OBD Reader Suggestions

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
I bought one of these Torque pro ELM327 adapters from Amazon and tested it with the Torque lite app last week, at first it refused to connect to the DC5 no matter what I tried 'Cannot connect to ECU'.

I ended up testing it on the Mrs car and it connected straight away and I could use all functions, Went back to the DC5, tried it again and worked that time, tested it and all good.

For £13 (or whatever it was) I can't complain, a little laggy but no more so than the IODBii I had previously had which was x5 the price.

Try testing it on something else like i did to be sure it's an issue with the adapter or not.
What was the other car, if you don't mind me asking? The mrs has got a golf but even when I tried that it didn't even get as far as "checking model" just scrolled around searching for a protocol to use. Pretty sure you need special adapters and software for VW anyways.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I've just been through all of this and found S one that works, wifi only works (with my car) tried 5 and Bluetooth ones never worked. Johnny kindly sent me his to try and the wifi one I brought worked first time. I'll get the link to it up when home later.

Carl

Link to the only one I got working with my android headunit.

Pumpkin OBD2 Elm 327 WIFI Wireless Car Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool for Apple iPhone ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J0U0ICK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_07GNyb4H0Z4V1

Chewy

Advanced Member
BAD3GG said:
What was the other car, if you don't mind me asking? The mrs has got a golf but even when I tried that it didn't even get as far as "checking model" just scrolled around searching for a protocol to use. Pretty sure you need special adapters and software for VW anyways.

No worries mate, it was a 2013 Seat Ibiza.

Could be something to do with the App?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I've just been through all of this and found S one that works, wifi only works (with my car) tried 5 and Bluetooth ones never worked. Johnny kindly sent me his to try and the wifi one I brought worked first time. I'll get the link to it up when home later.

Carl

Link to the only one I got working with my android headunit.

Pumpkin OBD2 Elm 327 WIFI Wireless Car Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool for Apple iPhone ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J0U0ICK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_07GNyb4H0Z4V1
Cheers for the link mate, have you had that working with a phone as well as the head unit? I'm sure there won't be a difference as it's all Android, just out of curiosity.

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
No worries mate, it was a 2013 Seat Ibiza.

Could be something to do with the App?

It's it a petrol? Kinda strange as both that and the golf are both vag.

I was originally thinking It was something to do with the app and it'd just be some setting somewhere that I needed to change, but I sat for about an hour in my car last night fiddling about with every different setting on that app and still got the same message . I'll try and give it a go in someone else's car and see if I can get different results.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
BAD3GG said:
Cheers for the link mate, have you had that working with a phone as well as the head unit? I'm sure there won't be a difference as it's all Android, just out of curiosity.

Hi mate I've got an iPhone and not tried on that, I can tomorrow and report back if you like?

Carl

Chewy

Advanced Member
BAD3GG said:
It's it a petrol? Kinda strange as both that and the golf are both vag.

I was originally thinking It was something to do with the app and it'd just be some setting somewhere that I needed to change, but I sat for about an hour in my car last night fiddling about with every different setting on that app and still got the same message . I'll try and give it a go in someone else's car and see if I can get different results.

No mate, it's a 2.0 Diesel ( FR 143bhp) so basically a golf. Haha... shouldn't really matter though.

I'm pretty sure I reinstalled the app at some point before it started working as well...might be worth a shout considering how quick and easy it is.

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
So I tested the adapter on a different car (leon FR diesel) and it worked fine. Adapter connected to the phone and ECU ok, my car is in storage on the other side of town and didn't have my keys so couldn't test it again, but will test tomorrow. Cheers for the replies guys hopefully it works as yours did chewy now otherwise I'll just buy a new adapter.

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi mate I've got an iPhone and not tried on that, I can tomorrow and report back if you like?

Carl
If you could mate that'd be a great help cheers 👍

carl hammond

Advanced Member
If you could mate that'd be a great help cheers

I will do this for you this week mate sorry don't use the car daily but will sort it before Friday and report back :)

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I will do this for you this week mate sorry don't use the car daily but will sort it before Friday and report back :)
Nice one mate, no rush. 👍