DC5 V's S2000

glenn3

My mate bought a red 00 S2000 last sunday and this moring him and another friend who has a 01 DC5 took both of them to a local track to see how they compared.

The S2000 is standard and the DC5 has a Mugen induction kit.

From a rolling start the DC5 pulled up to 5 car lengths.
From a standing start the DC5 pulled 2 car lengths.

After the straight line stuff they took them round the track and the DC5 was by far the better track car. Although this had to be expected with the track being damp and not suiting the S2000.

I had read before that the S2000's were slightly faster but this proves that there is very little between them, but at least the DC5 ended up in front! :D

G4Z

Yep :)

S2000 is slightly heavier and loses a few more hp to the wheels because its rwd. Stock for stock there pretty much even. For me an inexperienced driver would be quite abit faster in the DC5 :) But two pros driving there very evenly matched around the track. As seen on the bestmotoring videos. DC5 does hold the quicker Tsakuba record though 8)

mad

Although the two cars have similar performance they can't be easily compared, since they belong in two different categories. DC5 is a more racing car than the S2000. That's why and their name R vs. S. In my opinion both car are fabulous. Moreover if you want to compare two cars you let the same person drive them around the track in order not to be any matters of drivers ability.

ausR

Advanced Member
if the s2k owner only just got it and hasn't driven it much it doesn;t surprise me that the more experienced driver beat teh s2k, give him a few months to get used to it and hit the track again to see the result.

conoroneill

Advanced Member
The 2 cars are different classes. One is a RWD sports car, the other a FWD coupe so it's a bit like comparing Chelsea to the Chicago Bulls.

If you work for Toni & Guy you'll love the S2000.

If you work outside the hair care industry you'll love the DC5 :lol:

dan the man

Advanced Member
Funnily enough im gona look at s2ks. Ive been on track today in an old D reg 325sport. and rwd is so much fun i need to get myself one.

so still with honda gives me the S2K and eventually the NSX.

Raffe

Advanced Member
mad said:
DC5 is a more racing car than the S2000. That's why and their name R vs. S. .
PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Type R brand comes from taking a lesser model and up speccing it to a more performance baseed drive, remember the DC5 is just a normal coupe in other markets around the world.

The S2k on the other hand was designed from the outset as a 2 seater sports car, without compromise. The problem (or benefit as many owners see it) with the S2k is that its much harder to extract the best from it so it appears that lesser models are equally as capable if not better.

The s2k IS the sports car, the Type-R is Honda's take on the hot hatch :D

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
If your talking about the Euro Type R (EP3 ), this is honda's answer to the hot hatch...I believe the JDM Type R cars are a step above from all hatches in the market...

mad

Raffe said:
mad said:
DC5 is a more racing car than the S2000. That's why and their name R vs. S. .
PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Type R brand comes from taking a lesser model and up speccing it to a more performance baseed drive, remember the DC5 is just a normal coupe in other markets around the world.

The S2k on the other hand was designed from the outset as a 2 seater sports car, without compromise. The problem (or benefit as many owners see it) with the S2k is that its much harder to extract the best from it so it appears that lesser models are equally as capable if not better.

The s2k IS the sports car, the Type-R is Honda's take on the hot hatch :D
I agree with you that in a S2K is more difficult to take the best out of the car than in a FWD drive but that doesn't change that it is sport car. Additionaly DC5, if I'm not wrong , is officialy imported as a normal coupe only in US (under the brand Acura) and it has nothing to do with the original teg! If you are looking for a racing RWD why don't have a look at NSX type-R.

Either way the distinguish between R and S was done by the factory and i believe they know something more that we know :wink:

Raffe

Advanced Member
mad said:
Either way the distinguish between R and S was done by the factory and i believe they know something more that we know :wink:
Indeed..that one is a specced up base model and the other is a sports car 8)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Whatever you think the Intega Type r was designed by Honda as a track focused car, the S2000 was not, it is a Sports convertible.
Other DC5 body models were available but use civic parts to detune them.

Look at the difference in braking systems, chassis stiffness, seating type, etc etc and you see the S2000 is a great sports car but is not a designed track car, for example you could buy a teg from honda pre stripped ready for the track, they didn't sell an S2000 like that. Also those who have access to a Spoon parts catalogue will notice the massive range of parts available for the S2000 especially in the suspension bush page, every arm and bush on the car is available, then look for a dc5... urm only the front lower arms. Why? because spoon are unable to improve on the std parts. All the Tegs racing in the UK (other than BTCC) use std suspension arms and bushes. If you were to race a std S2000 it would fall apart quite quickly.

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
Ive had 1 DC2 and 3 DC5s just got a S2000 and im finding it great,

It one of those cars i find myself just going out for drives for the sake of it.

Looking forward to the summer,

Heres mine yesterday -

dan the man

Advanced Member
so u mean the s2200.. like ive ever heard of that

And as for s2k vs DC5..ones RWD and one isnt. in a tru car what should the front wheels be doing :?: :!:

matt b

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
so u mean the s2200.. like ive ever heard of that

And as for s2k vs DC5..ones RWD and one isnt. in a tru car what should the front wheels be doing :?: :!:
Steering and putting the power down :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just look at f1 cars :lol: