Dyno Charts!!

cpoh

Advanced Member
Not liking the look of your torque or bhp curve, way too much of a drop off before vtec engagement. As paul said it looks like he adjusted your fuel map and left the cam angles the same. I wouldnt have gone for that tunes if I was mapping my DC5 being honest, he's pretty novice with k20 engines.

How does it drive? Is the power delivery smooth? Dont be concerned with bhp figures, its ow the car feels and drives that counts!

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Well i will ring back on monday an see what he says about adjusting the cams. It seems good, only Vtec comes in later. But i would like to get it spot on. Do feel a slight dip when going for vtec though.

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
Let us know what happens TypeITR, v few good tuners if any in Ireland, though theres a guy down in Cork I.T that maps all of Icetronix's car..

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Well tdp is supposed to be the best. I know for fi cars anyway, they mapped the Irish Time attack winner, its an Evo also james dean s15 was mapped by them when he won irish prodrift. I never actually looked into a map from icetronix.

cpoh

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
Well tdp is supposed to be the best. I know for fi cars anyway, they mapped the Irish Time attack winner, its an Evo also james dean s15 was mapped by them when he won irish prodrift. I never actually looked into a map from icetronix.
I wouldnt be too concerned with bhp figures and race cars, engines are easily changed in these guys. What you want is a nice smooth power curve with decent road characteritics. It really looks from your dyno graph that he has just increased your fueling without taking any consideration for the power delivery. Take a look at the other dynos charts on the site with similar bhp figures and kpro and compare the curve.

Whats your mpg like? If it hasnt improved a good bit then there's also something up there.

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
Opinions please, k pro mapped today by a local tuner, mods are only cat back 5zigen and gruppem.

well mapping done and only a tiny gain in peak BHP and Torque, i am a bit dissapointed if i am honest but the car has only basic mods, gruppem and cat back. I would have got mani and RBC first but my engine management light sort of forced my hand a bit, this is turned off by the k pro. So i will get an RBC and mani and get the map tweaked and see if the kpro helps more then than it does now.

At least my base figure is good and was only 5bhp lower than the first rolling road day i did at another venue.

Power is about right for those mods,your never going to get more than 240 ish without header and rbc.then 250 will be possible.
torque looks very low for some reason, it doesnt get over 148 ft/lb until after 6k and thats not good.

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
paul hughes said:
Power is about right for those mods,your never going to get more than 240 ish without header and rbc.then 250 will be possible.
torque looks very low for some reason, it doesnt get over 148 ft/lb until after 6k and thats not good.

Thanks for you thoughts paul was hoping to get your opinion,your comment re the torque though, its over 140 pretty much from 2500 RPM though? But yes it doesn't get much over that until 6000 rpm.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Handy that they show AFR :idea:
How much did they charge and how long did they take? (Hope you dont mind me asking) :-k

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
£200 and took him a little over a day, very impressed with him as a person and a mapper, if anything can be suggested to improve it I am sure he will take it on board and tweek it for free. He only wants pennies to alter the map for future mods too which is great

Mark_teg

Staff member
Cardiff r33 said:
£200 and took him a little over a day, very impressed with him as a person and a mapper, if anything can be suggested to improve it I am sure he will take it on board and tweek it for free. He only wants pennies to alter the map for future mods too which is great
Sounds interesting Ben. How does it feel on the road now?
Whats vtec set to come in at? Still around 6k?

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
Not a huge amount different but i would have got a manifold and RBC first in an ideal world so mapping an almost standard car is hard. YEs VTEC is stil around 6k, interesting as he showed me lots of the dyno graphs when he was mapping it and it proved that between 5500 and 6000 the car was producing more power on the lower cams i.e. not in vtec.

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
Well i will ring back on monday an see what he says about adjusting the cams. It seems good, only Vtec comes in later. But i would like to get it spot on. Do feel a slight dip when going for vtec though.
What did they say when you called back?

I seen a DC2 with K20 which TDP mapped up to 260bhp with breathing mods only!

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Ya i rang him back and he said he adjusted the cam angles and everything. But the line would not straighten. So there was nothing more he could do. He told me they have tuned the most powerfull k20 in europe. He also said he has tuned loads of k20s and never had the problems like he did with mine :/ he worked on it from 11 - 3. TDP have a lot of well tuned car around allright

cpoh

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
Ya i rang him back and he said he adjusted the cam angles and everything. But the line would not straighten. So there was nothing more he could do. He told me they have tuned the most powerfull k20 in europe. He also said he has tuned loads of k20s and never had the problems like he did with mine :/ he worked on it from 11 - 3. TDP have a lot of well tuned car around allright
That is complete nonsense, if you believe that line you are worse than him for coming out with that rubbish. A couple of things, power figures are all relative, different dynos will read differently they really are a nothing issue. All a dyno is good for is tuning a car and showing improvements with modifications. The most important thing with any tune is the power curve, nice smooth and progressive power right through the rev range to the read line. Your power curve looks like a dogs dinner and no nonsense about "most powerful k20's in europe" would sway me from that. 4 hours is small time for a map from scratch.

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
Geeze dunno what to say about that, i mean that K20 DC2 that he tuned is hitting 260bhp and 196lb/ft torque! With breathing mods only! I can copy the dyno graph if you like but it looks v smooth..

I would like to see the spec of that DC2 with 260 and 196ft/lb. ^^ but then again every mod to the intake,,head,,or exhaust,,is a breathing mod :xlol: :xlol:
so on that premise we have seen 275bhp NA from a K20 block with ""Breathing mods"" ^^ or 305bhp with volumetric mods.!

TyperItr

Advanced Member
well he is a 3.5 hr drive from where i live, i rang him back he even didnt seem very happy i rang him back im not going to drive that long to have nothing done. dont know whatmore i can do really bar go spend the same again with a different tuner

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
paul hughes said:
I would like to see the spec of that DC2 with 260 and 196ft/lb. ^^ but then again every mod to the intake,,head,,or exhaust,,is a breathing mod :xlol: :xlol:
so on that premise we have seen 275bhp NA from a K20 block with ""Breathing mods"" ^^ or 305bhp with volumetric mods.!
Something strange going on when he maps the same engine with 25lb/ft torque less! I dunno if a manifold and decat could explain that, maybe a high comp gasket too?