New tyres

beppe786

Beppe
Ive got the contact 5 on the back of my car and re70 on the front. Soon will be re70 all around as wanna get 225 all around

Both are great re70 do grip more in the dry its unreal. You can feel the torque steer and tires griping.. makes the standard lsd work..

Not that bad in the wet either any tires would spin depends on what power your running..

Justintian

Advanced Member
The goodyear F1AS2 was the best I have ever used on my last car Mazda3 MPS, runing 300hp, great tyres.
Surprisingly I properly will change the tyre back to Goodyear again XD

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Can I just ask a question?

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's on the front at the moment and will be getting the same on the rears shortly.

Mine don't feel that grippy and that's in both dry and wet conditions, on wet slippy roads there is no grip at all and the car feels as though it's sliding all over the shop especially when it's lashing it down.

Now I do I have a damaged suspension which will be getting replaced next week (OEM shocks and Eibach springs). Once this has been done and I have a full geometry setup and AS2's on the rear, will I see an improvement in the overall handling and grip levels in all conditions?

How much of an impact does the suspension have on the tyres and how they grip the road?

Thanks.

Mark_teg

Staff member
The geometry will effect how much of a contact patch is between the tyre and road, so it will affect the grip, so will the tyre pressure..

But it's also putting 200bhp+ through the front wheels, so careful inputs can be required, especially in our current wintery conditions.

The Goodyear assy 2 is a great tyre, use them myself..

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers Mark.

I'll know more about the handling after next weekend, it's going in for the shocks and springs Tuesday and a full geometry set up next Saturday, going to take it for a good blast next Sunday to test it out. The guys doing it did the setup on my EK9 but they had problems finding the car on their database as it's an import so can imagine them having the same issues with the Integra.

As for tyres I think I might have the pressures up a tad too high, currently running 34 on the front and 32 on the back so I might reduced these to 32 and 30 respectively and see if this also improves them.

Erm

Advanced Member
I use 32 all round.... and something sounds very wrong. New eagle F1 AS2s should grip in the wet like you're in the dry.....

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers man, I'll give 32 all round a blast.

Something is wrong and it's highly likely the fact that my coilovers are knackered is what is probably causing my lack of grip.

I'll find out soon enough!

redcap

Advanced Member
I have had AD08's and RE070's, both great tyres but I am now considering the Goodyear AS2's. I want an all round tyre, better wet performance would be a bonus so I think they will do the job in the 91Y or 94Y XL version.

Opinions on size please, keeping in mind I am running 17 x 8 Rays wheels should I go for the 225 or 215? I'm leaning towards the 225's.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I've been running the Goodyear's for just under a year now, XL version in 215, and although they do grip well in the wet/ dry, they just don't inspire confidence on the turn in too much. They appear to be a very soft and squidgy tyre. When you close the doors for example, the whole car wobbles. lol

This makes for a comfy ride, but when I drove on my winter wheels for a brief period recently, I noticed a difference in the sidewall stiffness straight away. The car seemed to regain its agility a bit better, and felt sharper on turn in. I did miss it, had I not swapped, I would have been none the wiser. lol

I'm not saying they are terrible tyres by any means, very opposite in fact, but although I don't want to remove them just yet, When the time comes I don't think I shall buy them again. If I had a run around car, 100% I would buy them, but for me anyway on the Teg I want to try something different next. :)

.....And not RE070's before anyone suggests, haha although a very good tyre I just find it very ugly, and the tyre looks enormous for my wheels. On this case its purely form over function for me with them.

redcap

Advanced Member
It sounds like there is mixed opinion on these AS2's, I am a bit concerned about the sidewall stiffness.

I like the feel of stiffer tyres so I might regret fitting them? If they are soft even in the XL version.

Anyone had AD08's and the AS2's and how did they compare?

What is the wear rate like on the AS2's?

Have to admit a bit more ride comfort would be appealing as long as they are still stiff enough to have good feel and confidence cornering.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Wear is fine, mine is driven daily for about 40 miles and weekends with a fair amount of abuse in corners during dry days, and they have lasted well, fronts still have 4.5 and rears 6mm tred ( just had mot) with about 8 months on them. Wear is not an issue.
Rom has the 225 xl version, i have 215 xl and they both do it, id say if anything the 225 were slightly worse and the door shut wobble test?? I dunno. Haha not very scientific but you get the gist.

They are a great tyre, but for these cars ive been in one with ado8 and there is a difference. Much stiffer on the sidewall in comparison.

My falken FK453 tyres on the other wheels do give more exciting cornering in the dry. But in the wet the goodyears do shine.

I'm not saying you can't go fast round a corner, you can, it does stick but its not as sharp as with my other tyres, just feels abit...weird if your really pushing them. Heard mixed reviews of them on track...I personally wouldn't want to track drive with them, I think they would let the car down a bit. But im not rushing to change them, i know im safe if i ever need to rely on them, but yeah like you I prefer a stiffer tyre I think.

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Have to agree with James about the wobble test am sure its the tyre wall on the Goodyears, Mine always look flat when parked up. As for the pirelli p zeros can't fault them came with the car when I bought it 4 years ago I've also done two track days on the the pirelli's & they are still going strong.

Linus27

Advanced Member
I also agree with Jimmers with the wobble feel of the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's. I also have the whole lack of confidence on turn in and for me lift off oversteer is now very pronounced. At times the car is quite frightening with how much it's moving about. My tyres are about 6 months old and they have not worn at all and did give good grip in the wet. However, they have been horrible for the car and ruined the feel so, I have purchased a set of AD08R's which should be going on some time next week.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I got 12k out of a set of as2s on the front. I managed 13.5k out of the re070s. I absolutely wouldn't swap my Re070s for anything else I just love them. Best feedback and dry grip tyre I've ever driven with very stiff sidewalls and no wobble feel at all. Oem fitment tyre on fd2 and r35 gtr

RichA

Advanced Member
I don't think the RE070 can be beaten for the price, I switched to them from AD08s and while the AD08s may have a tiny little advantage on track I don't think they are worth 2x the price of a RE070 which work better on wet roads.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
I also agree with Jimmers with the wobble feel of the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's. I also have the whole lack of confidence on turn in and for me lift off oversteer is now very pronounced. At times the car is quite frightening with how much it's moving about. My tyres are about 6 months old and they have not worn at all and did give good grip in the wet. However, they have been horrible for the car and ruined the feel so, I have purchased a set of AD08R's which should be going on some time next week.
I echo this and what Jimmer has said. I'm not a fan of the Goodyears, yes wear has been ok on them but they feel soft, as above they make the car feel wobbly as ridiculous as that may seem but they don't inspire too much confidence and they do always look perma-flat. Mind you I can never say with confidence that I've ever driven a car that's had good tyres and I've had all sorts from the likes of Pirelli P Zero's which were scary in the wet right through to Yokohama Parada's and Vredersteins, the Vredersteins were alright actually to be fair.

The RE070's seem to be getting good reviews but if you can afford it I'd go for the AD08R's or Michelin Pilot Super Sports, if not the RE070's.