GruppeM fitted

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Well I done it. Bit the bullet and have decided to start modifying my lovely DC5. Started today by fitting the GruppeM charger I ordered last week.

It looks the dogs. :) The sound is amazing. :D And my VTEC now needs retitling VTOL! :p What a rush... in every sense of the word. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Not had the chance to before-and-after dyno it yet but fitting took a very deliberate and careful hour so it won't take ten minutes to change over when I do get the opportunity.

The only negative so far is that I need to remove the scoop every time the bonnet is lifted but my friend and I are dealing with that issue at the weekend. Pics will be posted when the light is good enough to illuminate the bits under my bonnet!

Oh well, goodbye standard JDM, goodbye bank-balance, hello to the never-ending search for perfection...

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Well here they are: :D :D :D

I'm a bit worried that the hooge scoop will give it away though. :? :wink: Got it dyno'ed today and showed a gain of 9hp and 6lb/ft at the hubs so, all in all, not too displeased :)

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
That's a good gain on a Honda m8, wont get any other kits producing that sort of gain :wink:

The kits that claim 15bhp + are talking a load of nonsense :shock:

Going to stick with my Mugen box for the time being, going to work on a new cold air feed!!

Mike

NZITR

Advanced Member
Looks good. What do you think the chances of water getting in are?

I've had my my car for 12 days now and the biggest dissapointment is the stock hot air induction system the car has.. Looking at the GruppeM or just the 5Zigen cold air feed and adding a Mugen box later on. I quite like the look of the 5Zigen as it seems to replace the mesh grill and channels all the air from the grill area to the intake. decisions decisions

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
The cf box has a drain-hole drilled into its base and I can see no more likelihood of water problems than in a cold-air feed - I think you pays-your-money-and-takes-your-choice! I will say this is not a cheap option but, like Mike points out, 9hp at the hubs is quite a power-hike. It's much more noticeable than I expected it would be :D :D :D If you want more details on the 5Zigen, try and get hold of herts62 - he is running one on his DC5.

Adz

Advanced Member
Would like to change my intake sometime soon.. was wondering wot kind of money you guys have bin parting with?.. GruppeM, 5Zigen, Typoon..?

Ta, Adz

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
adz, I ain't gonna lie to ya... the GruppeM don't come cheap! It cost me £550 plus Vat and P&P. I believe the Mugen is currently coming in at about £600. I was worried about laying out that sort of dollar but I must say it just proves the old adage 'You get what you pay for'. I have always gauged my cars on smiles-per-mile but am currently doing it in grins-per-inch... what more can I say?

Adz

Advanced Member
Thought as much!.. looks as though I'll have to start savin them pennies then! K&N is a cheap option.. so im guessin it's not a very good one.. :?
Where abouts you go for your GruppeM?

Adz

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT go for a straight cone set-up. The engine-bay of the VTEC is way too hot and you lose all air-pressure and hence power. CAI is one option but (and I took a lot of advice on this myself) the closed airbox of the standard item or an aftermarket option is by far the best. You may want to start by getting an aftermarket filter (Spoon, K&N, etc). These cost a lot for what they are (c. £70) but do (I again am advised) offer VFM in the power-gain department.

I went direct to GruppeM(Europe) so probably paid a bit more than if I'd shopped around in Japan but I did get a Next Day Delivery on it... and I'm just that impatient :twisted:

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hiya Trung - What did you think of the dyno results? I was quite impressed... but you're the expert in these things

Trung

Advanced Member
DC51VTC said:
Hiya Trung - What did you think of the dyno results?
You could've at least rotated the graphs in landscape layout :roll:
Very impressive gains however dyno runs will not show its full potential because when GruppeM/Mugen designed the airbox most of the R&D is taken from massive amount of hours of track testing to insure the car takes in a lot of cold air at certain speeds.

dan the man

Advanced Member
£550!! lot of dough that, to us northern boys it is! does look like a quality item tho, so does the bonnet catch when you lift it? and how are you getting round the problem? dan :?

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Dan, if you check out the last pic, the scoop sits hard against the back of the bonnet. We're gonna shave about three mil off it for about a third of its width... may lose a touch of ram but can't see it being that much and will allow the opening of bonnet - a must with v-tec oil-checks, etc.

dan the man

Advanced Member
i thought as much, shave a bit off like. but should be sweet for 5 and a half nicker eh?!!! gruppe m!! get that quality control sorted!! :)

DC5RK20A

Advanced Member
TOO EXCITED!!!

GruppeM North America emailed me 2 days ago and said they finally got the shipment from Japan and mine was going in the mail back towards Japan! Hearing you describe it just makes me so elated to get it on mine.

Reason I ordered it from GruppeM NA, it was $575 US. Here in Japan it retails for 92000yen and I can get it online for like 65000yen plus shipping. So the US one was cheaper. I still don't see why they are selling it in the US, as I believe the steering rack is in the way for the placement of the carbon box, but I don't mind. I asked them what the difference was and they said none that they knew of, I think I am the first one they sold to for the DC5 in North America. I am expecting this thing next Tuesday. Once on, I will give my impressions. And looking at your install pics, it looks like the Mugen front strut bar will have no problems clearing in front of the box.

Chris

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Good man, Chris... Get it on and show us :D

Dan, I'm assuming that this is not a quality control issue! In the fitting notes, GruppeM remind you that you need to remove the scoop when you open the bonnet and they've not shirked on anything else. It's probably designed the way it is for maximum intake (check Trung's message). I've decided to compromise just a touch on the ram to make it more practical is all :D

Adz

Advanced Member
Is the scoop not easy to remove then..? before/when opening the bonnet I mean..