Suspension options

spooke

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
What sort of castor angle are people aiming for?
I guess to really notice a difference you'd want at least 3 degrees (bushes give 1 degree, swapped top mount 3 degrees+?), I think Area's go up to 9 degrees. But with everything it's possible to have "too much".

2ndy

Advanced Member
Il have to check my alignment sheet, it wasn't that high but it was green which is supposed to be a good thing

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Indi said:
Wasn't a big issue, the feet of the coilovers were slightly wrong width (Bad batch)but correct sized ones were ready to be provided from what I heard.
Correct, almost.

The feet, where the hub mounts, was too big. I had to use shims to get them fitted. Rob was very helpful, as he always is. He's a top bloke, but his hands were tied by the lack of parts from YSR.

I've since swapped to GT1's and they're good, if a little soft. I'm still talking to Jerrick re development and spring rates.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I'm running nearly 7 degrees of caster. I'm missing some initial turn in, but that's down to geometry.

When the suspension is loaded up, through fast corners, it's good.

2ndy

Advanced Member
I'm still trying to get a good set up done on mine, any alignment place I bring it to over here (N. Ireland) just out a factory set up which I'm pretty sure they use ep3 for.. going to be getting alignment done again very soon if anyone has any set up I could try for track? Last set up was pretty much neutral

Kevin85

Advanced Member
1mm toe out on the front, square rear. 2 deg rear camber, more on the front. 2+ whatever your steering arms will allow.

Bradley

I still haven't decided whether to get the b16's or the gt1's, what would people suggest changing? To get a good setup going?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'm still no closer to a decision.

After speaking to Kevin, GT1's are out of the question which only really leaves me with the likes of Intrax, Nitron etc.

Has anyone tried AST recently? I heard they have had some issues in the past but I know some race teams use them. They are based about 5 miles from my house.

http://www.ast-suspension.co.uk/shop/shockabsorbers/5100/ast-1-way-5100-honda-civic-ep3-detail

Not sure how adjustable their top mounts are.

This is the Intrax kit I was looking at:

http://en.intraxracing.nl/producten/hda/

Unless of course I just keep the B16's but then as someone mentioned I may need them re-valving.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Maybe a little simplicity. Where is the car lacking that you need more castor? Is there an issue you are working to fix, or just want more?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Maybe a little simplicity. Where is the car lacking that you need more castor? Is there an issue you are working to fix, or just want more?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
It's the fact I drove Kevin's out in Germany and I much preferred the way the car felt overall. It felt more racey, pointy, steering returned to centre nicer etc. It's hard to describe, but it was just better. Kevin tells me that it's mainly the caster mod that did that.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
What I said is that it might have something to do with the oem top mounts being used with the b16's.
Your steering was very vague, and more caster can only help. The main reason for caster is dynamic camber. It's one of those rare treats where you get get something for nothing.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
I'm still no closer to a decision.

After speaking to Kevin, GT1's are out of the question.
My issues at Rockingham were with initial turn in, and that will be sorted with geometry. It's still fast once it's loaded up.

I wasn't much slower than indi, and he's a handy driver on a048's. It was also capable of flat through eau rouge and blanchimont. Balls and brain wouldn't let me, although I got it down to a 5mph comfort lift.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Stop being a tart about keeping manufacturers the same on springs and shocks. Keep the b16's, buy the shorter springs and get some proper top mounts.

Done.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
My issues at Rockingham were with initial turn in, and that will be sorted with geometry. It's still fast once it's loaded up.

I wasn't much slower than indi, and he's a handy driver on a048's. It was also capable of flat through eau rouge and blanchimont. Balls and brain wouldn't let me, although I got it down to a 5mph comfort lift.
I too was also not much slower than Indi, I was pretty much keeping up with him in the afternoon. I'm not exactly slow on track, I just want it to feel a bit better. Tyre pressures did help massively!

The issues you had with your GT1 order and stories of play in dampers after a few months is enough to put me off them.

Stop being a tart about keeping manufacturers the same on springs and shocks. Keep the b16's, buy the shorter springs and get some proper top mounts.

Done.
I've just spoke to Tom, he is going to call Rob and find out exactly what I need and probably order Eibach springs for my B16s. I may get stiffer for the front and see how that goes.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Fez said:
If you change the springs to be stiffer you'd probably need the shocks to be re valved to take it, i know with my BC's i can go -/+ 2kg springs without needing to change. (Unless the bilsteins can do more?)

You could try and find a set of yellowspeed/bc/meister top mounts and see if they fit on your springs, so you can flip them, which will give you about 3° castor iirc, but if the area ones dont, i'd imagine they wouldn't either.
In what way to you flip them? Be interested in doing it for abit more castor for free

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
AST have offered me a good deal and they are only down the road, it's tempting. I need to speak to Tom first as he is meant to be touching base with Rob at Area.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
As 2ndy says,.. could someone explain a bit clearer what's involved with the "flipping" of the top mounts please? Can it be done on standard top mounts? I'm guessing not...but I haven't seen otherwise as yet.

any info, or even better photos would be good ?

Thanks

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I believe you can rotate the top mounts 90 degrees which increases castor at the expense of max camber.