MTEC K20/K24 Race Spring Group Buy Interest

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
If anyone is interested I have 2 Sport Springs with Pivot Balls left and 1 single Pivot Ball. PM me if interested

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
I fitted my race spring & pivot ball and I am loving it. Easy mod to fit and the difference is awesome. My shifter didn't have much play in it at all , but the gear selections feel so much more positive! Great little mod! Highly recommend.

Cheers!!

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Phelpo711 said:
I fitted my race spring & pivot ball and I am loving it. Easy mod to fit and the difference is awesome. My shifter didn't have much play in it at all , but the gear selections feel so much more positive! Great little mod! Highly recommend.

Cheers!!
Thank you for the feedback on this mod, glad you are liking it :)

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Phelpo711 said:

Cheers!!
can you explain a bit more on the difference between this and OEM?

i know you say it feels more positive, but what does that actually mean? e.g is it easier / quicker to select gears etc?

cheers

donzooo

Advanced Member
Haven't fitted the race spring yet but the pivot ball made zero difference for me. The play is in the shifter arm spring mainly.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I have all my bits now so shall fit ASAP. Will take photos etc. I'm hoping to get rid of the slop in my gear lever but will rip it out to see what's going on.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Donald_TSC said:
Haven't fitted the race spring yet but the pivot ball made zero difference for me. The play is in the shifter arm spring mainly.
Depends how old your shifter box is, mines was circa 80k old and the OEM pivot ball had definitely worn. If you have play in the shifter arm spring, why not take it off and bend it ever so slightly?

WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
I have all my bits now so shall fit ASAP. Will take photos etc. I'm hoping to get rid of the slop in my gear lever but will rip it out to see what's going on.
Glad you got them all!

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
can you explain a bit more on the difference between this and OEM?

i know you say it feels more positive, but what does that actually mean? e.g is it easier / quicker to select gears etc?

cheers
My teg has only done 42000 miles an the shifter etc was good, no sloppiness etc. once I fitted these the slight crunch/ stiffness I sometimes used to get going 1st to 2nd has gone and 5th and 6th feel so much tighter also. I found with mine every gear seems so much easier to engage. This is no means a miracle cure for crunching gears but I certainly can feel a big difference.

I think the lads across the pond also rave about this setup....

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Phelpo711 said:
My teg has only done 42000 miles an the shifter etc was good, no sloppiness etc. once I fitted these the slight crunch/ stiffness I sometimes used to get going 1st to 2nd has gone and 5th and 6th feel so much tighter also. I found with mine every gear seems so much easier to engage. This is no means a miracle cure for crunching gears but I certainly can feel a big difference.

I think the lads across the pond also rave about this setup....
Much better, you've sold me there.

Am I right in thinking you've only got sport springs left?

With the race springs, do they feel fine for daily commute and traffic?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Much better, you've sold me there.

Am I right in thinking you've only got sport springs left?

With the race springs, do they feel fine for daily commute and traffic?
I've only got Sport Springs with Pivot Balls left.

MtecInd claim the Sport spring is ideal for daily and the Race spring more track biased, but ultimately the Race Spring is thicker and thus shall offer more resistance.

donzooo

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Depends how old your shifter box is, mines was circa 80k old and the OEM pivot ball had definitely worn. If you have play in the shifter arm spring, why not take it off and bend it ever so slightly?
I did that, OEM pivot ball was fine in my case but my car has only done 60k miles and well treated, I daresay for an older car I can see the difference but when I got the teg the guy I took it to get it checked over commented how tight everything felt in the gearbox.

Looking forward to see how the actual springs hold up. Waiting to get my hands on a torque wrench and decent RTV / Hondabond still.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Right, I have fitted the pivot ball and it seems to have taken up best part if not all of the slop I was getting from the old one. However, the cables do still seem to move a fair bit. 4-5 mm forward and back and 2-3 mm left to right. In guessing this isn't normal?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Right, I have fitted the pivot ball and it seems to have taken up best part if not all of the slop I was getting from the old one. However, the cables do still seem to move a fair bit. 4-5 mm forward and back and 2-3 mm left to right. In guessing this isn't normal?
The cables themselves wouldn't wear I'd have thought, could be the bushes on top of the gearbox, they are known to wear - see HR Imports group buy for the best solution to replacing those.

As another member stated about, they had a bit of slack in the spring on the shifter box, removing this and bending it slightly should remove that if there is any.

There is also still other "joints" in the shift mechanism that will be subject to wear too.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I already have the HR shifter bushes. And I tightened up the spring in the mechanism too. Will see if the springs will make a difference but I doubt it. Only in the throw I guess?

Rob R

Advanced Member
Change the cables, best thing I've ever done on either of my 2 DC5's....that includes K100. Just awesome

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I drive it to work this morning. It's 10x better than it was before. I think it's just the forward and backwards cable. Can you buy them seperatley?

Rom

Advanced Member
From an oem standpoint. They are generally a pair. Not sure about aftermarket.
I guess I've not had my long enough to notice any change or deterioration in the gear change.

Going to see what improvement the springs and ball make.
Think I'd need to test one with the cables / shifter before I blew £600!

Rob R

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
I drive it to work this morning. It's 10x better than it was before. I think it's just the forward and backwards cable. Can you buy them seperatley?
They way they're built OEM is with the rubber gasket around them so I doubt you can buy them in singles. Never seen aftermarket ones sold in singles either.