How much is your Tax???

alfie196

Hi All,

I am about to become the proud owner of a champ white, 2002 DC5. Though i almost had a heart attack when i found out what tax band mine is in, 234g/Km = Band G = over £400 = more then i want to give!!

I am no expert on this, but reading New CAR TAX rates in 2008 Budget!! i understand that there doesn't appear too much correlation on the year of your car or the year it was registered in the UK, it seems to depend on what proof of emissions was provided when it was first registered/imported.

There is a ray of hope though, user qamvti has managed to reduce his DC5 to to the lower band, saving £200 a year on tax. I have PM'd qamvti to try and find out how this was done, though i have had no response.

I know that if you believe there is a mistake on your V5 document, E.G emissions, then you can apply to have this changed by the DVLA. All you have to do is fill in the the appropriate section (7 i think) of your logbook and send it off with proof of the error.

Can you please leave details of the year of your DC5, when it was imported and what emissions you have on your V5?

I intend to change the band of my DC5 (if possible) and i want use this thread to help others do the same and get information on the best way to do it.

So if you have any information on how to get hold of the model reports (the documents for proving emissions) or any other way of proving emissions please share it here.

Thanks, Liam

dave c

400hp K20
100% in support of this thread, i'm just about to shell out £220 for 6 months and i can't bare to pay £400 in one hit.

Any advice on how to reduce it owuld be much appriciated

thomsojf

Advanced Member
I think for sum reason the pre-facelift has lower emmisions so it's cheaper on the road tax. Mines the £210 or round about that for the year!

dotty

Advanced Member
Thankfully my JDM EP3 was imported and registered as 'PLG' so only £185 for the year 8)

low baller

Advanced Member
2003 DC5, £220 for the 6months

yet my mates 04 DC5 was £180 for the year, crazy.

alfie196

thomsojf said:
I think for sum reason the pre-facelift has lower emmisions so it's cheaper on the road tax. Mines the £210 or round about that for the year!
According to TypeGRRR in the other thread, its the later model report that has the lower emission, but either way, i know that others with a 2002 DC5 imported in 2007 (same as the one i'm getting) are in the the lower tax band and even registered as PLG.

So i really think anyone paying £400 has a case to get it changed.

carfiend

Advanced Member
Y plate 2001 with an August 01 Reg Date paying £190/y

Basically if your car is registered as PLG then you pay less if it isn't then you will be in the higher tax bands.

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
alfie196 said:
According to TypeGRRR in the other thread, its the later model report that has the lower emission, but either way, i know that others with a 2002 DC5 imported in 2007 (same as the one i'm getting) are in the the lower tax band and even registered as PLG.
Even though there is a earlier and later model report, as far as I'm aware both are still in circulation, so cars being registered today, could still be using the early report and put into the higher tax band.

alfie196

Cheers, TypeGRRR (Not sure of your real name :-k )

Ok people i may have made a minor breakthrough for all of those paying too much tax.

Print this document

The link above is to a model report, that states the CO2 emissions should be 223.7g/km, whether this will be acceptable as proof is yet to be confirmed. So if any one wants to give this a try please do and report back to this thread, as i will not be able to try it until i get the logbook back.

Liam

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
Liam is right that your road tax is determined by which model report was used when your teg was imported or if you were lucky enough to have your car "mistakenly" put in the PLG bracket when it was registered.

just as a bit of clarity, PLG is reserved for car with a manufacture date Before the start of 2001 so the Dc5 shouldnt apply, however as i mentioned if your car is in the PLG bracket, be thankful that your paying £190 for the year and that this was down to a DVLA clerk who didnt know what they were doing. This has happened to prob around 25% of all Dc5's on the road regardless of Age or when the car was imported.

Ok, if thats not you then your car has been classified (correctly) on its emissions.

Now, because a SVA (Now IVA) centre doesnt have the ability to test emissions of individual cars when doing the test (like every Dc5 has to go thru) then they compare it against the Model reports TEST car used to create the model report your comparing your car against.

the problem is...... theres 2 model reports for sale by 2 different companies.

1. sold by model report DIRECT was able to get the emissions down to 223.7 CO'2 putting it in the 2nd highest bracket by a few points - you can see this here http://www.modelreportsdirect.co.uk/sit ... -00021.pdf

the other is sold by Model reports. COM and this report was created before the other one prob using a newer car and hence the emissions were higher at 234 CO2 which exceeds the 2nd highest band for tax and puts it in the top band which jumps to a massive £400 per year. see it here http://www.modelreports.com/reports/002-00009.pdf

The issue with your DVLA centre changing your emissions bracket is that they will have on there records WHICH of the 2 model reports were used for your car to be registered. And they can prove that your car was compared against the 234 model report. Hence in my opinion i dont think you have a case.

However if you have some success liam then defientely share it with the forum and im sure there will be a lot of owners wanting to do the same.

Ironically for the foreseeable future VOSA have changed the rules of SVA (now IVA) which means a Dc5 doesn't have to be compared against ANY model report anymore, simply a standard SVA will do. In this case i believe they will be registering all tegs in the PLG bracket. ](*,)

alfie196

Thanks for the detailed info Andy. :xcheers: I am hoping to deal with one of the clerks that dont know what they are doing!! :lol:

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
£225 for 6 months here :xcry: :xcry: (its still worth it :xlol: )

I'll keep an eye on this thread and if you have any success i'll happily pop my log book into the DVLA. =D>

Keep the info rolling in guys. :idea:

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
Intereating read guys, seems to be pot luck what your cars registered as. Mine is a 2004 and registered as plg, not luck though as i refused to buy a DC5 that was registered any other way. Good luck with trying to change it Liam!

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
Well done you!

What about the rest of us mate?

:lol: :lol: Good insight though mate. 8)

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
chalkie said:
Well done you!

What about the rest of us mate?

:lol: :lol: Good insight though mate. 8)
Haha sorry dude didn't mean to make you envious :green: