GearBox Oil Change

teggy_dc5

Advanced Member
excellent guide +1 sticky

Done mine today was a breeze after reading this \:D/ less than a half hour used Honda mtf3 used just over 1.5 ltr :xcheers:

cpoh

Advanced Member
teggy_dc5 said:

Done mine today was a breeze after reading this \:D/ less than a half hour used Honda mtf3 used just over 1.5 ltr :xcheers:
1.5L is too little imo, I would be topping that up. Ive changed mine twice now and both time used over 1.9L and the same came out.

Maybe you didnt have your car jacked up when you were filling it?

jay82

Advanced Member
cpoh said:
teggy_dc5 said:

1.5L is too little imo, I would be topping that up. Ive changed mine twice now and both time used over 1.9L and the same came out.

Maybe you didnt have your car jacked up when you were filling it?
agree with this 1.5l is to little you near use all 2 litres

teggy_dc5

Advanced Member

It took just over 1.5 litres’ to fill up before it started to overflow. After replacing the plug I cleaned up all the oil that had dripped onto the gearbox casing and replaced the wheel. Whole thing took about an hour and a half. After a little driver, the gear changes do now feel smoother :D[/quote]

seems the same here? car was jacked up a fair bit 2 ah sure ill throw wats left in when im doin the brake pads wen we get good weather

FireDance

Advanced Member
Anyone know where I can get the drian plug & fill plug from?

Ideally magnetic ones!!!!

My local Honda don't stock them!!! Don't even recognise a DC5!!!!

Mark_teg

Staff member
FireDance said:
Anyone know where I can get the drian plug & fill plug from?

Ideally magnetic ones!!!!

My local Honda don't stock them!!! Don't even recognise a DC5!!!!
As above really, or look here:

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=INTEGRA&year=2001%2B+DC5+INTEGRA+TYPE+R&level1=ENGINE&level2=OIL+SYSTEM+COMPONENTS&level3=OIL+PANS+AND+SUMP+PLUGS&man=

For future reference regarding OEM parts, speak to Dave Johnson at a Honda dealer called 'Steels' 01432 267154.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Regarding the capacity of the gearbox, I too only managed to get in just over 1.5 litres. Car was jacked up on both sides of the front of the car and the refill plug just started throwing out whatever else I put in. In the end I just forced the nut back on when the excess fluid was coming out. Should I have only jacked the car up on the passenger side in order to get the full 2.3 litres in there??

Thanks,
Carl.

salsaboy

Advanced Member
Initial D said:
The way i filled mine up was to cut a garden hose long enough to get from the fill hole up into the bonnet just behind the airbox. Then useing a funnel poor the oil in. You can use clear hose so u can see when it starts to get full. Hope that helps :)
+1 easy this way.

Mike K_g

k20-outlaw

Advanced Member
Big head up to anyone doing this, make sure the filler drain nut is well tightened, as mine fell out yesterday on the motorway :O, lost about .5 of a liter, lucky it didn't catch fire as it splashed on to the manifold and made a hell of a lot of smoke.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Did mine yesterday, could only fit about 1.6 Litres of MTF-3 in there. Same-ish as my DC2.

The older gearbox oil was red and very clean so it was a shame to dump it, but I always service my cars for peace of mind.

MrRy

Advanced Member
In fact just read the workshop manual and it is 1.5L for a change, 1.7L for an overhaul.

Make sure you jack the car down to standard height when filling and let any overfill out. I would rather have 1.6 litres in than 1.4 litres but as close to specs as possible. More oil increases heat in the box beyond OEM specs (which is bad) and will also lose you power as the more oil = less power to the wheels.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
I filled mine the other day from the reverse switch.

Workshop manual says fill 1.5L when changing oil or 1.7L from a gearbox rebuild. I put in 1.7L after a fresh rebuild

MrRy

Advanced Member
yosin said:
I filled up from here. Is that correct?
No. Drain your gearbox oil back out into a CLEAN container, ideally somewhere with no wind and make sure you lower the car to a level seating position whilst draining. Leave for 20 minutes.

Then re-use the gearbox oil by using the correct fill-bolt. keep checking it to make sure nothing is coming out of the hole. As soon as it starts to drip out when the car is level, jack the car back up, secure it, put the bolt back in, clean up, replace the wheel and you're done.

yosin

Advanced Member
Ok thanks. So what did I put it through? Would it effect the car at all?

The gears do feel a lot smoother etc though.

MrRy

Advanced Member
No idea but it won't harm it filling that way. Over filling will though. Read my previous post on this thread as to why its bad for your gearbox.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
I am new to DC5 service maintenance. This thread is very good.
May I ask whether OEM LSD need maintenance as well? Have you done the gear oil change for OEM LSD when you change your transmission gear oil?