They may have:

* Pierced the oil filter when tightening it

* Not tightened the filter / sump plug enough

or

* Forgot to replace or damaged the sump washer

Neil_H

Advanced Member
rick c said:
I've been through the courts to resolve a similar situation. Its an absolute pain in the arse but if you're a fairly clever chap you can do it all yourself.

My main advice is EVIDENCE! Take pictures of everything, record times of everything... also you need to get that car towed to the garage ASAP and just dump it in their car park until this is resolved.

You need to get an independent inspection done of the car. Mine was about £150 and was all the evidence I needed in respect of the cause of the failure. I'm happy to give you the number of the guy I used though he's based in the midlands I'm sure he could travel down to you.

Ultimately the outcome of this is in your hands. If you really believe the garage is at fault and you play your cards right with respect to evidence etc then there's no reason you have to lose.

The small claims system is straightforward and as long as you represent yourself it only costs about £100 or thereabouts.

Of course the ideal scenario is that the garage offer to repair the car themselves free of charge, but I'd be very surprised if they do.

Best of luck mate. PM me if you need any advice.
Thanks! An independent assessor who can come to me is what I need, I'm happy to pay as long as they are good. If you could send me their details I would appreciate it.

I'm not sure I want to dump the car at the dealer just yet, I want to make sure that they are responsible first. I don't want to be stuck with storage charges etc Nor do I want them fiddling around without me knowing what's going on.

An oil leak does sound possible, I hadn't noticed myself but my Dad collected the car for me after it was serviced and he noticed a small amount of oil on his drive - he assumed they had just spilled some.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, keep it coming!

kingston said:
if your up for selling the old rocker cover, let me know
Oh FFS - no I won't, dumbass.

timp

Advanced Member
i wouldn't think the plugs would cause this, just a real bad miss fire prob.
maybe they didn't seal the oil drain properly or tighten the filter back on tight but an inspector will be able to tell you for sure.

you would have to be real unlucky for your motor to just let up like that with no warnings before hand and as it just had a service then you would have to think there was a link.

If it was the garage then when you get them to pay, shame them!!

Sounds like oil so sounds like the engine is mashed, maybe the bores and the crank seat isn't too bad so a toda stroker kit would be nice!!

good luck with getting the garage to pay for it, hopefully you will have it on the road again soon

premadonna555

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
Could have been an oil leak.

They may have:

* Pierced the oil filter when tightening it

* Not tightened the filter / sump plug enough
These are top of my list, is the oil filter still attached?

linzi94

Advanced Member
what style of driving were you practicing in lane 3?

thats what will be questioned by the garage who serviced your car when you return with your complaint.

its a common problem missing the gear youre looking for and shifting down 2 gears too many at high revs.... (EP3's are famous for it)

if it was a honda dealer they'll use that one :roll:

as has been said - evidence.

i hope you get it all sorted ok.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Filter is still in place, haven't checked the sump plug yet.

I was accelerating in VTEC at the time and it certainly wasn't an overrev. I think physical evidence should back that up?

fonz600

Advanced Member
If I remember right, the dealer can check the ECU for stuff like over revs. Either that or it was scare mongering to a mate of mine from a dealer.

It does sound like an oil issue tho.

acepty

Advanced Member
If it was short on oil to cause a potential problem like this, shouldn't the oil warning lamp show up in the cluster seconds before braking down?

taking in to account he was accelerating in straight line of course,
or the same problem of starvation that occurs during hard turns can happen in straight line accel without warning? :?

dotty

Advanced Member
If the filter is still in place then I suspect the sump plug may have fallen out.. However if he was on the M1 then I suspect the car would have dumped its oil load long before that.

If the sump plug is in place then I can only assume an incorrect amount of oil was put in, if it is an oil case of course.

I would be curious to know which garage this was if they are to blame :evil:

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Ok, just checked and oil drain plug is still there.

I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be in order to get an easy answer, but the plot thickens I guess.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
And the oil filter? I know there's probably oil everywhere but any chance of some close up pics? Where is the break in the block etc?

rick c

Advanced Member
Mate you need to go and take 10+ hi res detailed pics of the car and stick them on here (they can be removed after if needed) someone on here will probably be able to give a good diagnosis.

But ultimately you'll need an independent inspection doing, it'll give you leverage with the garage as well.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Where abouts is that hole exactly? Looks like it's thrown a rod from looking at the size and shape of the hole.

Lots can cause this but to sum it up; ether something was shagged beforehand, it got worse then went; or there wasn't enough oil in the engine either caused by sudden loss or loss over a gradual time (the former in this case judging by the service). The last option is over revving the engine, but on your word, this isn't the case. The only way to know for sure is for an expert to strip the engine and inspect everything. More often then not they should be able to tell you the cause of the failure.

It might also be worth getting the fault codes read from your ECU if it is storing any. If it's storing an over rev then this could have caused fatigue on the internals and they just go due to wear.

Oil light will come on when damage is done or when there's a faulty sensor so its hardly like it that you would have noticed, especially if you was caning it and lets hope looking ahead and not at your dash.

Two things kill the K series engine mainly, lack of oil or oil starvation, and too many revs. One of these I suspect killed yours.

Sorry to see this all mate, I'm totally gutted for you.

fonz600

Advanced Member
I'm not wanting a name but was it a dealer? Sorry if it's been said before but only just reread your first post and last post.
Did the valve clearances get done it this service?
Also rereading your first post, you said there was oil everywhere after the bang. Do you mean flying out the back of your car or just all over the engine? Only asking as it could mean you did have oil in your car at the time of the failure.
I'm just trying to elminate stuff but taking the head and sump off may answer more questions for you.