Subframe Rigid Collars

blueguy

Resident J's whore
just to add i installed these today, very easy and the subframe is now ridgid!!! it wont move.
Good product!
J
Notice any difference whilst driving James?

On a side note, I've managed to source a proper picture of the Spoon rigid collars, so thought I'd post it up for some forum reference.

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
I have not driven the car much mate as it needs a geo but I have been out for a quick spin and it does feel loads better. But iv done lots of mods including: hasport engine mounts, front, rear polyurethane bushes and front and rear cusco ARB and skunk2 rear LCA's

It defiantly feels more responsive on the handling front. A bit more vibration now also but not that bad.
J

paul hughes

Hi Guys,

There have only been two purchases of this product from this forum members, Is there any other questions that you guys need answering ?
:)

The spooon ones look as if they have to go in from the top and the bottom, which meens removing the whole subframe. This is not neccesarry with the Buddyclub ones, as they go in from the bottom only meaning there is half the metal and work and you save time as well installing them, they go through all the way from the underside.. it always lines up.

The wall thickness is tighter on the Buddyclub ones so they are a much better tight fit to keep the subframe in place if you remove it and replace it, We used them on our Time Attack car in 2008-2009 because we had the subframe off every other day.Even in pit garage between races. We won the Championship that year so that says enough.

We could not afford for the geo to be out because there was not enough time to change a diff or gearbox and then do all the geo again so thats the reason for this product.

we only have one set left on the shelf for you guys right now.
Hope that gives you guys a getter understanding of what we do and why we do it \:D/

GramsN1

I had the Spoon Rigid Collars installed on my DC5, as said above they do go in the top and bottom however removing the whole subframe completely is not necessary, but does require a partial removal as such.

We loosened off all the subframe bolts so the subframe sat down a few cm's (and used a transmission jack) and then removed each bolt one by one, installed the Rigid Collars and re-installing the bolt, then repeating for each bolt. Took around 15 minutes using a ramp.

Heres a picture of one of the bolts with the rigid collars go, with the gap between the two being where the subframe is.

Definately felt a difference with these installed on mine, bit more responsive and felt better taking weaving roads/corners.

Attachments

Rob.

Advanced Member
Was it really that long ago... Ha

Top bit of kit an easy enough to fit, and there's no chance of the subframe moving with these fitted...

Thumbs up from me..

Stoo

Whining.....
I cant see how any one can 'notice a difference' with these fitted at all.

I'm not trying to cause argument here, but let me explain my thoughts.

These simply 'lock' the subframe in to a position that is a constant..right?

Ie, if you fitted them and then re-set the geometry, If you were then to drop/move the subframe for any reason, when you re-bolt it back in to place, it will be in exactly the same place as before. Yeah?
So no need to re-set geometry after moving the subframe?

Just fitting these on their own has no immediate effect to the handling/geometry IMHO as the subframe doesn't move around once fitted and torqued correctly. I know this through taking mine on and off a few times and using witness marks on the bolts and subframe. No matter how hard I have driven the car, the subframe has never moved position.

Any increase in responsiveness has to simply be a placebo.

I'm not slating the product, I think they are a great idea.

paul hughes

They are not to stop the subframe from moving while driving Stoo, they are to make sure that it goes back in exactly the same pisition every time.
The lower arms are connected to the subframe so it will alter the camber and caster and toe if the subframe goes on in a different place and it could move as much as 3-4mm.

Stoo

Whining.....
I know this.
Hence my post...... and the doubt that anyone could 'feel' any difference after fitting these.

Stoo

Whining.....
Just out of interest, what's the price on the subframe locking collars at the moment?

Cheers, Stoo

The One

Hey lads,

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions for these. I have a laithe and there aint no way I'd pay for something that is easily made at home. [-(

dave h-b

Hey lads,

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions for these. I have a laithe and there aint no way I'd pay for something that is easily made at home. [-(
Got some sitting about in the shed i think, will have a look when get home and let you know. :)

ek4

Advanced Member
also available here

http://www.rigidcollar.com/index.php/choose-by-vehicle/honda.html

if someone was to make set of these id be very interested

The One

also available here

http://www.rigidcollar.com/index.php/choose-by-vehicle/honda.html

if someone was to make set of these id be very interested
I've gotta go abroad to work again for a month or so and the motor in my laithe packed in the other night but when I get it fixed and I have made a set for myself and make sure they fit I'll make some more and let ye all know.

viggen

Advanced Member
thread resurection

do the subfrace rigid collars improve handling?ive been given a set for my cl9.but dont want the hassle of taking the subframe off to fit.if they dont dont make any differance.

i did make my own steering rack collars and they worked really well.steering feels more solid.less play.only cost £15 to make

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Tegiwa now sell these for £45. I think they would be a good mod if your tracking the car a lot or like to take it apart!!