Repairing Paint to Calipers

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Well here is my results for those interested.

I stripped all the paint off and started from scratch with new stickers etc. My calipers were pink and had serious lacquer peel.

Wish I had taken pictures through out the stages.

End result came out brill so happy with them they look like new (looks a lot better in person, rubbish iphone pic)

Benny-coupe

Advanced Member
excellent job , this is exactly how i'll be doing mine , new stickers and get new red base-coat , but i do like the taught of a yellow caliper with black brembo stickers , just because i love yellow

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Thanks :) they tidy the car up so much! ive got new wheels due soon and didnt want to put them over mank calipers.

Here is the red paint i used:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VHT-REAL-RED-BRAKE-CALIPER-DRUM-ROTOR-PAINT-SP731-/250799314304?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a64cdd580
Its a really nice bright flame red bang on with the original colour id say

And here is the clear coat i used:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VHT-CLEAR-GLOSS-BRAKE-CALIPER-DRUM-ROTOR-PAINT-SP730-/251057691062?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a743459b6

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I'm attempting to do this very soon, but my question is...... has anyone that has done theirs with the VHT paint linked above, only done the front calipers and not the rears? is the colour match "acceptable"

Reason I ask is the rears on mine are spotless, so if the VHT is a resonalble match and not an obvious difference then I shall go for it. Just trying to avoid doing all 4 but I understand if I do have to. Just thought Id ask. :)

Or has anyone used another red that's just as good.? links would be great.

James

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
James - look at my photos on my fb - I only refurbed the front as you said - rears were spotless and did not require anything done to them - I didn't really notice much difference as after a while - they get darker due to the brake dust anyway.. lol

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks for the guide guys, a great read, I have to do a complete brake swap soon (discs, pads and lines) so think it maybe worth doing the calipers at the same time, will be a first attempt at such a thing so fingers crossed I don't mess it up...

Any links to the brembo stickers though ?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Just to add to this...kinda like a follow up. I ended up respraying mine on my driveway, back in July 2014.

Not using high temp paint, and Not using hight tem laquer.... just £9 paint from a local motor factors that looked close, and some laquer I had left in the garage. I also stuck the stickers on over the top and didn't apply more laquer, ive just left them.... Its been fine for 2.5- 3 years :) The sticker hasn't got dirt around it, its not flaked, its still white and not yellow, the paint has a chip on it from where i let the wheel drop onto it whilst taking it off but oher than that its a brilliant red still.

For anyone looking to do this, don't get too hung up on VHT paint for the calipers, normal paint has a high enough capacity as it is :) prep it correctly, new undercoat etc and it should last for years.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Just to add to this...kinda like a follow up. I ended up respraying mine on my driveway, back in July 2014.

Not using high temp paint, and Not using hight tem laquer.... just £9 paint from a local motor factors that looked close, and some laquer I had left in the garage. I also stuck the stickers on over the top and didn't apply more laquer, ive just left them.... Its been fine for 2.5- 3 years :) The sticker hasn't got dirt around it, its not flaked, its still white and not yellow, the paint has a chip on it from where i let the wheel drop onto it whilst taking it off but oher than that its a brilliant red still.

For anyone looking to do this, don't get too hung up on VHT paint for the calipers, normal paint has a high enough capacity as it is :) prep it correctly, new undercoat etc and it should last for years.
Thanks for the heads up mate, I am a bit nervous about attempting this, how do you rub them down and prep them? grey primer ok? also can you advise as to how is best to cover up the parts you don't want to paint etc as I assume you remove or just cover the nipples and insides of the calipers etc? also how long does it take for them to dry normally and did you just hang them or something?

Sorry I am not the best as these sorts of things, will glaldly get my hands dirty but paint is something I am not good at in any way shape or form lol.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Don't be, its really easy to do. in my case, anything was better than what was on there. haha If I messed it up, id have learnt from my mistakes, sanded it off and started it again.

Yes, grey primer is fine. the full write up is in my build thread, (page 9 I believe?)

Just degrease them, tape them up, sand them down, undercoat, top coat X3 and a couple of coats of lacquer, let it dry properly, and then I stuck the sticker on last :)

Thin layers to avoid runs.... I wouldn't use a brush.

(Photobicket is being stupid...ill upload photos later. )

Untill then, they are at the bottem of this page on my build thread :) http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/32277-jimmers-dc5-the-botox-has-arrived/page-10