Juddering Problem - Sorted :)

raz786

Advanced Member
Re: Worn Engine/Gearbox Mounts? Please Help!!!!!

Hi mate, i currently have a problem with my car that sounds a little similar. I noticed the car was a lot more "shuddery" or for want of a better description "stall happy" where the engine would move a lot. TGM diagnosed a broken front engine mount, i believe there are 4 mounts, have yours all been checked? They don't necessarily have to be completely broken, may just be worn/cracked? My other problem sounds a little like yours too, and I believe its the engine mount thats causing it. If I decide to put my foot down in 2nd gear say, when I change gear the revs seem to hover or stall at before pulling away a bit more like normal.

I would think the Torque damper would reduce the wheel hop so maybe put that back on, I'm just waiting to get my NMount put on and hopefully that will solve my problem. Hope this helps mate!

:)

VT-Doo

RushDoo

oregato said:
Basically, if you're in third gear at 3,000 rpm going around 50 kmph and then you put your foot down, the engine 'wobbles' a bit. the revs stagger a little and then it pulls hard, the car jerks a bit forward and back for the first few seconds and then pulls all the way to vtec with no problems.
raz786 said:
Hi mate, i currently have a problem with my car that sounds a little similar. I noticed the car was a lot more "shuddery" or for want of a better description "stall happy" where the engine would move a lot. TGM diagnosed a broken front engine mount, i believe there are 4 mounts, have yours all been checked? They don't necessarily have to be completely broken, may just be worn/cracked? My other problem sounds a little like yours too, and I believe its the engine mount thats causing it. If I decide to put my foot down in 2nd gear say, when I change gear the revs seem to hover or stall at before pulling away a bit more like normal.

VT-Doo said:
Fronts will more than likely go first.
VT-Doo said:
The rubber in the mount will be spit, might seem like hairline cracks in the rubber.
:wink:

oregato

Advanced Member

thank you raz and vt doo, going to be bringing it up to the tuning factory in a while for them to diagnose, they've a really good reputation so fingers crossed will be able to diagnose,

raz, our issues sound similar but what do you mean when you say yours is stall happy? mine seems to pull fine and doesnt drop down in revs, more like it just takes a second at the revs before its able to pull, a bit kangaroo like, do you get this with yours?

oregato

Advanced Member
Tuning Factory for the win!

Yeap, as my last post stated I decided to bring the car up to the tuning factory to go over my car and see what the story was, we took it out for a spin and brought it back and put it on the ramp.

Straight away we could see that the front engine mount had broke!!

So I'm going to be getting uprated mount.

Think they're RS mounts.. any one have any experience with them?

Big thank you to Andy at the Tuning Factory!!!

Great lads up there and highly recommended!

raz786

Advanced Member

Exactly the same as mine, by stall happy i meant that when slowing down at times it kangaroos like mad and has stalled on me, which never usually happens. I laughed at myself the first time but i knew the kangaroo shaking was a problem.

I'm going to be replacing mine with the standard engine mount, as Tom at TGM said the uprated ones increase vibrations inside the cabin a lot, especially through the steering wheel, when sitting in traffic. And seeing as in London I see a lot of traffic :( i'll be sticking OEM. Just something to think about if you do sit in traffic a fair amount :)

oregato

Advanced Member

raz786 said:
Exactly the same as mine, by stall happy i meant that when slowing down at times it kangaroos like mad and has stalled on me, which never usually happens. I laughed at myself the first time but i knew the kangaroo shaking was a problem.

I'm going to be replacing mine with the standard engine mount, as Tom at TGM said the uprated ones increase vibrations inside the cabin a lot, especially through the steering wheel, when sitting in traffic. And seeing as in London I see a lot of traffic :( i'll be sticking OEM. Just something to think about if you do sit in traffic a fair amount :)
Cheers Raz!

From what I've been told, the OEM engine mounts are a fair bit more expensive than the RS ones, thats the reason why I'm going for them, as well as the fact that the car will be used for a few trackdays as well. It's also more of a weekend car for me as I don't drive it on the weekdays, so a bit more cabin vibration won't do me any harm!

Thanks again for the help lads, epescially VT-Doo and Raz! Cheers :)

VT-Doo

RushDoo

No problem, glad to be of help :green:

raz786

Advanced Member

No probs mate, have had mine fixed but not had a chance to drive it yet, and the weathers crap :(

oregato

Advanced Member

bump.

mounts changed but the problem still exits and seems to have gotten worse :(

mounts changed to rs ones on saturday, car seemed ok but still a bit shuddery as described in thread above, went for drive on sunday, was fine, haven't driven til today, started her up, fine.

then driving down the road, go into third, pulling out of my estate so going quite slow, into third and at around 3,000 rpm and put my foot down, car is very very very hesitant, not much power andi feel the judderyness, up to around 4,000 rpm in third and it pulls a little better, happened in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, if i'm driving at normal speeds like, seems to have gotten better once the engine warmed a bit but very sluggish :( i'm stumped.

checked oil level and everything seems to be in order, up to half way.

anyone any ideas :( its breaking my heart :(

also, if any of the dublin owners would be kind enough to meet up with me so that i could at least compare it to their motor thatr would be excellent help,anyone?

raz786

Advanced Member
Re: Juddering/clutch problem?? Please Help!

I'm having a lot of trouble too mate. Found that it isn't just the one mount thats broken with mine, 3 in total, one was replaced, the other 2 will be replaced this weekend hopefully. Get all the mounts rechecked. I'm also not sure if my clutch is going or not, my biting point seems to be very low, is this normal? Can't remember what it was like before coz i'm worrying too much.

oregato

Advanced Member

raz786 said:
I'm having a lot of trouble too mate. Found that it isn't just the one mount thats broken with mine, 3 in total, one was replaced, the other 2 will be replaced this weekend hopefully. Get all the mounts rechecked. I'm also not sure if my clutch is going or not, my biting point seems to be very low, is this normal? Can't remember what it was like before coz i'm worrying too much.
Hi Raz, thanks for replying, I've had all four mounts replaced with brand new ones at this stage.. I'm stumped as to what it could be :(

Is your clutch slipping? mine feels fine and its biting grand, but I'm not sure what it could be.

The problem I thought at first was what Stu reported before:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13639

But it now seems a lot worse for me.

VT-Doo

RushDoo

We might have went through this...

What modifications do you have?

Does this only happen when the car is cold, not up to operating temperature?

Stiffer engine mounts will get a tad softer over time. I'd say a month.
Stiffer engine mounts can cause the car to "vibrate" especially at first.

oregato

Advanced Member

VT-Doo said:
We might have went through this...

What modifications do you have?

Does this only happen when the car is cold, not up to operating temperature?

Stiffer engine mounts will get a tad softer over time. I'd say a month.
Stiffer engine mounts can cause the car to "vibrate" especially at first.
Mods are a gruppe M, after market exhaust and uprated engine mounts.

The car kind of struggles more when the car is cold, but when its up to temp is a bit better.

the stiffer mounts cause a bit more vibration but i'm alright with this, the problem is it still seems to be quite hesitant/kangarooy :( any help at all?

VT-Doo

RushDoo

What fuel do you use?

When were you spark plugs last changed?

When was the ECU last reset?

oregato

Advanced Member

VT-Doo said:
What fuel do you use?

When were you spark plugs last changed?

When was the ECU last reset?

I normally try and run the car on maxol E5, its rated as 99ron over here and is the only fuel that would be regarded as high quality, other than that, sometimes, i have to resort to using normal 95ron (As we dont have higher octane fuel here)

Spark plugs were changed a few months ago, but had them out today and they seemed fine, running a bit lean but not damaged or anything.

Never reset the ECU as i don't know how - any tips?!

I've brought the car down to the tuning factory today, who have driven it and can't find any faults, they say that it feels quite normal. so could it be in my head? I really need to compare it to another dc5!!!

I do feel that the car does seem to struggle when cold in 3rd/4th gear, it gets better once the engine is warm, but before that, it seems to be very hesistant in 3rd/4th gear at low revs.

Anyone any ideas?

VT-Doo

RushDoo

The car will not run 100% when cold, the ECU alters so many different variables in order to protect the engine.
The high compression the DC5 has also makes it a pig sometimes...especially when cold.

Reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member

Then go for a 20 minute drive at different speeds so the ECU can learn better

oregato

Advanced Member

The ECU would have been reset when I had the engine mounts changed. They disconnected the battery for a good while.

Are you guys sure that this is how to reset the ECU? I remember when I first got the car at the dealers for a test drive, the car idled irratically (up to 2,500 rpm then shoot down to 1,000 rpm and repeated until it got warm) and it was the ECU learning the revs or something - this didn't happen when they unplugged it when I got the mounts changed.

Any one any ideas please?

alucardo

Advanced Member

Can you comfirm when its

hesitant/kangarooy? what situation does this happen under par tthrottle at certain revs?