Suspension thoughts UK roads

badeshi

Advanced Member
Just doing some standard over researching and window shopping over a potential new suspension setup.

Currently have HSD monopro coilovers, great cornering and grip but quite skittery on rough roads and crashy at times... also still a little low and scrubs it under hard cornering which is really annoying...

Contemplating OEM setup as I have heard this will be best handling for daily driving and hopefully more comfortable.
Only thing is it is quite expensive for full setup and it getting on for price of a bilstein b14 setup.
The bilstein b4 setup is cheaper and supposed to be OEM replacement but once springs and top mounts are added price ramps up again...

So - would the bilsteins be as well composed as the OEM setup and a noticeable improvement over the HSDs or should I just raise the HSDs and buy a air-intake or something else!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Raise it up, do HSD not have adjustable damping?

If not OEM and Spoon Springs seems to be a well recommended setup. Personally I'm using MeisterR CRD+ and they are really good on he road, not crash at all - although it really does depend on the roads surface.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I have the Bilstein B14 and love them. Spring rates are perfect with rear double the front, i.e approx 6kg/mm front and 12.5ish rear.
They are twice the oem spring rates, so obviously firmer but I never had oem originally. My car came with seized hks and I fitted and ran BC racing coilovers for 7 years but hated them!

I just need a full geo to unleash all potential now but they are nice and absorbant over bumps etc.

adam.

Advanced Member
For our roads, there is nothing better than Bilstein.

I had B14 on my previous car, and had B16 fitted to my DC5. They are phenomenal.

No skittishness, no crashing, just compliance and road holding.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
I've got the Spoon spring and OEM Damper combo on mine but i still find that pretty bumpy on uneven back roads.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
http://www.hsdcoilovers.com/hsd-hr-dc5-01-06.html

16 stage damping adjust apparently so worth trying first. Geo been checked? I have heard people say that a FRSU can make it a bit skittish at times, in a straight line at least. Not sure if there is any truth in this as each persons driving style is different, and I don't have FRSU myself so can't comment.

Suspension is my next purchase I think. B16 is on the list but I could stretch budget a little more so am wondering what other options there are?

Eibach Pro Street? Not sure how these would compare to B16. Tempted to really up the budget to Nitrons, but do I really need them (I know it's never a case of need, it's a case of want! ha ha).

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The thing I like about the Bilstein is that they use oem top mounts which has given me some comfort back.
My old BC's had metal pillowball top mounts and after a while they wore and started to knock over the slightest bumps. They also increased a lot of road feel vibration back through the steering wheel.
The rest of the car is polybushed and engine/gearbox mount inserts fitted so it is nice to have a "bit" of comfort again haha.

S'arrt

I had OEM shocks and Eibach springs for 2 years, since the teg was new to me. I went the Bilstein B14 route too.. It was recommended to me by TGM. I got a FRSU at the same time. Agree with everyone else here, they are awesome. No looking back, love them. Fantastic handling on our roads. If you're after comfort they are noticeably firmer than OEM - but not crashy.

Also, my experience with FRSU is not skittish. Just amazing turn-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S'arrt

Nice one! Might as well get them done to make the most of summer drives, rather than holding out to when winter is coming.

I considered the B16, decided against it as I didn't think I would make use of the adjustment. Have been on track and obviously on road - B14 is great on both. Haven't even changed the ride height out of the box.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
B16 all booked in at TGM for Friday 22nd ha ha. Money is over rated.

Might also throw on some sticky tyres as well if I can find people stocking AD08R in time.

*Update. AD08R (with RPB, was cheaper for some reason) ordered :)

Also means my OEM suspension with Eibach springs will be hitting the for sale forum and eBay soon.

adam.

Advanced Member
TonksyDC5 said:
B16 all booked in at TGM for Friday 22nd ha ha. Money is over rated.

Might also throw on some sticky tyres as well if I can find people stocking AD08R in time.

*Update. AD08R (with RPB, was cheaper for some reason) ordered :)

Also means my OEM suspension with Eibach springs will be hitting the for sale forum and eBay soon.
Exactly what I run. You'll be amazed.

I run mine at full-stiffness (that's what she said?) all the time, way more comfortable that way.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I too debated b14 vs b16, but for the additional cost, and the fact my older BC's were set fully soft and stayed that way for 7 years with countless trackdays meant the B14s won in the end!
Just need these ad08r to come back in stock, get a full geo then back out on track!

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
I ordered some today from TyreLeader, 215 45 17. Quotes "Free Delivery From 72hrs". Not sure if that means they are going to be dispatched in 72hrs or delivered in 72hrs. Keeping an eye on my email for updates.

Wasn't prompted with any delivery options.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
No way that I can see of tracking it on the website. Unless I'm being blind.

Did speak to Demon Tweaks before placing my order who said 2-3 weeks as they have over 40 sets on order apparently.