Post a picture of your detailing goodies

Rom

Advanced Member
Ive used a rotary, but didnt think id really need one on soft paint ? Not tried a DA, but they are much more forgiving i gather.

Rom

Advanced Member
I've seen a brand new Rav 4, where the woman 'cleaned' the bird poo off with a brillo!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Erm

Advanced Member
G Man said:
Haha, your reasons?
A good DA with the correct pad can get the same results in a similar time than a rotary without any potential issues or mistakes from a tiny lapse in concentration. Most pros I know will only use a DA now. The rotary is old tech. If you can easily get wet sanding marks out with a DA what reason is there to get a rotary?

G Man

Advanced Member
Erm said:
A good DA with the correct pad can get the same results in a similar time than a rotary without any potential issues or mistakes from a tiny lapse in concentration. Most pros I know will only use a DA now. The rotary is old tech. If you can easily get wet sanding marks out with a DA what reason is there to get a rotary?
Well, because you can't. Rotary will always be quicker for any job, a lot quicker. Tiny lapse in concentration? Why is everyone so scared of a rotary? It doesn't rip through paint if you don't pay attention for a second.

Ben_brodie

Advanced Member
Well, because you can't. Rotary will always be quicker for any job, a lot quicker. Tiny lapse in concentration? Why is everyone so scared of a rotary? It doesn't rip through paint if you don't pay attention for a second.
I think he means for people who don't have much experience of polishing by machine, using a rotary will always be quicker and does add that extra deep shine but a DA is also a very capable machine and it's all in the technique when machine polishing. For beginners, especially on cars with thin paint from the factory like ours a DA will allow you to learn your technique and will be far more forgiving than a rotary however any form of machine polishing carries risks if you don't use a paint depth gauge because paint is not always even and there are variables to consider eg edges of panels usually have thinner paint and also you can't always tell if a panels been resprayed or previously had an aggressive paint correction carried out so for anyone reading this considering buying a machine polisher I'd advice doing a bit of research first ( search for junkmans videos on YouTube ) and possibly practicing on a scrap panel as this will allow you to get a feel for the machine as well as showing you what can be achieved with all the different pad and polish combinations.

ste01

Advanced Member
G Man said:
Well, because you can't
Well....you can. Took me no longer than when giving the panel e.g. Bonnet, a normal polish. It's about choosing the right polish as that's what really does the work. Maybe you had a small lapse in concentration and forgot to put the DA on the car so it didn't work ;)

G Man

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Well....you can. Took me no longer than when giving the panel e.g. Bonnet, a normal polish. It's about choosing the right polish as that's what really does the work. Maybe you had a small lapse in concentration and forgot to put the DA on the car so it didn't work ;)
Watch your tone buddy ;)

Budders_DC5

Advanced Member

And recently just took advantage of halfords 3 for 2 offer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Been living here 7 weeks now and only just managed to organise my garage!