New tyres

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I managed to get the new ad08r from Demon Tweeks fitted today, just got to get the refund from dms.... Ha

Snowdrift

I love the new ad08r's. So much feedback, sidewalls are nice and stiff and really surprised how well they perform in the wet, although they are absolutely useless at getting off wet grass as i found out at JAE :p.

I got mine from black circles because i could get them next day and was in a hurry for JAE, paid £180 a corner.

Tried a lot of tyres over the years and so far these are some of the best. Wasn't too keen on the eagle f1's, they seemed a bit vague in the feedback department but decent in the wet. I only tried them on my Impreza which was AWD so they might perform better on the teg.

Erm

Advanced Member
Snowdrift said:
I love the new ad08r's. So much feedback, sidewalls are nice and stiff and really surprised how well they perform in the wet, although they are absolutely useless at getting off wet grass as i found out at JAE :p.

I got mine from black circles because i could get them next day and was in a hurry for JAE, paid £180 a corner.

Tried a lot of tyres over the years and so far these are some of the best. Wasn't too keen on the eagle f1's, they seemed a bit vague in the feedback department but decent in the wet. I only tried them on my Impreza which was AWD so they might perform better on the teg.
put them on a DC5 and you'll eat your words about the F1 AS2s

xhelen06x

Advanced Member
so the ad08r's are better then the F1s? are Michelin ones any good?

also, the front are a different size to the back is that normal or has the lad before me made a mistake?!

Erm

Advanced Member
xhelen06x said:

also, the front are a different size to the back is that normal or has the lad before me made a mistake?!
No the car is MEANT to run 215/45/17 all around. Some people put 225/45/17 on and have the tyre protruding out both sides for a wider surface area in contact with the road but the correct tyre size for the OEM alloys is 215/45/17

No the AD08Rs are NOT better than the F1 AS2s (Y 91 rated). They are labelled as worse on fuel, worse in the wet and noisier... Trust me when I tell you get 4 F1 AS2s as I put in a previous post and you'll enjoy the car even in the wet when lesser tyres can make the car a pig in the wet to drive.

xhelen06x

Advanced Member
Erm said:
No the car is MEANT to run 215/45/17 all around. Some people put 225/45/17 on and have the tyre protruding out both sides for a wider surface area in contact with the road but the correct tyre size for the OEM alloys is 215/45/17

No the AD08Rs are NOT better than the F1 AS2s (Y 91 rated). They are labelled as worse on fuel, worse in the wet and noisier... Trust me when I tell you get 4 F1 AS2s as I put in a previous post and you'll enjoy the car even in the wet when lesser tyres can make the car a pig in the wet to drive.
ok thank you, sorry I still have lots to learn!!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member

I would choose AD08/R every day over F1A2.

Mebz

Advanced Member
I recently had to change all 4 tyres and went for eagle F1's. This was only becsuse I am new to the DC5 and don't know it's limits therefore wanted a safer, all round tyre.

From the digging around I've done, the re070's and ad08 are much much better in the dry but not in the wet. I will be changing to one of these but only once I get more familiar with the car.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Much better is an exaggeration especially for the re070s,they are a similar grippy tyre to the Goodyear but worse in the wet,wouldnt consider those an upgrade at all. I've been driving tegs ( 5 of them ) for over a decade and the Goodyears are my favourite tyre so far. Dont be so quick to judge a tyre on people's opinions on here. Make up your own mind.
If you have any negative feedback on these tyres I would be surprised.
They are light,have stiff sidewalls on xl version,good in dry and wet,last fairly well,progressive grip,quiet,good on fuel,cheap to buy.
What's not to like?

Dan34

Advanced Member
F1's are probably the best all round tyre, comfort, wear rate, dry/wet grip etc. perfect for daily duties.

RE070's are a fair bit better for out and out grip in the dry, I use them on track and for a road tyre they're bloody good.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Never had any problems with the ad08 and now the new ad08r is even better. Wet grip is still pretty good, I tend to push it at times and it hasn't given up in the wet.

Snowdrift

Erm said:
While they may be rated higher in the above areas (i can't confirm because ive never compared the ratings) those are all secondary to dry grip when i choose a tyre personally.

Its purely my opinion but i found the f1's lacking in dry grip compared to the ad08r's and re70's. The F1's are a good tyre but i wouldn't choose them over some of the others available. I like to think i am a competent driver and can push most of my cars to the limit every now and then, the ad08r's give me quite a bit more feedback and confidence to do that.

It's always going to come down to personal preference and everybody wants different things from a tyre but the ad08r's work for me.

Just my 2 cents.

integraleo

Advanced Member
That's it everyone has different requirements from a tyre,I agree dry grip is ver. important and I push my cars quite often, but you have to remember in our country how often is it dry in this country compared to damp,wet,slippery?
And it's not as if the dry grip on the as2's is bad...far from it I think they are great.
Ok there might be a couple tyres out there that have a bit more ultimate grip but the trade off is quiter,long lasting,light,good at rolling resistance and great ware and very good price. A lot of benefits for a tyre that is a solid 8-8.5 out of ten for dry grip.

donkeykong

Advanced Member
Erm said:

Duh, its a semi slick, worse on fuel cause you have more rolling resistance cause you have 10 times more grip. Wet handling is rated high also for this semi slick, maybe not as good as a normal sporty tire and in real life they dont make much more noise than normal tires.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I'm not doubting ultimate grip will be better but no where near 10 times,more like 15/20%

dc55_11

Advanced Member
Interesting read, I was due to change tires recently and thought about going for the obvious choices Yokohama's Goodyear or the Bridgestone re70 but was at TGM and just thought Id ask Tom what he reckoned and he said to me without any hesitation, go for the continental sport 5 contact, so I thought might as well . Fitted them last week and gradually pushed harder and harder everyday to reach the limit and I gotta say I am pretty impressed there is progressive grip and from looking at the thread pattern these will be stunning in the dry. So that is another option for you to consider also the fact that its probably gonna be crap weather until April might be better off the save the ultimate dry grip tire for later which is what I did.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Sport 5 contact is very very similar in performance to the Goodyear,to the point you probably wouldn't be able to judge any difference in grip. They receive very similar reviews online

dc55_11

Advanced Member
They probably are not saying one is better than the other as I haven't tried the others just saying that so far I'm very impressed by the Conti's thats all.