Horrible Ticky Sound

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Recently my car has started having a horrible ticky sound.

I am unsure exactly where the noise is coming from, I have had a look under my bonnet a couple of times but cannot pin point it.

Its not all the time as its disappeared a couple of times.

But when its around its not nice, ruins the lovely sound of the engine and is a concern.

My best way of describing it is probably be, it sounds like a belt (maybe alternator belt) is lose or a tensioner is bent?

G Man

Advanced Member
Do you get this at stand still as well as on the move or only on the move?

Does the noise get louder/faster when you increase speed?

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I get at idle and on the move
It gets louder/faster when speed/revs are increased.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I had to remove my auxiliary belt the other day to diagnose something else but it's worth a try. Do it when the car is cold. Remove the belt, start it and give it a little rev and see if the sound is still there. If it's gone you've isolated it and if it's still there then its back to the drawing board.

Obviously don't run the car for long without the belt as it drives the water pump but it's fine for a minute whilst checking this. Sometimes components on this belt are difficult to isolate as sound travels.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Thanks for your advice

Is there anything I need to know when removing this belt? Or do I just slacken the tension and take it off?

G Man

Advanced Member
Shortstuff said:
Thanks for your advice

Is there anything I need to know when removing this belt? Or do I just slacken the tension and take it off?
The belt that drives the power steering I'm guessing?

It's an auto tensioner, push down and away from the front of the car on the pulley to get some slack. It's possible to do it on your own but best if you have an another pair of hands.

I used a big spanner for the job last time.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Marks guide is helpful. Done it on my own more times than I can count now. The hardest part is making sure you put it back the right way but it will only go back on if you've got it right so its not hard. Use Mark's drawing for ref:

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/30359-how-tochange-the-aux-belt/

As the guide says, move the steering fluid reservoir out the way a bit for more access to the tensioner pulley. If you have sockets you can hook one over the end of the spanner for extra leverage and its easy then ;)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mine's started doing a similar noise but more of a belt/squealing type noise from the driver's side of the engine.

Could do with getting it looked at it tbh.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Thanks for all your help and advice. I shall take a look at it this weekend

Im booked into Honda Saturday morning for a quick inspection just so they can get it on the ramps and take a look
easier than me!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Bit of a daft question but are you keeping an eye on your oil and fluid levels regularly?

172Ben

Advanced Member
sounds weird, but run the engine, and get a screw driver, and pop it on to bits of the engine one at a time. With your ear on the end you can use it to hear where its coming from. Works for me :)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Wonder if it's the same thing Adam (Gok) has had. He's tried everything to resolve it all bar a rebuilt head which is what he's doing next.

He's driven it like that for years I think as it never seemed to get worse or effect performance.

Could be several different things which Adam will be able to fill you in on as he's had a lot of stuff replaced at great expense. Tappets, lost motion assemblies etc. If your oil is good and you get the basics checked like cam chain then the best advice may be to just live with it!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
If you can get a video up that would be better or you can PM me your number and send it that way. I have a video of mine which I can send you to cross reference. Whatever is wrong is very difficult to diagnose without the car in front of you. LMA's or Lost Motion Assemblies can fail but only on cars that have run low on oil so I've been told. Could be the VTC but that's very unlikely.

How many miles is the car on? Does it pull well in and out of VTEC? Does VTEC engage properly?

Adam

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Oh wow... this sounds fantastic haha.

My gearbox needs a full rebuild too as one of the bearings has gone.

I will get a video in the morning... vtec engages as normal. No lose of performance. I just hope its something simple

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Here it is

I hope that it is good enough for you guys to hear.

The last 2 seconds really seem to be the best.