Suspension thoughts UK roads

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
OEM top mounts are used for both B14 and B16.

I got mine through TGM but I'm pretty sure Si at Hendy stocks them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Hobs said:
Hi Everyone,

I thinking of purchasing coil overs soon enough, from what i have seen in this tread these seem to be the best route to go for comfort and handling.

I have a few small question to ask to the people who have the B16 set up
1. Do these come with camber adjustable to mounts or use OEM top mounts ?
2. Where is the best place to purchase these that can also ship to Ireland ?
Just to put it out there I'm running MeisterR CRD+ and they give both comfort and handling, they come with adjustable top mounts - which you can also adjust for caster/camber. Check out my mini-review here,

http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/44514-meisterr-crd-dc5-road-track-review/

badeshi

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Just to put it out there I'm running MeisterR CRD+ and they give both comfort and handling, they come with adjustable top mounts - which you can also adjust for caster/camber. Check out my mini-review here,

http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/44514-meisterr-crd-dc5-road-track-review/
Nice review. Spanner in the works for me now... I was thinking OEM, then bilsteins b14 seem to be same price(ish) and Meister's are that bit cheaper again.. (I think)

I just need a noticeable improvement in comfort and rough road holding over the HSD monopro.
Tbh the cornering and steering feel is excellent just unsettled on rougher b and a roads which seem to be all around!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
badeshi said:
Nice review. Spanner in the works for me now... I was thinking OEM, then bilsteins b14 seem to be same price(ish) and Meister's are that bit cheaper again.. (I think)

I just need a noticeable improvement in comfort and rough road holding over the HSD monopro.
Tbh the cornering and steering feel is excellent just unsettled on rougher b and a roads which seem to be all around!

Sorry :D I've not experienced the Bilsteins, but I'm very happy with the MeisterR's. Personally I prefer the fact that Jerrick and Edwin communicate with people openly about their product, they also have a lot of experience with Honda's - not to say Bilstein didn't put as much if not more development into their range.

I also prefer the dual perch coilover that MeisterR and most of the other brands use vs the single perch that the Bilsteins use, which means to change ride height you are changing the spring preload, correct me if I'm wrong with this though.

badeshi

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Sorry :D I've not experienced the Bilsteins, but I'm very happy with the MeisterR's. Personally I prefer the fact that Jerrick and Edwin communicate with people openly about their product, they also have a lot of experience with Honda's - not to say Bilstein didn't put as much if not more development into their range.

I also prefer the dual perch coilover that MeisterR and most of the other brands use vs the single perch that the Bilsteins use, which means to change ride height you are changing the spring preload, correct me if I'm wrong with this though.
Yes the dual perch is a better design. You can change the height on single perch but really needs removing from car to do properly...I have become all too familiar with twisting the inside of the single perch to try and raise height without removing from car... Not easy...

I am just worried that the linear spring and 'coilover' characteristics of Meister's will not offer enough upgrade to warrant the cash and effort involved.
Maybe bilstein just has a more renowned name and I am a label whore!

spooke

Advanced Member
badeshi said:
Yes the dual perch is a better design. You can change the height on single perch but really needs removing from car to do properly...I have become all too familiar with twisting the inside of the single perch to try and raise height without removing from car... Not easy...

I am just worried that the linear spring and 'coilover' characteristics of Meister's will not offer enough upgrade to warrant the cash and effort involved.
Maybe bilstein just has a more renowned name and I am a label whore!

I think it will be worth it, I'm not a fan of HSD's - plus your rear coilover is single perch vs the dual perch that MeisterR offer (I know MeisterR aren't the only company to do this), so you should see a difference in handling along with the CRD damping system.

Personally I wouldn't buy into brand names.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The Bilstein's are so easy to adjust ride height. The spring also sits under the top mount so when you adjust the height, the damper expands or retracts. This doesn't change the spring preload because the car will simply be raised or lowered in height.
There is also only a 10-15mm adjustment range on the Bilstein's, even though there is about 2 inches of thread! I assume this ensures the damper still operates at maximum efficiency.
Also I like the fact the adjustment collars are on the outside. My previous BC's were a threaded body that the damper screws into, and after corroding it was impossible to adjust ride height again. They were scrapped.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
huge benefit of the bilsteins over any dual perch coilover is that the lock rings on the height adjustment will not come loose as there aren't any.

ilbumble

Quick question as I'm considering switching over from OEM setup to Bilstein B14/B16....how low does the ride height get?

I'm really trying to avoid lowering the car as I have Evo 7 OEM wheels on my car and due to their offset they're already too close to the arches on bumpy roads so I'm already at a stage where I need to either roll the front arches or change the wheels.

k0rcha

Has anyone gone from mugen sport suspension to bilstein b14/16 or the meister r crd+? I would like my car to be a little more comfortable over the Scottish roads but don't want to splurge all that money and then realise it doesn't change much!

I don't think I'll be changing too many rates or the ride height much so I guess the b14 would be good for me.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I lowered my Bilstein B14 to the lowest setting, they have a 10mm adjustment range and I felt they were best at the lowest setting.
The arch gap looks perfect in my opinion!

RichA

Advanced Member
Just to throw another option out there, I run KW V2 on mine and find them excellent on the road, I sometimes find they could do with being a touch firmer for track but that could be cured with firmer ARBs all round

badeshi

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
I lowered my Bilstein B14 to the lowest setting, they have a 10mm adjustment range and I felt they were best at the lowest setting.
The arch gap looks perfect in my opinion!

Looks great. What width wheels are you running? Any rubbing?

How do you rate b14 compliance without the adjustable dampening?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
They are just standard 7J and 215 tyres. I need to have the rear arches rolled because they rub with -0.7 camber and ET42 offset.
I think they are great, with the geo all set up properly and new AD08R it sticks to the road!