Pioneer SPH-DA120

alan-lee

Advanced Member
kyle'87 said:
Here is a video of my HTC M7 fully mirrored onto my Pioneer SPH-DA120. This might help a few guys who were thinking about the headunt but not sure of its capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_fFlOKfQ3M

I will try to answer any questions anyone has.

EDIT: The video may appear to jump around time I open up Waze. I decided after filming that the location it shows might be a little bit of a homing beacon so I cut it out, Waze does work flawlessly however.

EDIT2: Only thing to note is that I am not 100% sure what the output of the Android phone needs to have. I think it is to do with being MHL through HDMI compatible, however I am still yet to confirm this.

All I know is that the SGS6 would not work (admittedly it wasn't rooted but I didn't trust bricking the phone with Samsung's new "KNOX" install) as it does not put out MHL through USB.

12/01/2016 EDIT3: Managed to root my Sony Z3, now I have it working exactly like the HTC M7 did. :xgrin:
Also where did you get your surround?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I seem to be having trouble with mine. First month it was ok but recently with the Bluetooth it keeps dropping connection. The phone is sometimes in my pocket but most of the time it's in the cup holder. It's only 30cm from the unit!!

Any ideas?

kyle'87

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
I seem to be having trouble with mine. First month it was ok but recently with the Bluetooth it keeps dropping connection. The phone is sometimes in my pocket but most of the time it's in the cup holder. It's only 30cm from the unit!!

Any ideas?
I haven't noticed any issues with my Bluetooth. I can have it either in the cup holder or in the glove box without issues.

If my Bluetooth does play up, it is always resolved my disconnecting from my phone and reconnecting. I am sure this is my phone as it does it with other devices. It's a rooted Z3 FYI.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Also, has anyone done the update on these? Never done one on mine. Does anyone know how to do it??! 😔

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Ok so I think it's me not so up to date with technology! Lol

Looks like I had to download my music from the iCloud. So I did this and now it doesn't cut out. Great.

But I'm having trouble connecting via Bluetooth to the stereo. When I get in the car it connects and plays for about 1 second then drops connection. I then go to the settings on my iPhone and select Bluetooth. There I can see that the stereo is found as a device but says not connected. When I press on this it tries to connect but fails, dropping in and out for about 5-6 seconds then says not connected again.

All I want is to get in my car with my phone in my pocket and for it to automatically connect and I can play music from my phone!! Is that too much to ask??! 😡

maxvr6

Advanced Member
If you are using an iphone make sure its on the latest iOS, the last version of iOS had stability problems with the Bluetooth although I didn't experience this myself. I have had this problem before though and killing all the apps and rebooting does help sometimes.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Also, has anyone done the update on these? Never done one on mine. Does anyone know how to do it??!
I looked into doing the update on mine, however when I checked it was on the latest version of the pioneer OS. There is a newer update but it seems to be for the US version of the HU and when I was reading through the firmware update logs it explicitly said not to update any model other than the one the update was intended for.

I don't mind messing around with different software versions etc but when it comes to firmware my IT spider senses kick in and I tend to follow what the update logs says haha

EDIT: Here is a website that focuses on the CarPlay function of head units, they mention in a previous article about the update and I think they are waiting on information from Pioneer about what updates are applicable to the EU head unit.

My current version is 1.08 but the US is up to 1.11.

nsxer

Advanced Member
Quality from bt music play is somewhat diminished
Best getting a proper wired connection pioneer unit ... They work very well indeed. Have one in my Nsx ... It Can also pay bt but you can really hear the loss. I rarely use it tbh.

Not knocking your choice of unit just my thoughts on bt audio

If and when I get a dc5 I will be putting a decent unit and speakers in

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've got an older Pioneer appradio, used to have a rooted Nexus 4 connected to it and it was fine.

I then changed to a Nexus 5 which wasn't rooted however music connected via the MHL adapter still played but I had no touchscreen capability.

I now have an S6 and nothing works. If I turn bluetooth on it recognises the phone but won't pair and I can't even get any music to play from the phone via the HU.

Is there any way about this as I don't want to root the phone because I use online banking a lot and the Barclays app doesn't work on a rooted phone.

Thanks.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
nsxer said:
Quality from bt music play is somewhat diminished
Best getting a proper wired connection pioneer unit ... They work very well indeed. Have one in my Nsx ... It Can also pay bt but you can really hear the loss. I rarely use it tbh.

Not knocking your choice of unit just my thoughts on bt audio

If and when I get a dc5 I will be putting a decent unit and speakers in
Don't get me wrong, this choice of headunit was only to bring my phone to the touch screen at a decent price. If I could justify an Alpine touchscreen it would be installed tomorrow. I rarely listen to music in my cars now.

When I eventually get round to an ICE install, this HU will be going.

Damn it, I miss my old audio equipment :(

Crazylegs said:
I've got an older Pioneer appradio, used to have a rooted Nexus 4 connected to it and it was fine.

I then changed to a Nexus 5 which wasn't rooted however music connected via the MHL adapter still played but I had no touchscreen capability.

I now have an S6 and nothing works. If I turn bluetooth on it recognises the phone but won't pair and I can't even get any music to play from the phone via the HU.

Is there any way about this as I don't want to root the phone because I use online banking a lot and the Barclays app doesn't work on a rooted phone.

Thanks.
From when I had my S6 I didn't have any problems with the Bluetooth so I am not sure what is up there.

The Bluetooth connection will operate outside of the "appradio" interface, if that makes sense. Why it won't connect, is beyond me. I'd persevere with the Bluetooth connection, sometimes with my Z3 I have to connect the Bluetooth, then disconnect it from the phone and reconnect before it will work.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
So is it just a case of turning Bluetooth on and off you go? Read the other day that the S6 doesn't have HDMI or MHL which is why it won't connect, supposedly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
From everything i read the only app is appradio which needs root. It needs root to access the info required for touch mirror. Given the age of the head unit I dont think we will see any other developers doing awt else.

I have my s5 rooted and it works perfectly but i also have a 160Gb ipod connected permanently which provides music with or without the phone connected. I had the chance of a new phone from work but knew it would be an ass to get everything working again so i opted out. To be honest the new samsungs offer nawt special over the s5 so i havent bothered with an upgrade. Saves you money too :)

kyle'87

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
So is it just a case of turning Bluetooth on and off you go? Read the other day that the S6 doesn't have HDMI or MHL which is why it won't connect, supposedly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
For me, it is try to connect > fails > turn off Bluetooth or in Bluetooth settings disconnect from HU if it has 'connected' > turn Bluetooth back on/ tap HU pairing to reconnect > away we go.

In terms of the S6, the USB connection does not do MHL, which is poor form from Samsung IMO. Plus trying to root also is dodgy due to their new KNOX system.

MissMyDC2 said:
From everything i read the only app is appradio which needs root. It needs root to access the info required for touch mirror. Given the age of the head unit I dont think we will see any other developers doing awt else.

I have my s5 rooted and it works perfectly but i also have a 160Gb ipod connected permanently which provides music with or without the phone connected. I had the chance of a new phone from work but knew it would be an ass to get everything working again so i opted out. To be honest the new samsungs offer nawt special over the s5 so i havent bothered with an upgrade. Saves you money too :)
Permanently connecting an iPod is a great shout, going to look into that. Streaming my YouTube playlist when I do happen to be listening to music is tedious.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
So i just upgraded to an iPhone SE and started having a Bluetooth issue aswell, but i managed to fix this so it might help others too, although i only have an old DA100 so this may not apply.

Basically my phone would not pair, both phone and radio saying they failed to connect. I then discovered a menu i had not noticed before... On the main screen there is the App button which shows a little connection flag next to it, when the phone is in range it tries to connect and the flag shows the radio is trying to make a connection. While its still attempting the connection, tap the App button and you will get a pop-up window, hit settings and in there you will see an option called "connection", tap that and you will see a list of device names previously connected to it. Tap the trash button next to them all, then try to reconnect.

Once i did this it paired no problem, it seems they have a limited memory and had run out so couldn't save the connection details...

Hope this helps some peeps!

Kev.W

Advanced Member
loud945 said:
anyone connected a reversing camera to theirs? I'm thinking of fitting one, should be easy, the only pain is finding and spicing into the reverse light cable..

Here is a camera I've seen, seen a few cheaper, but usually sent from Hong Kong
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Waterproof-170-Wide-Angle-HD-Car-Reverse-Camera-Rear-View-Parking-LED-Sensor-/281902323808?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
This is something I've been wanting to do with mine but I want to do it like the police have done with their unmarked cars where they've got their cameras behind the number plates

loud945

Yeah good point, might be nice to try and hide the camera a bit, especially on a CW where it will stick out. So they put the camera next to the reg plate or drill a small hole in it so it can see through?