Japspeed manifold??

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
crasherkid said:
Cheers @Crazylegs, that was an interesting read.
No probs mate. It's a good read, I've never had a custom manifold but Alan at Solid Fabs work is supposed to be excellent. If you're feeling really flush get a Hayward and Scott one. I have had a PLM TRI-Y header on my B20 EK9 and it transformed the power delivery on the car especially when it was remapped. It also sounded better too.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
I'm just debating whether or not I'll be able to afford it to go all the way. What starts off as a few hundred quid for an exhaust manifold, all of a sudden turns into an RBC, bigger throttle body, a K100/Kpro remap which works out around £1500-£2k!!

p1tse

Advanced Member
crasherkid said:
I'm just debating whether or not I'll be able to afford it to go all the way. What starts off as a few hundred quid for an exhaust manifold, all of a sudden turns into an RBC, bigger throttle body, a K100/Kpro remap which works out around £1500-£2k!!
That's before labour, time of fitting and sourcing; being without the car etc. Which makes buying good modified ones at a little bit more to standard ones, good value for money IMO.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Yeah it sure is but when you've sourced all the bits yourself, you know it's gonna be right (hopefully)
But yeah I didn't even consider the costs for labour!!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch is right, it gets expensive to mod especially on these cars from what I've read.

If you can afford to do it stay NA but it will be costly or go forced induction because by the time you've blown 3k or whatever on mods you won't be far off Supercharging money.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Yeah your right.
Does anyone know if you need stiffer engine mounts with this Japspeed manifold or can you run one without the mounts?
When I was down at Tegiwa few days ago, they said with they're Tegiwa manifold you don't need to use engine mounts and that it's fine without them??

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I personally wouldn't spend money on power, they're fast enough as they are. If it's going on track then look more at suspension, brakes etc.

Mine has RBC, Gruppe M, DC manifold and RM01A exhaust. Kevin has an airbox. At Donington there was nothing in it on the straights, I was maybe a little bit faster, but we're talking fractions.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Was he's car totally standard?
You know this is something I've always wondered - even with an RBC, manifold, custom exhaust and kpro remap.. with that extra 15-20bhp, how much of that will you feel/notice or make the car any faster??
It's a lot of money to put in yet very little to get out.
For this very reason, I'm thinking of selling the Teg to invest in a little more to buy an FD2 as I really need a 4 door car. Plus the ride is too bumpy for my little one when he's in the car.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Engine wise his car is otherwise standard, he runs a Comptech Icebox and that's it. Lots of suspension and brake upgrades, though.

Don't get me wrong, getting a remap is great with mid range, so on the road it is fantastic for overtaking and being lazy and not having to shift down all the time, but don't go thinking that it'll make your car into a straight line missile because it certainly isn't the case.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
What do you expect? It's a DC5, not an Evo. If you want straight line speed buy something that's built for it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
What do you expect? It's a DC5, not an Evo. If you want straight line speed buy something that's built for it.
Agree to an extent but it's never nice being left behind by a Golf.

Another thing as well, most roads in the UK are in a straight line, you don't go round bends everywhere and not everyone gets the opportunity to go out on track either.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Agree to an extent but it's never nice being left behind by a Golf.

Another thing as well, most roads in the UK are in a straight line, you don't go round bends everywhere and not everyone gets the opportunity to go out on track either.
True but a Golf GTI has been 200ps or above for at least 10 years, the new ones are 220ps and if combined with the DSG box it will outrun a DC5 unless you're on it and ready, but no one drives around at 6k rpm in case there's someone in a Golf who just has to put his foot down in most gears and it'll go. Getting a manifold and a remap isn't going to change that by a huge amount.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Anyone tried this Japspeed manifold recently?
My Cat may be playing up and may need it to replace it and can't find one anywhere so was thinking of buying this Japspeed manifold just to replace the cat.

Chewy

Advanced Member
If he's selling a Toda Manifold for £200, you'll be having some competition. LOL.

I've currently got a Japspeed manifold on mine, I purchased it purely because I was getting my ITBs fitted and mapped and needed a cheap manifold to go on until I could fork out for something better.

Can't argue with the quality of it for the money I paid, It's exactly how you would imagine a £200 manifold would look and I already had the understanding that it wouldn't make quite as much power as alternatives on the market.

Personally, looking at it, I wouldn't be fitting one without some form of upgraded mounts or inserts just for preservation, but other than that, as long as you're not chasing numbers and on a budget, I can't fault it.

There's always an option of the Funky power manifold, very few reviews but all seemed good... I just went with the Japspeed as there was more information out there about it and the 12 warranty should something happen to it before I replace it.

Picture of the Japspeed;

3 by Lewis Needham, on Flickr

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Thanks mate seems pretty decent for the money then.
Yeah the 12 months warranty wins it over the funky power one which I also can't seem to find any info on.
Does this rattle or vibrate or has it been solid since you installed it?
I'm tempted to have a dig at it, for £200 surely can't go wrong.

Chewy

Advanced Member
No additional rattles or vibrations and fitted up to my custom catback (Which is OEM fitment) without any issues...One thing to note Is I already have solid engines mounts (Innovative 75A) installed so there is very very little engine movement.

Drone has increased within the cabin as has the noise output which is to be expected, but having the mounts doesn't help and exaggerates this greatly.

For the money, I really can't complain.