Exhaust

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
We all had ProRacer's, which I did some research on. Toda did some dyno testing on them and they were really bad. They're sold for the R, and I doubt they'd be fitted in Japan if they weren't for an R. It's enough to put me off for life when there's much better systems like: Kakimoto, Fujitsubo, Toda etc etc

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I agree totally mate. Just saying some of the others not criticising 5zigen as a whole could have had the other exhausts. No doubt at all that the proracer is a pile of dog poop.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Get what your saying Sam, I suppose that's enough to put you off. I was watching in shock with regards to how many people had suffered with it so closely... I personally loved the sound Adams old spoon and 5zeigen setup made, certainly didn't feel restricted either. so unless the issues led within the centre section ?

Also if the systems old and internally destroyed that's not going to help. I had an old Kaki which I had to rip apart as that had collapsed, yet I would still buy another.

Also knew an owner with a 5z on his EK9, that didn't hang about either, also a lovely system. Either its a design flaw with the ones made for the DC5, or its coincidence that all the older systems were failing, and one person posting was enough to make others check and question theirs. With the amount they would have sold over the years 5 really isn't a big number thinking about it.

Not having a dig, etc as like you if it happened to me, I would be hesitant (no pun intended) to buying something that's failed me, however I would still be curious and reserve judgment for a newer system. :)

I can recommend the Toda however, . Quiet yet noticeable, but a nice howl when pushing on.
See what your saying with 5 being a small number but you've also got to weigh that up against a plethora of unwise car enthusiasts who may be none the wiser. It could be their first fast car and be none the wiser to the cars prob. Sam is really really clued up on mechanics and the basic principles surrounding engines and all things I haven't a clue on. Lol!!!

I would say that if you look through threads properly it wasn't one issue that made others scrutinise their system. It was 4 or 5 completely separate threads with innocent complaints about the car in general. I believe it no coincidence that they all problems were solved after the awful pro racers were disposed of. I also believe Toda tested the Pro Racers many moons ago and commented how diabolical they were. As I say though 5zigen do more that one exhaust as you will be aware. So for me the awful pro racer performance does not mean their other parts are as such as the Pro racer.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
I agree totally mate. Just saying some of the others not criticising 5zigen as a whole could have had the other exhausts. No doubt at all that the proracer is a pile of dog poop.

But hey doesn't matter because it's only 5 people all on the same forum

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
See what your saying with 5 being a small number but you've also got to weigh that up against a plethora of unwise car enthusiasts who may be none the wiser. It could be their first fast car and be none the wiser to the cars prob. Sam is really really clued up on mechanics and the basic principles surrounding engines and all things I haven't a clue on. Lol!!!

I would say that if you look through threads properly it wasn't one issue that made others scrutinise their system. It was 4 or 5 completely separate threads with innocent complaints about the car in general. I believe it no coincidence that they all problems were solved after the awful pro racers were disposed of. I also believe Toda tested the Pro Racers many moons ago and commented how diabolical they were. As I say though 5zigen do more that one exhaust as you will be aware. So for me the awful pro racer performance does not mean their other parts are as such as the Pro racer.

Cheers Chris, all it boils down to is a few of us have had a really bad experience with a very, very hard to diagnose issue.

The reason why I'm so annoyed by them is how hard it was to find out why and no one could explain or help. The problem was that exhaust would only restrict the car when VTEC engaged, the car would be fine off VTEC even if you booted it. Soon as VTEC engaged, bogs. This means you end up chasing VTEC issues, oil pressure, MAF sensor, VTC, ECU etc. I even had mine on live diagnostics and the problem didn't show. Once on the dyno the car showed that once in VTEC it ran extremely rich, this leads you to O2 sensors, timing chain wear and VTC issues. Imagine how annoying and stressful this sounds when no one can tell you anything or tell you it's something expensive.

After spending time changing parts and listening to people it was very frustrating. Enough for me to passionately hate them.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Cheers Chris, all it boils down to is a few of us have had a really bad experience with a very, very hard to diagnose issue.

The reason why I'm so annoyed by them is how hard it was to find out why and no one could explain or help. The problem was that exhaust would only restrict the car when VTEC engaged, the car would be fine off VTEC even if you booted it. Soon as VTEC engaged, bogs. This means you end up chasing VTEC issues, oil pressure, MAF sensor, VTC, ECU etc. I even had mine on live diagnostics and the problem didn't show. Once on the dyno the car showed that once in VTEC it ran extremely rich, this leads you to O2 sensors, timing chain wear and VTC issues. Imagine how annoying and stressful this sounds when no one can tell you anything or tell you it's something expensive.

After spending time changing parts and listening to people it was very frustrating. Enough for me to passionately hate them.

I can't imagine mate. I guess I was lucky that Kakimoto do a lovely exhaust in the Regu 06 😍

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
5 of us have had the same issue, same catback system. All have been rectified with a new system?

Forgive me for being annoyed for having to buy a new system because the other one was a load of crap. I've spoken to multiple people all of which have said the same. It's easy for you to say as you haven't had the trouble of trying to solve what the problem was. I won't recommend excrementZigen to anyone, they belong in the bin.

Wasn‘t being funny atall mate. :O Was merely giving my two cents worth? As i said, ive not personally had any gripes with them, ive not personally bought anything with that brand, but it does just seem to be the pro racer thats the issue... so sorry to touch a nerve bud. Ive also got a wealth of knowledge, and trying to help by putting things into perspective, I won‘t do any more research on it, you seem to have done enough and ill leave it at that.

Thinking about it, miracle fireball is what both Adam and The EK9 owner both had...with zero issues. But I shall take your word for it with the pro racer model. Doesn‘t sound great.

What I was trying to explain was, everyday someone is having major issues with stuff when others are getting on just fine with theres..parts fail etc and some hate them and wouldn‘t recommend them, where as others would praise them to the high heavens.

Im waffling.. sorry again, didn‘t mean to put backs up etc, i know it's gotta be a pita when it shouldn‘t have to be changed...believe me ive also been there with mine. 7 years of ownership hasn‘t gone without its pitfalls.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Wasn‘t being funny atall mate. :O Was merely giving my two cents worth? As i said, ive not personally had any gripes with them, ive not personally bought anything with that brand, but it does just seem to be the pro racer thats the issue... so sorry to touch a nerve bud. Ive also got a wealth of knowledge, and trying to help by putting things into perspective, I won‘t do any more research on it, you seem to have done enough and ill leave it at that.

Thinking about it, miracle fireball is what both Adam and The EK9 owner both had...with zero issues. But I shall take your word for it with the pro racer model. Doesn‘t sound great.

What I was trying to explain was, everyday someone is having major issues with stuff when others are getting on just fine with theres..parts fail etc and some hate them and wouldn‘t recommend them, where as others would praise them to the high heavens.

Im waffling.. sorry again, didn‘t mean to put backs up etc, i know it's gotta be a pita when it shouldn‘t have to be changed...believe me ive also been there with mine. 7 years of ownership hasn‘t gone without its pitfalls.
No problems mate, just bringing back the frustrations I had with the bloody thing. Didn't mean to blow my top but we had all really struggled with it.

We all have good and bad experiences with brands etc, I'm usually forgiving with stuff but that took the monkeys with the amount of worry it gave me! I just don't want people to be in the same position as I was that's all mate

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
None taken. :) I fully get it. Like I said, ive had my fair share of pain in the arsenal things happen to the bloody teg in 7years so appreciate the frustration. Haha il

p1tse

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
... I personally loved the sound Adams old spoon and 5zeigen setup made, certainly didn't feel restricted either. so unless the issues led within the centre section ?
If I remember rightly adam started to have some issues of sort when he was getting a hondata ecu, I can't quite remember if the issues, but i wander if it was caused by the exhaust though

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
There are few manufacturers that make decent aftermarket components in truth. Don't forget that the cars are approaching 17 years old now, which means that the age of some mods is the same. Lesser made components simply won't last that long.

Liam

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
If I remember rightly adam started to have some issues of sort when he was getting a hondata ecu, I can't quite remember if the issues, but i wander if it was caused by the exhaust though
I believe Adam's was a 5zigen fireball rather than the pro racer which seems to be causing issues. Mine came imported with a fireball and I've had no issues whatsoever.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Had a mugen on mine then went to a buddy club spec iv but finally ended up with a full solid fab system. Its not loud.. makes noise when you want it to but sounds meaty. Im more then happy.

impne

Advanced Member
I had a buddy club on my first one 10 years ago, wish I‘d kept that exhaust. Wish I‘d kept my titanium one as well I think that was the best for sound I‘ve had so far but only ever seen one since, I only paid £50 for it as well 😂
Was on eBay from DCY and ended Christmas eve on auction, obviously everyone was out buying Christmas presents and missed it, good news for me 👍

Rom

Advanced Member
I run a Buddyclub spec 3 and Buddyclub header. It's savage loud. I'm starting to think of a quiter solution, but that means a remap.

Wasn't a fan of the twin loop, came straight off almost.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I loved the twin loop.. had a toda manifold too so was bit louder. But my solid fab is perfect for me now.. i dont annoy neighbours but has a roar when i want it to

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
I read on the first post that the skunk2 system was mega loud; just a quick question here which could start a debate...

I've currently got an rm01a catback system and I'm looking to replace the oem manifold. So far I've been offered both skunk2 and dc sports manifolds.

I quite like the subtle tone of the rm01a and love the grunt when vtec kicks in. However I would like more power and wouldn't mind a little a more noise.

What would the rm01a and skunk2 manifold combo vrs the rm01a and dc sports manifold combo be like over the rm01a and standard manifold?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Carl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
carlos7777777 said:
I read on the first post that the skunk2 system was mega loud; just a quick question here which could start a debate...

I've currently got an rm01a catback system and I'm looking to replace the oem manifold. So far I've been offered both skunk2 and dc sports manifolds.

I quite like the subtle tone of the rm01a and love the grunt when vtec kicks in. However I would like more power and wouldn't mind a little a more noise.

What would the rm01a and skunk2 manifold combo vrs the rm01a and dc sports manifold combo be like over the rm01a and standard manifold?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Carl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A few people have had fitment issues with skunk2 manifold, but as for power/ sound. They will both be roughly the same

Midnight

Advanced Member
Both skunk2 and DC Sports manifolds will be similar in sound. It's the catback which will initially give the sound.

So they both will be identical sounds with the same catback and a little bit louder than the OEM manifold.