Bored with the teg, what next?

stux

Advanced Member
To put things into perspective, a standard UKDM Accord R will do the standing 1/4 in about 15-15.1secs, which is the same as a Ford Focus ST. Probably about half a second slower than a DC5 on the 0-100mph sprint, so not as fast but still pretty impressive. :wink:

I've managed 14.49s, but mine is slightly modified. :-"

garytc78

Advanced Member
I will take you up on the offer of going the triangle.
I really do miss my Teg but as you know it was not my choice but at least your going to
look after it.
By the way how did it go when you took it the triangle?

dave wilkinson

garytc78 said:
I will take you up on the offer of going the triangle.
I really do miss my Teg but as you know it was not my choice but at least your going to
look after it.
By the way how did it go when you took it the triangle?

i'v lost your number mate, give me a pm.

been there three times in it upto now, not been able book a trackday yet due to work and going on holiday. when i come back from wales rally next week ones getting booked :D

pic from the evo triangle, you can see how long the road goes on for.

TimPowell

I was hoping to stumble across a thread like this, didn't want to start banging up threads and get the infamous 'use the search button' reply :?

I've owned several Hondas to date, including 2 EK4's, an EG9, DC2, ATR and EP3.. what I have never had, but always wanted is a DC5. Currently I own a second generation Octavia VRS (2.0 turbo), which by a margin is the best car I have ever owned. It doesn't have the pace of my E36 M3 or the tactile excitement of my DC2 but it is solid, comfortable, reasonably nippy, supremely spacious and to date, very reliable having covered 80k miles in its almost 5 year existence.

Ever since my £800 introduction to VTEC Hondas I have been hooked, as a driving machine on my budget they are second to none. So, I wanted to find a thread where DC5 owners talked about their next car so I could see how highly you rate them... pretty highly it seems.

I've tasted K20A in my EP3 and it was a beauty, just the rest of the car wasn't up to it. Like for like I did prefer the extra drama of original flavour VTEC, but the DC5 has so many more desirable attributes than the EP3 that I don't consider it an issue.

Really, the DC2 is the benchmark Type-R for me and to date is the best driver's car I have owned. The ATR excited me initially, sort of like a Touring Car Type-R, real sense of occasion, but it couldn't displace the DC2 as my favourite.

My dilemma now is simple, can the DC5 replace such a capable car in the Skoda, one that is also £500 away from 250bhp/270lb/ft and win me over with it's purity, driver involvement and sheer Type-R ness?

I do also have 2 young children to factor in and with 2 less doors no ISOfix, there is a practicality issue also.

Look forward to your comments, and hello :)

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
dotty said:
Hello, yes is the simple answer :green:
Agreed......looks alone would have sold the `Teg to me .... its just like making a list for Santa at Christmas and when the Big Day comes along,all your boxes have been ticked.Had mine 5 yrs now and there is still nothing around its price range that I would change it for.Not only that,there are more than a few owners on here who had sold there `Tegs but have soon come back to the fold :D

TimPowell

I had my DC2 18 months, and still think of it fondly. DC5 does age the DC2 a lot I think, not sure I could go back there, great as it was.

The other good thing about the DC5 is the boot space, which by all accounts is generous.

I've had so many cars in my time, I think the Skoda is number 42 or something and I am fast running out of the enthusiasm to sell motors, so it has to be a good move if I do... god I am getting old.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
TimPowell said:
I had my DC2 18 months, and still think of it fondly. DC5 does age the DC2 a lot I think, not sure I could go back there, great as it was.

The other good thing about the DC5 is the boot space, which by all accounts is generous.

I've had so many cars in my time, I think the Skoda is number 42 or something and I am fast running out of the enthusiasm to sell motors, so it has to be a good move if I do... god I am getting old.
Tim,boot space is very good plus you can drop the rear seats too,making it massive!!I`m sure that if you asked nicely there will be one or two owners near to you who will give you a shotgun ride ;)

TimPowell

That would actually be really helpful, not sought out any Essex/Suffolk people but it would be great to see one in the flesh, nearest I have been is about 30ft from a DC5, madness.

Andy.

Advanced Member
TimPowell said:
Are the seats identical to the DC2?
Same seats, but i think the DC2 jobbies are slightly narrower. I sold my DC5 yesterday morning and bought a DC2 in the afternoon so had a fairly quick comparison, and there's not much in it.

Andy.

Advanced Member
Purely financial, Tim. Looming redundancies at work, two cars parked on the drive... something had to give.

Sold the DC5 (got a good offer on it) and my DA6 is also for sale, the plan being replace them both with just one cheaper Type R, which has turned out to be a DC2 (i was looking at EK9s also). The DC5 is a fantastic car, i loved mine and kept it longer than i've ever kept any car. If i didn't have so much going on then i would no doubt still own it. I think you ought to go for it, you won't be disappointed.

TimPowell

I'll be interested to hear how you enjoy violent VTEC, I always thought the K20 felt a good bit more powerful, but the good old B18C was more satisfying to extend, much of that was probably to do with the cars that housed them.

TimPowell

Grov said:
DC5 has Isofix AFAIK, the EP3 does.
Did you mean the DC5 doesn't? I know the EP3 does, as I owned one for a while. Neither car is great for lugging children in and out of, but once they're in there, ISOFIX is better and makes me feel slightly more responsible, not that the tiddlers go in my car much.

Grov

Banned
Nope, pretty sure it does, not actually checked as my lads baby seat is a normal one.

Well of course it's harder work than a 4 door, it's a 2 door coupe. I found it ok with 2 kids and a mrs in a EP3. Now ive got the Teg it's just me and my boy and it's fine, im used to getting half in and doing the seat up.

The DC5 is more civilised and a better daily than a DC2, the engine has far more lower down grunt as well.

TimPowell

Fancy taking a look between the rear seat bench and seat back so we know for sure? ;)

Be lovely if those little metal bars were hidden away in there somewhere :green:

How do you compare the seats to the DC2? They look identical.

Andy.

Advanced Member
TimPowell said:
I'll be interested to hear how you enjoy violent VTEC, I always thought the K20 felt a good bit more powerful, but the good old B18C was more satisfying to extend, much of that was probably to do with the cars that housed them.
To be honest, i've wanted to own a DC2 for a long time, having read so many fantastic reviews of them over the years. I don't see it as a step down from the DC5, i'm actually really looking forward to owning it. I'd agree that the 5 feels like it has more grunt, but the B18 is indeed a great motor and even though my drive home was almost all motorway, i still had fun in the DC2 :)

Anyway, i think we've slightly diverted off the thread topic here. Sorry vtecboy :oops:

rodney

Advanced Member
Welcome,

The DC5 has isofix, I'm 99%.

The seats are almost identical though the 5's seats are slightly thinner width wise on your thighs if you know what I mean.

I sold my DC2 for more refinement for the wee fella, regretted it at first as I missed the B18 but adding race header, Spoon system and more crucially GruppeM it has changed my mind and I wouldn't go back. Don't get me wrong the DC2 is epic but where I am at the moment the DC5 suits me well.