GearBox Oil Change

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Looking to do this myself one weekend soon.

Read up about the correct oil to use but need to know details on the procedure.

i.e sump nut location, filler hole location if not the same, do I need a pump of some sort.

Heard 1.5ltr is correct amount but not sure after reading posts saying 2 or more. How can you tell when full with no dip stick etc?

Hope someone can shed some light?

Thanks

Dan

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Remove the passenger side wheel and liner.
Drain plug and fill hole should now be visible on the gearbox housing.
Remove both to drain
Use a syringe to fill it up and when the oil reaches the fill hole and starts to pour out you're done. There isnt a dip stick or level marker.

HTH

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
Nice one Nick. 8)

I think of syringes ,as tiny pencil like things,(i've seen "Trainspotting") :lol:

How much MTF,roughly,do you need? And where can you buy a syringe,without getting arrested?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
chalkie said:
Nice one Nick. 8)

I think of syringes ,as tiny pencil like things,(i've seen "Trainspotting") :lol:

How much MTF,roughly,do you need? And where can you buy a syringe,without getting arrested?
:lol: eBay sell them...obviously buy a large one or you'll be there all day pumping 1.5ltr of fluid ;)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers for advise.

I've decided to go with honda oem MTF in the end. Do you know if their bottles come with the flexi hose on already so all you have to do is squeeze the bottle etc with no need to buy the drug applicator from ebay :lol:

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
another quick question...

will the oil drain by gravity or is the nut on the side and requires a pump etc?

Thanks

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
another quick question...

will the oil drain by gravity or is the nut on the side and requires a pump etc?

Thanks
Its drains out under gravity

Initial D

Advanced Member
The way i filled mine up was to cut a garden hose long enough to get from the fill hole up into the bonnet just behind the airbox. Then useing a funnel poor the oil in. You can use clear hose so u can see when it starts to get full. Hope that helps :)

pete_griff

tricker_luke said:
How often do the oils need to be changed?
most manufacturers quote something like 40-60k miles.

i'm unsure as to honda's exact specificaions and service intervals, but if it was me i would do it about every 30k, maybe every 20k, depending on what sort of driving the car had done.

you'd be surprised when changing the oil - if the old stuff is nasty, the new oil can make the gear change feel a fair bit nicer :)

and you can't put a price on keeping things in there nice - got to look after that LSD!

edit - i'm not sure if the teg comes with a magnetic plug as standard, but if it doesn't then that's a worthwhile additon for just a few quid.

keeno

coyote_dc5 said:
Looking to do this myself one weekend soon.
Read up about the correct oil to use but need to know details on the procedure.
i.e sump nut location, filler hole location if not the same, do I need a pump of some sort.
Heard 1.5ltr is correct amount but not sure after reading posts saying 2 or more. How can you tell when full with no dip stick etc?
Hope someone can shed some light?
Thanks
Dan
I did this at the weekend so thought id post up a little guide to help :)

Things needed were:

Honda OEM MTFIII oil - 2 litres (£14)

-Funnel (£ 3 from halfrauds)
-Piece of garden hose (dads garden hose is now mysteriously shorter)

I started by taking the passenger side wheel off. Turned out that I didn’t need to take the arch liner off as the fill and drain plug were accessible:

I removed the fill plug using a socket wrench:

Next, I put an old tub under the gearbox to catch the oil and then removed the drain plug:

Whilst the oil was draining I changed the washers on the bolts:

After the oil was drained I replaced the drain plug. The hose was then attached to the end of the funnel and threaded through from the top and into the gearbox:

It took just over 1.5 litres’ to fill up before it started to overflow. After replacing the plug I cleaned up all the oil that had dripped onto the gearbox casing and replaced the wheel. Whole thing took about an hour and a half. After a little driver, the gear changes do now feel smoother :D

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Smashing Post! Especially locations of fill and drain holes.

Deserves a sticky IMO =D>

Thanks

pete_griff

nice.

if it was me i would have used copper washers, but tbh it won't really make any difference.

cheers for the pics - useful and will save some time :)

pete_griff

keeno said:
pete_griff said:
nice.

if it was me i would have used copper washers, but tbh it won't really make any difference.

Might be a silly question but is there a benefit to using copper washers?

I just used the ones that Honda supplied.
copper just compresses very slightly to give a better seal. it's unlikely to make any difference though unless you're running seriously high performance applications - even then they're only fitted as a matter of precaution afaik...

to be honest as long as it doesn't leak you'll be fine! i am a little surprised to hear that honda don't supply copper washers - they obviously feel that the threads are strong enough to cope with lots of undoing/doing up tight.
(there's a possiblity that the honda washers do compress - but if they're not copper then i can't see what they would be made of to do that)

pete_griff

what's going on with the dates???!

i quoted a post below that was written after mine - apparently!!!

:xconfused:

keeno

pete_griff said:
nice.

Might be a silly question but is there a benefit to using copper washers?

I just used the ones that Honda supplied.

vampyriaerotica

Advanced Member
Are there no consensus to stick in whole 2 liter on this forum? My mate who does some odd track days does this to help cooling and he said 2 liter will fit in there.