Help please, new to all this but after a new stereo.

si3353

MissMyDC2 said:
Thanks for that. Yeah the TV was a cheap shot sorry ;)

Satnav for me must come from a net enabled device, if not its inherently floored. Not just updates but real-time traffic info from the likes of google maps/android which has saved me hours of my life. So in that respect I will always lean towards my phone.

Music I want from Phono, BT and maybe some kind of storage. Radio is a given. Not too bothered about DAB as of yet.

The phone side of things I really want something that is hands free, BT, good sound/mic quality, quick and easy to use. Also how does this work in a teg as its not the most quiet of cars. Also bear in mind I am android and very unlikely to change to a fruit based technology... :)

In regards to DVD playing in a car. Not so much...

The thing that put me off most of the upper end stuff and I don't mind saving and waiting its the leaning towards apple all the time and very vague on android. Don't want to be spending good cash one something that's going to come up with excuses not to work with android.

Again thanks for the input all.
Take your point on a lot of stereo's being more geared to iPhones. The new app radio is like this but you can use the Google maps/4g from your phone through the screen and have live traffic updates.

I'd go for a single din pioneer BT unit. I had one in my dc2, bought it for around £60 brand new and the mic/bt worked really well. There's loads of new pioneer single dins to be had for around £60 or so.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Thanks again for the advice.
If I did go single is there a converter out there to give me back some storage space? The current stereo i the JDM double with CD.... and Mini-disc !! lol

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Changing my mind again now. :)
It seems the price if the app radio 2 is coming down due to their new release. Especially second hand.
So who has one and how do they get on with android?
Cheers folks.

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Changing my mind again now. :)
It seems the price if the app radio 2 is coming down due to their new release. Especially second hand.
So who has one and how do they get on with android?
Cheers folks.
I have an AppRadio2 in my DC5. I use an iPod for music and Android phone for apps, navigation etc. It will use sound from both devices at once.

The standard AppRadio apps are limited, couple of gps apps, music, obd2 meters etc .

My phone is rooted and runs an app called ARLiberator, which gives complete control over the phone. Which means I can use Torque and even Facebook if desired.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
El_Boomo said:
I have an AppRadio2 in my DC5. I use an iPod for music and Android phone for apps, navigation etc. It will use sound from both devices at once.

The standard AppRadio apps are limited, couple of gps apps, music, obd2 meters etc .

My phone is rooted and runs an app called ARLiberator, which gives complete control over the phone. Which means I can use Torque and even Facebook if desired.
Just what I am after thanks.
So.. Currently using an S5 which if i have to root so be it. Gathering the app will work with an S5?
How is the phone connected? Expensive horrible cables or BTooth?
How well does this mirror thing work for calls and general apps from your phone?
Can you use google maps/nav on the DD screen?

Lots of questions I know sorry but done a bucket load of reading with sop much conflicting info. Pretty ridiculous given the all seem to be so happy with apple stuff.

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Just what I am after thanks.
So.. Currently using an S5 which if i have to root so be it. Gathering the app will work with an S5?
How is the phone connected? Expensive horrible cables or BTooth?
How well does this mirror thing work for calls and general apps from your phone?
Can you use google maps/nav on the DD screen?

Lots of questions I know sorry but done a bucket load of reading with sop much conflicting info. Pretty ridiculous given the all seem to be so happy with apple stuff.
No worries.

I now have an S5 which I haven't tried but my wife's S4 works perfect so S5 shouldn't be an issue.

Connection is via a hdmi cable and MHL adapter (Pioneer kit is about £40 I think). I use a proper Samsung one which, whilst slightly more expensive, is well shielded so doesn't have any issues like cheaper ebay jobbys.

Calls are crisp and clear as the bluetooth and mic are Parrot. And nav is used and displayed through the headunit touchscreen.

Newer units are much easier and slicker (I have the X3600DAB in my Accord) as they use mirrorlink (which does cost £70 on top of the headunit price) but the AR2 is great for the job.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
El_Boomo said:
No worries.

I now have an S5 which I haven't tried but my wife's S4 works perfect so S5 shouldn't be an issue.

Connection is via a hdmi cable and MHL adapter (Pioneer kit is about £40 I think). I use a proper Samsung one which, whilst slightly more expensive, is well shielded so doesn't have any issues like cheaper ebay jobbys.

Calls are crisp and clear as the bluetooth and mic are Parrot. And nav is used and displayed through the headunit touchscreen.

Newer units are much easier and slicker (I have the X3600DAB in my Accord) as they use mirrorlink (which does cost £70 on top of the headunit price) but the AR2 is great for the job.
Thanks,

Is it possible to just stream audio and calls through BTooth if i dont want to immediately go down the cable route?

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Thanks,

Is it possible to just stream audio and calls through BTooth if i dont want to immediately go down the cable route?
Calls yes, audio no unfortunately.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
El_Boomo said:
Calls yes, audio no unfortunately.
Audio via standard audio lead ?
I also have an old ipod classic that a friend gave me that was immediately hacked and rockbox added. Would this be of any use?

Promise ill leave you alone soon. :)

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Audio via standard audio lead ?
I also have an old ipod classic that a friend gave me that was immediately hacked and rockbox added. Would this be of any use?

Promise ill leave you alone soon. :)
Not sure about standard audio lead. Mine came with an iPod / iPhone lead which has a usb part and may be of use.

As for the old iPod classic, that's what I use for music.

No worries about all the questions. I know the struggle of finding an ICE system to work with android all too well.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
I'm using the 3500dab from pioneer and also have Android phones.. HTC one m7,note 3 and s3 and all work very well for both music and phone. I use BT connection only with these devices and am really pleased with the results. I also have the latest ipod which I connect via a usb cable and in all honesty I can't tell the difference in sound quality between the BT and cable connections

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Now this looks absolutely ideal! Chromecast and appunchained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii2GebpoWjE

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Thanks for the input all.
So I managed to get an appradio2 on eBay practically new for a 100 all in. Fitted the other night and its great although not just a plug and play affair so far.
Stereo was nice and easy to fit with an iso adapter so all good there but I had to modify the surround just to tidy things up a bit until I buy a proper one.
To get it to work with android wirelessly its going to be fun!
So far I have had to root my s5, trip the knox and hack selinux bit I am nearly there. Just need to install the Chromecast dongle when it arrives and automate everything. With the final plan being something similar to the video above.
For the minute I am happy with the 160gb iPod in the glove box with all my music on and Bluetooth for the hands free calling.
Going to be a fiddle but will document it all here if I manage tkbget it all working as there seems to be little info out there on a proper wireless setup for android.
Main thing for the minute is I have a fully functioning radio and don't have to listen to radio 1&2 anymore! Winner.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Now that's awesome!

Good luck man, hope it all goes well...I'll be interested to hear about it.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Will sort it one way or another!
Seems the perfect setup in my eyes. Realtime satnav from google maps and anything your phone can do onscreen. Its just a faf because pioneer are useless but luckily they allowed folk to write apps to be able to talk to it.
From my reading so far and its been a LOT of reading you are either tied to a cable or you basically split the video/audio through HDMI which is either via cable or via a dongle such as Chromecast, my preferred option.
The touch side of things is sent from the pioneer to the phone via Bluetooth using an app like app radio unchained or similar.

That's the idea anyway which makes sense.

Then to polish it all off you automate on ur phone
Enable hot spot so the Chromecast can connect via WiFi to your phone
Connect to appdariod via Bluetooth.
Run the Chromecast app for mirroring
Dim screen on phone to save battery.

Phone definitely has to be rooted for all of this which is dead easy and takes minutes and you will keep all your data, apps, settings etc.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Seems reasonably straight forward in an initially awkward, faff kind of way, haha.

The only part I wasn't sure about is rooting my phone but when I come to change my stereo set up, I may have to jump on this bandwagon!

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Full write up when i can feel my fingers again, tis bloody freezing out there but it works, eventually!
Took a lot of reading but worth the effort.
So,

Samsung galaxy s5 £lots
Appradio2 £100 ebay
chromecast dongle £30 argos
Appradio unchained reloaded app £19
No other cables needed bsides what comes with phone and pioneer

Full touch screen and phone mirroring. Apps, music, navigation etc.

Happy.

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Full write up when i can feel my fingers again, tis bloody freezing out there but it works, eventually!
Took a lot of reading but worth the effort.
So,

Samsung galaxy s5 £lots
Appradio2 £100 ebay
chromecast dongle £30 argos
Appradio unchained reloaded app £19
No other cables needed bsides what comes with phone and pioneer

Full touch screen and phone mirroring. Apps, music, navigation etc.

Happy.
Sounds much cleaner than my install. May take a look at redoing mine and getting rid of the MHL adapter.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
First day on the new setup and it is working really well. There are a few bugs but its mostly me not being used to it and also the fact I haven't automated anything yet so I need to cast the screen every time. Will sort that out with tasker this weekend.

So the setup is a SPH-DA100 appradio2 which I bought from ebay for £100 notes. Very pleased as it was immaculate and also had brand new cables as the guy had upgraded to a new pioneer.
I had been using just the above with a 160GB ipod and it worked very well. Also using bluetooth for hands free phone use which also worked perfectly in minutes.

Even though the above worked fine I wanted more, and an excuse to play :)

So next task was to cast the mobile (Galaxy s5) screen to the headunit. This was reasonably easy and cheap.
I bought a Chromecast dongle from argos for £30 and fitted it. Luckily it came with a little HDMI extension lead or it would not have fit on the rear of the head unit properly. The other thing it requires is a micro USB feed for power. This is any old micro sub lead but the chromecast also comes with one so perfect. The standard end of this USB lead just connects to the standard pioneer apple cable USB port. This powers the device without the need to wire in a separate USB supply.

The chromecast will also need a wireless network to talk to your phone so you use your phone as a hotspot and job done. Just make sure to configure the initial chrome setup with the same wifi details of your phones hotspot, SSID and password.
So thats the audio and visual sorted.

Then we need the touch sync from the head unit back to the phone. This is done via bluetooth and appradio-unchained-reloaded.
What I found out eventually is there are a few different versions of the appradio unchained app. Some free and some not.
All appradio unchained apps need your android to be rooted. This isnt hard and takes a couple of minutes at most with a usb cable and free software. If you are just after root access then cf autoroute is an easy app to use and will keep your stock ROM. This means nothing changes on the phone, no data is lost and you then have root access.

The pain in the butt bit came with trying to set SE-linux to permissive once rooted. This is a particular problem with the S5 and as far as I could see there was no way of enabling this without a custom Kernel (much more phone hacking needed and probably a custom ROM) Earlier phones are much easier I believe and can be done with a free app once rooted.
unfortunately the free versions of appradio-unchained need this SELinux set to permissive.
However App-radio-unchaned-reloaded doesn't need this! It just works without it. Downside is its £19 but they its only £19.

So the process then is you have appradio server running in the backround on your phone. Once it connects to the car via bluetooth it automatically connects and turns your brightness down and turns to landscape. Then you enable your hotspot, the chrome automatically connects and you just hit cast screen. Thats it and you are done. Its also best to use nova launcher on your phone as its better in landscape than stock. Better all round to be honest and its free.
All of the above will be automated with tasker which is pretty easy to use. So eventually when I get in the car and the appradio sees the head unit it will activate my hotspot, connect to appradio, wait a few seconds then kick in and cast my screen to the phone and all done.

One other thing to note is power drain on your phone, you will definitely need to have it on charge. Even when on charge it only just keeps ahead of the battery drain keeping your charge about static. But considering today I was streaming iplayer radio, whilst using google navigation with satellite and I even took a hands free call at one point, it aint bad.

Next step is wireless charging unit under the cup holder so I can just drop my phone in and go. Completely cable free.

Any questions glad to help as I found it a pain in the butt to find info.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Just an update after a week or two of use.
Its brilliant. I can make and answer calls, satnav works great with google maps and live traffic, can also stream radio live and iPlayer shows I have missed. Also if having lunch in a services or lay by I can stream movies or TV.
I have managed to automate all but one step if the connection process with tasker so its only one tap on the phone and all is mirrored. Will sort that last process when I have a minute.
I have the occasional drop out but its soon reconnected and running again.
Would definitely recommend this setup. Especially given the whole lot is sorted for £150 all in.