Oil advice and recommendations

George K

Advanced Member
Neo oil

Very limited information. Neo Oils of California. 75W-90'RHD' Fully synthetic is all that i can find.

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
Will do some digging, not good for a honda box though. They like and MTF which is thinner then a conventional 75w-90 gear oil.

Cheers

Guy.

Paul Type R

Oilman,

What would you think would be better for our (or any) engines. Using a semi syth and changing every 6000 miles or using a fully syth and changing every 12000 miles. I know it's recommended to use 5W/30 or 5W/40 for the K20 but would there be any probs with oil circulation on start up using 10W (as most semi syths are).

Would there be any worth while advantage changing a fully synth every 6000 miles or would this be just throwing money down the drain.

Paul

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
Its easy, QUALITY synthetic changed at a longer interval.

The simple fact of it is quality synthetics are better in every way and will go the distance, so does not matter how often you change the semi (100% mineral) it will never lubricate and protect as well as the synthetic.

Cheers

Guy.

Paul Type R

I noticed you emphasized "quality" there. It sounds like some fully synths are better than others. At the mo i'm using Shell Helix Ultra VX 5w/30. Is this good or is there another oil you would recommend instead?

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
The shell helix is fine, but as with everything there is better if you want it.

Yes quality is important, home brand synthetics etc are generally pretty poor.

Cheers

Guy.

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Hi Oilman,

Great thread :)

Just signed up at Opie oils to buy some engine oil, but wanted to ask:

If you're changing from 5w-30 (already in the engine) to 5w-40 would you recommend a complete oil change from scratch or can the oil be topped up with the new 5w-40 on top of the old 5w-30.

scooby222

hi, this is a great thread-very helpful!
ive got an 04 type r with airbox and catback exhaust which im going to give a service for peace of mind as i dont know how much the garage did as a service when we bought it or what they used,and also its a bit reluctant to go into 2nd when cold so thought id do the gear oil too-whatd be the best to use for engine,gear and filter?

omadc5

Advanced Member
hi, ive a 03 dc5 with 50000 miles and im lookin to change the gearbox oil, the gears currently feel fine, bit stiff goin from 1st into 2nd when cold but fine when warms up. (Is this normal?)
Looking the best quality oil recomendation??

mark type r

Advanced Member
Just bought some Silkolene Pro S from Oilman

Just wanted to say thanks for the excellent service :wink:

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
They recommend it for the DC2 as well :? They are way off the mark so no idea what they are on.

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
I have just checked in my Japanese service manaual that came with the car, Honda state 5W-40 for the DC5.