Suspension options

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I currently have Bilstein B16's on and I've been looking at running the Area castor top mounts. Having spoke to Rob at Area he says I need new springs, something to do with the Bilstein spring design not being compatible with something or other required for the top mount. Whatever it is, I'd need to run non standard Bilstein springs.

So now I'm left in a bit of a pickle, because while I could replace the springs with something from Eibach etc, I'd rather keep everything from the same manufacturer. Then I start wondering about increasing the spring rates etc. Then I started thinking 'ooh Intrax/Nitron' etc.

So what would you guys recommend? Keep the Bilsteins and change the springs? Or swap the suspension for something else entirely?

I'm happy with the B16's except for two minor annoyances - the fronts are inverted which makes adjustment a pain and the 'clicks' on the adjustment is not as defined as what it was on the Ohlins I had on my Evo IX and S2000.

The car is mainly used on track, the only road use being an occasional blast every few weeks to blow away cobwebs and the drive to the track and back.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Caster increase bushes not an easy option?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
How much do they give? I know the Area ones are like 6 degrees extra castor or something? They also give dynamic camber (I think it's called dynamic).

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
Caster is "dynamic camber" as your caster makes camber change under steering. The caster increase bushes don't give a lot, but when changing the topmounts it could be a good idea to also do the bushes.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I know Tom would probably have a go at you (as he did with me), but maybe look at the area motosport yellowspeed track coilovers.

I've been running them for a few weeks now and am pretty impressed. Much better then BC racing coilovers which I have used in the past.

As your car is mostly used on track I'd say they are perfect. They wont break the bank and give you a decent amount of caster and camber adjustability.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Kevin had a set and sent them back, he was far from impressed with them so I won't be going for a set.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Oh really? What was his issue with them?
He said there was a manufacturing defect and in addition they never felt as good as his previous Ohlins so lost confidence in the product.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Sounds like he might have been unlucky.

Id say a lot of coilovers would struggle to match up the Ohlins.

What is he running now?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member

What is he running now?
I have my reservations about coilovers built in Taiwan and Kevin's experience reaffirms that even further.

He's running Meister R GT1's and I think he rates them the same as Ohlins although he's been getting quite a bit of understeer now but that could be tyre related.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Only about 1 degree on caster increase bushes mate. Every little helps tho.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
To be honest I would fit the top mounts to your BIlstein's if you aren't going to use anything made in Taiwan. Unless you're willing to buy/use GT1's (you could flip the top mounts for caster) or spend a lot on Nitron coilovers then it's really your only option.

Fez

Advanced Member
If you change the springs to be stiffer you'd probably need the shocks to be re valved to take it, i know with my BC's i can go -/+ 2kg springs without needing to change. (Unless the bilsteins can do more?)

You could try and find a set of yellowspeed/bc/meister top mounts and see if they fit on your springs, so you can flip them, which will give you about 3° castor iirc, but if the area ones dont, i'd imagine they wouldn't either.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
FireDance said:
Why not use Ohlins? You said you liked them on your previous cars :)
Because there really isn't that much difference between B16 and Ohlins apart from an increase in cost. If I'm going to be changing then I want to change to something that's more track focussed.

Indi

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:

What is he running now?
Wasn't a big issue, the feet of the coilovers were slightly wrong width (Bad batch)but correct sized ones were ready to be provided from what I heard.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Yeah Im sure Rob would have been quick to resolve the issue.

I've been impressed with them to be honest. Leo was even impressed with the feel of them when he took my car out for a quick drive and he (as most of TGM) swears by the Bilsteins.

Indi

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Yeah Im sure Rob would have been quick to resolve the issue.

I've been impressed with them to be honest. Leo was even impressed with the feel of them when he took my car out for a quick drive and he (as most of TGM) swears by the Bilsteins.
Yeah I really liked my old set hence I've now got the inverted ones as I wanted to run higher spring rates and these are valved for that. Was about to get GT1's but after hearing a few sets having damper play within months one of them being on my mates EP3 I changed mind.