Oil advice and recommendations

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
I should imagine it is white purely for marketing. Oil is clear like water once its all made up, they then add colour (usually golden) but you get get yellow, red, green oil what ever colour you like.

Cheers

Guy

Shanetyper

Advanced Member
Hey Guy.
i have a 01, DC sports mani, 5zigen exh,k&n and dastek chip. Mainly road use but planning a track day soon.
My first oil was Motul 300V 5w-40 and was nearly empty 6 weeks later.
Now using CASTROL EDGE SPORT 10w-60 and seems to be fine but im nearing a service and wondering what to use next???

dc5ian

Advanced Member
he would tell u to go back to the motul oil you was useing befor or sikoline pro 5w 40..

bit of a debate really going on as oileman recomends 5w40 and a few honda tuning places tend to go for the castrol 10w 60

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
Shanetyper said:
Hey Guy.
i have a 01, DC sports mani, 5zigen exh,k&n and dastek chip. Mainly road use but planning a track day soon.
My first oil was Motul 300V 5w-40 and was nearly empty 6 weeks later.
Now using CASTROL EDGE SPORT 10w-60 and seems to be fine but im nearing a service and wondering what to use next???
Go back to 5w-40 or 10w-40 synthetic, 10w-60 may have redused consumption but it is way too thick for your car.

Think of it as giving it very high blood pressure.

Cheers

Guy

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Hi I have just bought a DC5 at the weekend , i rang the honda dealer it was last serviced at and they told me it has 10w 40 in it. Is there any disadvantage to having this over 5w 40. The Honda place said i can either use 0w 30 or 5w 40.

thanks for your help

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
No its fine, only that the chances are its a semi synthetic so the cost option if you like.

5w-40, 0w-40 and 0w-30 are all synthetic so a better quality choice.

Cheers

Guy.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Is it very likley to be semi synthetic or can you get fully synthetic 10w 40? Cause i am not sure if its Mobil oil in it. Cause i have already got 2 brand new cans of 10w 40 castrol GTX Magnatec. Would that be ok to use? Sorry if i'm being blond lol :lol:

dc5ian

Advanced Member
civic17_99 said:
Is it very likley to be semi synthetic or can you get fully synthetic 10w 40? Cause i am not sure if its Mobil oil in it. Cause i have already got 2 brand new cans of 10w 40 castrol GTX Magnatec. Would that be ok to use? Sorry if i'm being blond lol :lol:
it will be ok, just wont be fully synthetic, and of the highest quality, theres alot better out there

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Hi,

Im just about to order some oil for my DC5 (5w 40 Pro S) but also need to order some for my wifes car. I had a look on your site and it came back with 5 w 30. I also spoke to a friend who has the same car, and he was advised by yourself (might have been your brother) to use Mobil 1 0w 40. So really just wanted to clarify what to use. Details below.

Thanks

Mark

Make - Skoda
Model - Octavia VRS
Year - 2002
Engine size/type - 1.8 Turbo

Any mods
Yes. Boost pressure increased. Inlet manifold. Larger intercooler. After marhet exhaust.

Type of use (road/track) - Road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) . Not available

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? - Engine oil please.

MrHanky

Advanced Member
oilman said:
Hi,

Is the VRS on teh fixed or variable service schedule?

Cheers

Guy
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I believe it is on a fixed schedule (only recently bought the car), but will need to double check when I get home. Can you let me know what it is for both options?

Thanks again

Mark

MrHanky

Advanced Member