Engine Bay Detailing

Erm

Advanced Member
Chemical guys grime reaper is awesome if your engine bay is a right mess and not been cleaned for ages/ever.

Agree with rom. Toothbrushes are great for engine detailing.

dave7368

Advanced Member
don't really need to do much cleaning under there, just need a few big shiny bits there to take peoples attention away from the crappy bits...

ChesterJSY

Toothbrush is also my method for cleaning the engine bay along with auto glym engine degreaser. Not just any toothbrush though... I have an old electric one I use which works best but also use a traditional style toothbrush that vibrates.. So much better than a standard toothbrush ! My neighbours think I'm nuts ;)
I also use a jet wash or hose to clean the de greaser off and never had an issue. The finishing trick is to spray auto glym vinyl and rubber care over the bay when your finished and whilst it is still wet, shut the bonnet and it drys lovely :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Nice one guys! Thanks for the advice once again it's a great help.
:)

Will give it another go, hopefully should see better results from it next time as some of the grime has already been lifted. I'm still going to cover up all the electrical bits just in case. I've also got some stuff to bring the black out on the plastic parts a bit more so should look better.

Rom

Advanced Member
ChesterJSY said:
Toothbrush is also my method for cleaning the engine bay along with auto glym engine degreaser. Not just any toothbrush though... I have an old electric one I use which works best but also use a traditional style toothbrush that vibrates.. So much better than a standard toothbrush ! My neighbours think I'm nuts ;)
I also use a jet wash or hose to clean the de greaser off and never had an issue. The finishing trick is to spray auto glym vinyl and rubber care over the bay when your finished and whilst it is still wet, shut the bonnet and it drys lovely :)
But how do you ram them in places they shouldnt fit ?! :xgrin:

To be honest, mines still not finished from import. As ive been nusy doing other things. But once i get round to it, it will never need more than a spray and jetwash again.

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
I Always use the Autoglym stuff (Engine cleaner and vinyl & rubber care), gives a perfect finish.
A tip for drying, I always use my leaf blower to dry the engine ;)

ChesterJSY

Rom said:
But how do you ram them in places they shouldnt fit ?! :xgrin:

To be honest, mines still not finished from import. As ive been nusy doing other things. But once i get round to it, it will never need more than a spray and jetwash again.
The standard toothbrush gets in most places as they are quite flexible, for the awkward bit's I wrap a small piece of micro fibre cloth round the brush to agitate the dirt. When I first did it I took the front wheels off and there is reasonable access from inside the arches for those hard to reach places. I did scrape a few knuckles doing it but no pain no gain.... Once it is done it is easy to keep clean :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Last did this before Japfest 2 last year but it was a rush job. Mainly used Chemical Guys citrus all clean but it didn't bring it up well, so decided to have another go this morning but using the Gunk auto foam along with a mix of the all clean as a spray, this was to go at any tricky bits and an old toothbrush, could have done with a firmer brush tbh.

Finished it off with some detail spray followed by Poorboy's black hole gaze to darken things up and the some Chemical Guys G6 hypercoat on the black bits to give them a newer, fresher look.

Has definitely come up better but still not 100% happy with it. Will have a much better go at it before Japfest in May but will take longer this time. Need to get the manifold cover off too which I didn't do today.

Some before pics

Some after pictures

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers buddy.

Hasn't come up fantastic. Need a good hour or so on it but it's certainly cleaner than it was.

It's so hard to get into the nooks and cranny's, even with a toothbrush.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
It takes forever!! But worth it in the end. Looking good though Marc. Starting already??! 😉👍

Mark_teg

Staff member
Good work Marc! As Adam says, just keep on top of it and you'll find it will get better with each clean :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
It takes forever!! But worth it in the end. Looking good though Marc. Starting already??! 😉👍
Cheers lads!!
Mark_teg said:
Good work Marc! As Adam says, just keep on top of it and you'll find it will get better with each clean :)

p1tse

Advanced Member
Looks a good effort

What are all the extra wires?
Also I don't think I have a black hose running central from front to back?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Looks a good effort

Cheers Patch.

Hasn't come up great, but better than it was. It has a Sun Automobiles hyper ground wiring system which is the blue wires so it could be that. Supposed to help with the voltage but I think it's all a gimmick tbh, came with the car.

Unsure what you mean about the pipe?? Mine is completely standard engine and air box wise.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Do you mean the thin pipe from the left of the air box? If so I don't know what it is. Someone else might know. Don't think it's a modification of any sort, looks standard.

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
Aircon pipe I believe, it's there on mine too. Might be wrong as I haven't been under my bonnet for a while and may be confusing it with my DC2

Chewy

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Looks a good effort

I believe that would be the aircon pipe? If it's the fat one in the middle you're referring to.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
I believe that would be the aircon pipe? If it's the fat one in the middle you're referring to.
I think he's referring to the long slim one that goes from the bonnet to the back of the engine.