Repairing Paint to Calipers

Hancock

Advanced Member
i've done some searching for the correct colour code for the red brembo. All i could find is LP3G 'flash red', which apparently matches.

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
Got up early this morning and went about repairing the calipers

The had gone real nasty looking more pink than red

I followed the instructions given but instead of sandpaper i used some zero grade wire wool which worked a treat got in to all the nooks and crannys easily

I left the pads in just taped up everything very well

I gave each caliper 7coats of lacquer going over it with a heat gun each time

Really pleased with the results :D

Top Thread lads much appreciated =D>

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Hi, does anyone know where you can get the brembo stickers from.
I just got the car and the previous owner has put type-r on them!!!
Anyway, I may re-paint them and then laquer over the stickers.

Has anyone had to do this?
James.

jay82

Advanced Member

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Awsom mate, i just bought some off that guy, will hopefully get them asap.
I just need to get some red paint now that matches the Brembo caliper. Are they powder coated from factory or are they painted??

James.

garytc78

Advanced Member
Did anybody manage find out if that brembo paint code was correct and if it is where would I get a can from to spray my calipers?

Kinli

Advanced Member
Can someone point me to a store that sells the heat resistant lacquer and can ship abroad?

Thanks!

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
I just got mine in a local motor factors shop maybe you should have a look

Its not expensive i think i paid €10 a can

The brand i used was Wurth it seems to be good stuff

Hope this helps you mate

Kinli

Advanced Member
darquinn2006 said:
I just got mine in a local motor factors shop maybe you should have a look

Its not expensive i think i paid €10 a can

The brand i used was Wurth it seems to be good stuff

Hope this helps you mate
hi, can you give me a würth product code / link / or similar as I can't find any heat resistant lacquer in the Finnish würth catalog. The only heat resistant stuff (+650c) was the black spray..

Cheers!

Kinli

Advanced Member
Just did mine. very happy with the shine & color, but not too happy with the surface..it's not 100% smooth, I guess there was still some left from the autoglym engine cleaner stuff on the calipers even tho I tried to clean it off.. well, nevermind, the lacquer is only good for 288°c so it will probably wear off at the next trackday anyway.

garytc78

Advanced Member
I don't think you bought the right lacquer mate as the stuff i used was very smooth when applied,
did you wet sand the caliper first because the prep is the most important part of the refurb and
if it's not done correctly it will not look as good at the end.

Kinli

Advanced Member
garytc78 said:
I don't think you bought the right lacquer mate as the stuff i used was very smooth when applied,
did you wet sand the caliper first because the prep is the most important part of the refurb and
if it's not done correctly it will not look as good at the end.
It was the only high temp lacquer available here. the brand was VHT. And yeah, I did sand it etc. looked very smooth & nice but colorless when done with the prep. I used some random cleaner instead of the autoglym on the other caliper and that side ended up looking much better than the other side.

edit: what lacquer did you use? do you have a product code?

Grov

Banned
Read through the thread, and theres still no paint code, from, brembo, or anything on where to get it?

Any ideas?

Grov

Banned
Right, ive got my paint, laquer and decals sorted, so im gonna give this a go once ive got a day spare and the weather....

Im thinking it might be a better idea to take the calipers off, and blast them up properly and really get em clean, should do a better job.....

My mate at work said you don't have to bleed the whole system as such, you just need to clamp the hoses and only a tiny bit will trickle out? Is this true? If it's not hard ill take em off.........

LeeH

Advanced Member
You still need to bleed them, all that will do is stop you loosing you fluid.

Make sure you block the threads up. I got some plugs so the fluid didn't leak out when I was painting. They are 1/8" BSP thread.

A wire brush and a few grades of wet and dry will do.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Did one of mine the other day following the instructions on here and turned out pretty well for a quick (bodged) job i did!

My calipairs were in pretty bad shape, brembo logo half worn off, lots of chips and pretty much pink and matt.

Sanded down with some wet n dry 1000, applied new brembo decals and touched up the chips with some paint i got off fleabay which was almost the right colour... (LP3G - was a slightly deeper red than the rest of the caliper) but it was close enough.

Sprayed the whole thing in 4 coats of 'HIGH TEMPERATURE CLEAR LACQUER ' again off fleabay and it turned out pretty well almost in-spite of myself :shock: :lol:

It makes it stand out 10x more so than before with it being all red and shiny (opposed to pink and matte) so can't wait for good enough weather to do the passenger side one now!

Adam-f

Advanced Member
Is the High temp VHT Clear Lacquer any good ? i can get this local for £8 save ordering some from that company, but if the out come is better i'll spend the extra :)

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
Just bought some VHT red paint and lacquer along with some new decals. Will be attempting this weekend and ill post up the results :)