iPhone 5 with double din

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Don't know of anyone stocking it, but isn't there 2 versions? sph-da110 is the bog standard replacement and the sph-da210 comes with the cd/dvd player? Seems nobody in the UK stocks the latter but you could buy off ebay from the states?

scottj15

Advanced Member
Yeah I have thought about shipping one over but was a bit worried about the whole UK/USA, PAL/NTSC DVD formats? I was under the impression UK DVDs won't play on a USA Device? :?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Haha no idea mate but surely there are some specs that will explain, does pal/ntsc even still exist now with hd and all that? But also i thought screens were all compatible both ways nowadays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alan-lee

Advanced Member
I just exchanged my sph da100 for the sph da110 in Halfords as it was under a year old, had to pay £70 for it so was happy enough and its already x10 better than the sph da100 for iphone 5 compatibility as it has Bluetooth media play which is handy and comes with lightening connector for iphone 5.

Halfords also have a coming soon underneath this radio which could possibly be the sph - da210

im happy with the sph da-110 though.

Anyone any ideas on best apps for this and how to change the background etc?

thanks

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I currently have the da100 but I am quite tempted to get the sph-da110, not bothered about cd/dvd as I haven't used either for years, I also now have a 64GB iphone 5s so plenty of mobile storage to use. But I have a lot of other priorities like suspension work at the moment so its on the back burner, the reality is once those items are sorted I know I wont be able to help myself and will end up buying an sph-da110 lol

App wise I have dashcommand used alongside an elm327 wifi dongle, the usual car media player, car browser, mixtrax, ec touch (for youtube mainly) aupeo, waze and poi warner. To change the background is easy just open the appradio app when not connected to the radio and go to settings>wallpaper and choose something from your camera roll (find an image via safari first and save to camera roll) is this not the same on the da110?

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
I just got the app radio 3 shipped from the states. I love it. Haven't tried playing a DVD yet. I usually just use an mp3 DVD for music and they're working perfect. The problems I have with it so far are that the fm only tunes in .2 increments on uneven numbers, 104.5, 104.7 etc. One of my favourite channels is 92.2 and can't get it! Also in the states there's a federal law that head unit can't play video etc when driving, usually you just ground the parking cable but it doesn't work on the appradio 3. You have to buy a little microbypass extra from eBay to get around it! Or else you would have to wire in a little switch somewhere and flip it on off everytime you want to use certain functions while driving.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Let us know what happens with playing DVDs it will be good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alan-lee

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
I currently have the da100 but I am quite tempted to get the sph-da110, not bothered about cd/dvd as I haven't used either for years, I also now have a 64GB iphone 5s so plenty of mobile storage to use. But I have a lot of other priorities like suspension work at the moment so its on the back burner, the reality is once those items are sorted I know I wont be able to help myself and will end up buying an sph-da110 lol

App wise I have dashcommand used alongside an elm327 wifi dongle, the usual car media player, car browser, mixtrax, ec touch (for youtube mainly) aupeo, waze and poi warner. To change the background is easy just open the appradio app when not connected to the radio and go to settings>wallpaper and choose something from your camera roll (find an image via safari first and save to camera roll) is this not the same on the da110?
Dashcommand is like £6.99 whats the benefits? worth that?

changing the background permanently? I know how to using the app, and I know you can change it on the sph-da100 but you had to put the image into the formware update but unable to do it on the new one.

reason being I don't use the app through the radio and just use the Bluetooth.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Depends mate, Dashcommand is for reading eml codes (you will need an obd wifi dongle) but also it has lots of "dashboards" with all sorts of gauges which you can customize if you're inclined, afr, intake temp, coolant temp, revs, speed, bhp output, torque output etc, it has a fuel economy dashboard, g-meter, you can measure quarter mile times, and do data logging etc, the list goes on. Mostly its got some really cool looking gauges lol but all those features in one app for 6.99 is a brgain if you askme, it used to be 39 quid or something, they only recently reduced the price to the point I would consider paying for it.

Im sure its only the really early firmware that you had to load the background image on via the usb, ive always used the in app feature to change it since then.

Mark_teg

Staff member
maxvr6 said:
Depends mate, Dashcommand is for reading eml codes (you will need an obd wifi dongle) but also it has lots of "dashboards" with all sorts of gauges which you can customize if you're inclined, afr, intake temp, coolant temp, revs, speed, bhp output, torque output etc, it has a fuel economy dashboard, g-meter, you can measure quarter mile times, and do data logging etc, the list goes on. Mostly its got some really cool looking gauges lol but all those features in one app for 6.99 is a brgain if you askme, it used to be 39 quid or something, they only recently reduced the price to the point I would consider paying for it.

Im sure its only the really early firmware that you had to load the background image on via the usb, ive always used the in app feature to change it since then.
Does your iPhone have to be jail broken (or whatever it's called) to use this app Max?

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Ah ok cool! So this dongle thingy? I NEED to get that? And why? Lol

Edit : scratch the above just googled it.. Does this plug into the ecu? Also where did you buy yours from? :)

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Does your iPhone have to be jail broken (or whatever it's called) to use this app Max?
Nope you get it from the app store completely legit, only if you want it for free do you have to jailbreak.

alan-lee said:
Ah ok cool! So this dongle thingy? I NEED to get that? And why? Lol Edit : scratch the above just googled it.. Does this plug into the ecu? Also where did you buy yours from? :)
Ok, so the ELM327 OBD wifi dongle circa £10-15 plugs into the OBD port by your left knee and you can pick them up off ebay but i would steer clear from the ones from China etc and pick one up from a UK stockist. You connect your phone to it via settings just as you would connect to your home router. The OBD dongle reads all the information being passed through your ECU and sends it to the phone, this is then interpreted by the dashcommand app and displayed in the form of a gauge or whatever feature you are using, and even better if you are using appradio its all displayed on the stereo. To get accurate readings you need to setup your "vehicle" in the app, the more information you can give it the better eg tire size, volumetric efficiency etc...

Mark_teg

Staff member
One last question, where did you get the connecting leads (radio to iphone5) ?.

Do you have a link? I have the 8400bt with App mode..

Thanks

maxvr6

Advanced Member
You need three things, the lightning digital av adapter circa £40 and there's no point googling a good price because there isn't one, they're all circa £40 so just pick one up from currys etc and while you're there pick up a cheap 1m type A-A hdmi lead circa £4, and you'll need a lightning usb lead ie the one supplied with the phone.

The lightning usb goes into the existing usb port on the supplied radio lead, the hdmi goes into the back of the stereo, then the other end of the hdmi and the lightning cable go into the av adapter which goes into the phone, don't forget to download the updated firmware from HERE and update the radio first.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Thanks mate, extremely helpful!
I found my model in the list, so not to worry :)

I'll check my current software first as I'm not sure if it has it already.. Seems a very long winded process doesn't it..

maxvr6

Advanced Member
No problem, it is longwinded mate but I guess the older models were never designed to work with a lightning connected device so Pioneer have done what they can and its not too bad, the appradio 3 however comes with the cables and is designed for this.

Once you have everything on hand though its a 15 minute job and you're away :)

p1tse

Advanced Member
Very good info here

I have an iphone 5 and works fine on Bluetooth for phone voice calls

The current setup with avh 8400bt has the old 30 pin which I might dig up an old iphone to see if it works, as I would like to have a play with dashcommand, unless there are better options now?

Although the iphone 5 option as above would be good as it's what I'm using but then again bottom of my list of priorities to buy:
Lightning av adaptor
A-A hdmi lead
Lightning USB cable
And not sure if current setup has the the supplied lead