GruppeM fitted

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
It's easy enough but time-consuming and a pain in the @rs*. Four clips that need unscrewing - I've shaved it now and it's so much easier. And I don't need to remember my screwdriver every time I check my oil :?

dan the man

Advanced Member
dint mean quality control as such, only messin with ya!!. it does look(and prob sound) ace! have to have a proper look when all is gathered in april. dan

FunkyR

:) reviving an old thread....

How did the shaving of the scoop go?? I'm thinking of doing the same.... dont know how CF reacts to a grinder.... maybe sand paper is safer.....

T666YPR

From what Paul (DC51 VTC)told me,shaving the inlet scoop stopped the problem of opening the bonnet and removing the scoop,but no readouts to prove it did no harm to it's function.

He said it was OK.

jonster

Advanced Member
A chainsaw!!! I've got it now. It needs a bit of a tidy-up but clears the bonnet when opening nicely.

Just kidding Paul.

Jon

Nomis

FunkyR said:
thanks..... do u know what he used to shave it with?
A standard fine grain metal file will do it easily. Mine has a tiny notch either side to clear the (CTR) bonnet when closed, but I take it off when opening. Not too much of a hassle and you can get better clips than the plastic ones they come with. Rain is no problem, just keep an eye that the (~10mm) drain hole in the bottom does not get covered by a small leaf which can get sucked in, though you would need a monsoon even then to cause any significant water ingress into the engine. Lovely hiss from the intake, though the weather is too cold now to drive around with the passenger window open to hear it in full glory!

SiKBoY

Advanced Member
How hard are these to fit, reason being I should have one in Jan :D

I take it that you dont actually need to shave a lot of the scoop then !

T666YPR

I would have thought that if trimming it makes no difference they would've made it smaller in the first place.

Gruppe M wouldn't make it like that just to inconvenience people.

SiKBoY

Advanced Member
T666YPR said:
I would have thought that if trimming it makes no difference they would've made it smaller in the first place.

Hmm maybe youve got a point ! But isnt it a universal part for the hondas?

Trung

Advanced Member
SiKBoY said:
T666YPR said:

Hmm maybe youve got a point ! But isnt it a universal part for the hondas?
Definately agree with Simon.
I think the GruppeM including its scoop was designed for maximum gains so modifying it will only decrease its performance but probably not enough for you to feel the difference.
The box and the scoop is NOT a universal part for hondas!!

SiKBoY

Advanced Member
Oh right sorry mate I wasnt sure !!

When I said universal for Hondas I really meant CTR & DC5 !

dobber

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
That's a good gain on a Honda m8, wont get any other kits producing that sort of gain :wink:

The kits that claim 15bhp + are talking a load of nonsense :shock:

Going to stick with my Mugen box for the time being, going to work on a new cold air feed!!

Mike
I'll be fitting my mugen from my CTR to the Teg when i get it in a couple of weeks so keep me up to date with the air intake mods your doing.

Cheers :D

DC5RK20A

Advanced Member
I wouldn't shave the scoop at all. I talked directly with the guy that designed the box for the DC5 and he told me that the scoop provided is what is best for the intake. I asked him about fabricating a different size scoop and he told me that they researched hours upon hours with different scoop sizes and whatnot and the one provided was the one that provided the best gains. Will shaving it hurt, I don't really know, but removing 4 clips in about a minute tops is worth it to me to not find out if by chance there is a small decrease (all 1ps is worth it to me) hahaha

EDIT: I remembered something, he said top end performance may not suffer with a different scoop, but low-end torque would.

Chris

DP.

Advanced Member
does anyone have any pics with the full 'untrimmed' scoop?

i want to see how much it sticks up

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Just to remind everyone - and Hello to all you Newbies - I shaved the scoop for the very selfish reason of convenience. I agree with all the comments about it obviously having been designed to gain maximum benefit but it was a real PIA having to remove the scoop every time I checked the oil etc. What I 'lost' in power I 'gained' in convenience.

Jon, if you don't mind, at least it was a Dremel chainsaw :wink:

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Everyone makes a big deal over this... I dont know about the rest of you GruppeM owners, but what I shaved off was so minimal you wouldnt believe (see sig pics). I too done it for convenience.

Nomis

scaryprowler said:
Everyone makes a big deal over this... I dont know about the rest of you GruppeM owners, but what I shaved off was so minimal you wouldnt believe (see sig pics). I too done it for convenience.
I would be willing to bet good money that a combination of 1) getting rid of the CDs you don't listen to from the glovebox, 2) not carrying around the manual 3) not taking the road atlas 4) a satisfying few minutes sitting / s*itting in the smallest room before setting off or 5) any one of the above, would negate any reduction in performance from a trivial mod to the scoop.