Help please, new to all this but after a new stereo.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Hi all,

My last 10 years or so of motoring up until my DC5 has been company cars. Bland, dull and uninspiring.
Now I am a happy DC5 owner :)
Problem is the JDM stereo is horrible. Yes it will play 5 CD`s and receive radio 1&2... sometimes.. But i cant stand either. yeah call me old but I want radio4 and USB/bluetooth for actual music rather than various flavors of Simon Cowels diarrhea excrement.

So I am after something DD touch screen maybe with bluetooth to support an Android phone for both music and hands free, hands free pretty important with job. I am not interested in watching DVD`s in the car and to be honest Satnav is fine on my phone.

Not looking for a massive output and not bothered about a brand name as long as its better than the JDM stereo currently installed.

Also is the current stereo actually worth anything to JDM fans or is it just for the bin?

Thanks.

PS dont mind pre-loved either.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
If you can afford it go for something like the above but DAB too otherwise you won't be able to pick up a great selection of stations and it also won't be as clear either.

I have the appradio albeit an older version and I don't like it personally, wish I'd gone for something like the Alpine above or an all out DAB radio.

Mebz

Advanced Member
You get a Pioneer 3500 DAB double din with dab arial for under £300.00

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Thanks for the ideas folks. Seems like I am going to have to put my hand deep in my pocket for something half decent. Might have to save up a few quid as most of my cash set aside is currently ear-marked for things that fell off the car last week, oh and wheel refurb.

One last related question, what did Honda to with my car aerial! ????

Only just noticed I don't have one :xaiweb2:

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of this or the other similar models on ebay?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171564109958?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would love to go for something with more of a known brand but cash is being set aside for wheel refurb and other TEG priorities at the minute. But still the current JDM stereo is a nightmare.
I am only after a devent radio,SD/MIC input and bluetooth for handsfree. Not bothered about SatNav as I can use my phone (android)
Any advice appreciated.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Thanks chaps. Any reasons for this or first/second hand experience?
I understand it is cheap and not a Sony or Pioneer but why would it be rubbish?
Certainly not saying its going to be any good but why would it be so bad? Would it be the output, start up time, incompatibility issues?

I am in technology for a living and have been for a long while and have been proven wrong by cheaper kit time and time again.
Some kit yes you have to pay for quality but sometimes you are paying for a name, sometimes for the same thing with a different badge.

The thing that brings me to this with ICE (bearing in mind I am completely new to this) is that some of the head units is see go for over £300 to £400 where as my last 30-40inch smart TV cost about the same as this. Yeah it would be hard to squeeze into the dash but you get my point :)

Probably barking up the wrong tree but would like to hear thoughts.

si3353

I paid just over £300 for the new app radio recently and whilst I take your point regarding the price, at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Albeit you have to pay a premium for pioneer/alpine etc, they command that premium due to their reputation which is built based on the quality of their products.

If your car is your daily, your stereo is probably going to be on more or less all of the time. If your looking to play just music I would go for a simple single din usb which are quite cheap. You can also get decent double din's for around 150 which do the basics and look good too.

Most of the high end stereos offer a lot more than just music playback, it's a sat nav, you can answer calls without touching your phone, you can even dictate a message, but again, it depends on what you'll be using your car for and what your requirements are.

We pay astronomic prices for technology these days, if you told someone ten years ago that most people will own smartphones worth over £500, they would probably laugh at you! 300 odd quid for a stereo that doubles up as a sat/hands free phone isn't too bad if you think about it...

Oh and don't compare it to tv's, they've become ridiculously cheap, not that I'm complaining!!

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
si3353 said:
I paid just over £300 for the new app radio recently and whilst I take your point regarding the price, at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Albeit you have to pay a premium for pioneer/alpine etc, they command that premium due to their reputation which is built based on the quality of their products.

If your car is your daily, your stereo is probably going to be on more or less all of the time. If your looking to play just music I would go for a simple single din usb which are quite cheap. You can also get decent double din's for around 150 which do the basics and look good too.

Most of the high end stereos offer a lot more than just music playback, it's a sat nav, you can answer calls without touching your phone, you can even dictate a message, but again, it depends on what you'll be using your car for and what your requirements are.

We pay astronomic prices for technology these days, if you told someone ten years ago that most people will own smartphones worth over £500, they would probably laugh at you! 300 odd quid for a stereo that doubles up as a sat/hands free phone isn't too bad if you think about it...

Oh and don't compare it to tv's, they've become ridiculously cheap, not that I'm complaining!!
Thanks for that. Yeah the TV was a cheap shot sorry ;)

Satnav for me must come from a net enabled device, if not its inherently floored. Not just updates but real-time traffic info from the likes of google maps/android which has saved me hours of my life. So in that respect I will always lean towards my phone.

Music I want from Phono, BT and maybe some kind of storage. Radio is a given. Not too bothered about DAB as of yet.

The phone side of things I really want something that is hands free, BT, good sound/mic quality, quick and easy to use. Also how does this work in a teg as its not the most quiet of cars. Also bear in mind I am android and very unlikely to change to a fruit based technology... :)

In regards to DVD playing in a car. Not so much...

The thing that put me off most of the upper end stuff and I don't mind saving and waiting its the leaning towards apple all the time and very vague on android. Don't want to be spending good cash one something that's going to come up with excuses not to work with android.

Again thanks for the input all.