Engine Blown!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Fonz, 2 liters of 100 deg warm oil spewing out of a small hole in the block at high pressure will make hell of a mess. Just because there seemed to be loads of oil there, doesn't mean there was the full 3.7-4.7 liters in the engine at the time.

Hope you follow.

fonz600

Advanced Member
I follow. I'm only trying to ascertain how much oil.
I wasn't saying yay or nay to the oil theory as I reckon it is that myself but it could also be a mechanical failure of some sort as well which is why I asked about the valves.
Just looking at other possibilities.

CTR_Chris

Advanced Member
sad news mate

Love the way everyone is straight onto blame the person who serviced the car :roll:

we get this at work "you fitted a stereo in my car last week and now one of my headlight bulbs has blown" :roll:

Im not sure it matters who serviced it, an engines and engine they all work in the same way. I do accept that at the service that a mistake could of been made, over filled with oil for example? but we will see

As stated though, get it checked out independantly before trying to burn down you local dealer :lol:

good luck

terminator x

I thought that the Honda Vtec engines never blow up :xconfused: that's all I ever hear when people talk about them! Seems to be an urban myth then ...

BTW the engine on an old car of mine blew up just after a service (STi Ver V). Once the garage confirmed that it had oil in it they basically cut me adrift & said prove we did anything wrong :evil: Impossible to prove anything of course so you'll probably need some goodwill on their part I'm afraid.

TX.

Gunn79

Advanced Member
terminator x said:
I thought that the Honda Vtec engines never blow up :xconfused: that's all I ever hear when people talk about them! Seems to be an urban myth then ...
The story Honda like to tell is there has only been one or two failures of the VTEC system, not the engine.

raz786

Advanced Member
terminator x said:

BTW the engine on an old car of mine blew up just after a service (STi Ver V). Once the garage confirmed that it had oil in it they basically cut me adrift & said prove we did anything wrong :evil: Impossible to prove anything of course so you'll probably need some goodwill on their part I'm afraid.

TX.
The Honda VTEC engine is probably one of if not the most "bullet proof" engine out there mate, BUT it is still an engine, if there's no oil then it won't be Oil-Proof I'm afraid.

Hope you get the car sorted mate, for an engine to go bang so soon after a service from a dealer would make me suspicious of their work, hope the independent assessor is able to prove that, if not then TGM is a good place.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
I'm arranging an inspection now, ideally I want to get this done before speaking to the dealer so I have some idea of what happened. I know the dealer will simply say "bring it in and we'll have a look", after which they will say "not our fault".

If I can get home at a decent time tonight I will try and get some better pictures and have a good look around. Just realised I didn't take any of the oil filter last night.

conoroneill

Advanced Member
Gunn79 said:
The story Honda like to tell is there has only been one or two failures of the VTEC system, not the engine.
Other way about mate. Honda claim that there has never been a recorded failure of an iVTEC system.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Not wanting to sound like a swot, but the claim is actually: There has never been an engine failure caused by the VTEC system. IIRC that is :lol:

premadonna555

Advanced Member
Never been a failure of the vtec system, allegedly. But we saw plenty of blown dc2 engines. (Over-revs normal cause).

I would go as far as saying that i bet there is very very very few honda engines that have had serious problems that aren't due to neglect/modifcation/user error.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
redcap said:
Neil, sorry to hear abot your troubles, saw this and thought it might be of interest?

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=164787

If you want more details please e-mail amfbodystylin@hotmail.com not me ! This is the seller

Engine + Gearbox + runnng gear - £1800
Can't see that site without registering (does anyone else find sites that do that annoying?)

Is it a DC5 engine or a CTR engine? Can anyone tell me if there's any difference between them apart from the ECU?

If they're the same I guess that would make finding a used engine easier.

redcap

Advanced Member
It's from an EP3 but as far as i know they are the same, someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

CTR_Chris

Advanced Member
redcap said:
It's from an EP3 but as far as i know they are the same, someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

No DC5 makes more power through diferent Cams and ECU. apart from that they the same, so you could use the block ok

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
CTR_Chris said:
redcap said:

No DC5 makes more power through diferent Cams and ECU. apart from that they the same, so you could use the block ok
Chris, they have a different compression ratio, dont know if this is the block or teh head or jst the gasket but they are different.

Greensprout

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
Gunn79 said:
Other way about mate. Honda claim that there has never been a recorded failure of an iVTEC system.
Their actual statement is that they've never had a VTEC/iVTEC failure under warranty.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
EP3 engine is a bit different then DC5 engine. Too many differences to list but main ones are cams, ECU and compression ratio.