Brake caliper lacquer

Evs

Advanced Member
Been away for a few days and just got home to mine. Had forgotten all about it tbh and thought 'WTF is this and who's it from? :? '

Anyway nice job Pete, thanks very much it's been a pleasure doing business xthumbup :D

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Evs said:
Been away for a few days and just got home to mine. Had forgotten all about it tbh and thought 'WTF is this and who's it from? :? '

Anyway nice job Pete, thanks very much it's been a pleasure doing business xthumbup :D
No probs mate :)

Glitch

Advanced Member
NIce one for sorting this out mate and cheers for meeting me aswel. Ive done my calipers and they now look 10 times better! Spot on.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Glitch said:
NIce one for sorting this out mate and cheers for meeting me aswel. Ive done my calipers and they now look 10 times better! Spot on.
That's allright, thanks for buying. Haven't done mine yet as it's in at TGM's for some work doing. Will get them done when I get it back. Did you take the caliper completely off or just do it in situ. Any problems when you did it :?:

Glitch

Advanced Member
Na i just took the wheels off and cleaned the caliper up then masked the wole area off and sprayed them. Piece of cake. They look so much better! im well chuffed.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Would like to do it like that but the lacquer on mine has near enough completely gone, so think I will have to take off and do it properly.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
ollie-dc5 said:
Would like to do it like that but the lacquer on mine has near enough completely gone, so think I will have to take off and do it properly.
Get some wet&dry and then the entire top layer off to leave a dull red finish. Then lacquer them.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
ollie-dc5 said:
Get some wet&dry and then the entire top layer off to leave a dull red finish. Then lacquer them.
I'm gonna have to be careful as the lacquer is peeling over the top of the brembo logo and I don't want to wet and dry to much over that. Should be ok though.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
ollie-dc5 said:
I'm gonna have to be careful as the lacquer is peeling over the top of the brembo logo and I don't want to wet and dry to much over that. Should be ok though.
You should be ok if you remove JUST the lacquer on top of the logo

my front calipers are pink so lacquer will make them red again as i was thinking of going throught the whole sha bang of painting them but cant be arsed??

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
stephanie_duncan said:
my front calipers are pink so lacquer will make them red again as i was thinking of going throught the whole sha bang of painting them but cant be arsed??
yes the lacquer makes them bright red again :wink:

Just make sure you remove all the old lacquer and not the red paint (its very thin)

jay82

Advanced Member
what is the name of the lacquer for the brake cailpers? would any can of lacquer do the job?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Here you all go. speak to these guys about the laquer

Alpha Coatings, Chatham, Kent Tel. 01634 823900

Motip clear lacquer, resistant to 650 degrees C

You'll need 1 can to do all four Brembo callipers, a couple of sheets of 600 grit wet and dry and a preparation silicone cleaner.

1. Ideally remove each caliper but they can be done in situ if need be.

2. Thoroughly clean each calliper, a good blast of brake cleaner then a suitable wheel cleaner and rinse with clean water.

3. Use your finger nail to remove any loose existing lacquer, keep working away at this as it's surprising how much comes off. The more old lacquer you can remove the better the new finish will be. Do not use any sharp utensil to remove the old lacquer e.g. a screwdriver could easily scratch the paint and cause you more problems!

4. Once you have cleared the damaged lacquer, use the wet and dry with water and lightly sand the whole calliper apart from the Brembo logo. A straight edge on the paper will allow you to get very close to the logo without causing any damage to it. Sand even the areas where the existing lacquer shows no sign of wear, this will help the new lacquer bond as it's applied.

5. Be careful not to sand too heavily or for too long, a good indicator is when the water shows signs of pink/red i.e. you are lifting the surface coat of paint.

6. Wash thoroughly with clean water and dry. You will now be left with a rather sorry looking calliper, matt pink in appearance. Do not worry as the lacquer will restore the original deep red gloss finish when applied.

7. Use the preparation solution to completely clean and prepare the calliper (Alpha Coatings can supply if required). Simply apply to a clean lint free cloth and wipe the full surface of the calliper.

9. Completely mask the calliper taking good care to mask the open brake pad area, the bleed nipple and all directly surrounding areas. Time taken at this stage will save unecessary remedial time.

9. Before spraying the first coat of lacquer, I would advise that you use a hairdryer or heat lamp if you have one to ensure the calliper is completely dry. Any water residue will cause the new lacquer to blister.

10. Apply the first coat of lacquer, instructions on the can but basically an even coat and a light coat to prevent runs.

11. Leave for 15 mins before applying the second coat, another light coat.

12. Leave another 15 mins and then a third and final light coat.

13. The calliper should really be looking good now but leave for 30 mins and then using either a hairdryer or heat lamp, effectively bake the whole surface area of the calliper. This will help seal the lacquer and ensure a smooth glass like finish.

14. If you have removed and stripped each calliper completely you could bake it at 300 degrees C to provide the same finish. I guess that most people will treat these in situ though and you can achieve a very high quality finish by doing just that.

Time consuming to do properly but well worth it, good luck.