of standing water.

Either way we went through this and the resounding consensus amongst DC5 owners who have owned these systems for years tried and tested was that once you drive your car with a little consideration you will be fine.

http://www.itr-dc5.c...page__hl__injen

Lets not drag this guys thread off topic.

my advice is don't run one of these CAI's incase this happens to you, and that is based on my experience.

simple as that really
Thats fair enough but genuinely mate you need to be more careful with your driving style if this stuff is catching you out. Either you ploughed through the water because it came at you unexpectedly (slow down and expect the unexpected) or you knowingly took a chance going through the flood (you should have turned around). Either way both were easily prevented. Im not trying to sh*t on you when youre down but you cant simply blame a piece of kit for something like this.

coolerking

Advanced Member
listen mate, I came off the roundabout at my area, then I have to take a left turn, I cannot see wait is there due to the overpass, SO I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TURNING INTO!!!

making any assumptions is pointless, want the to google streetview it since your so interested?