Thinking of selling up, will I regret it?

redcap

Advanced Member
I've been thinking about selling the DC5 a lot recently, there isn't much that takes my fancy but an S2000 or 350Z is probably the sort of route I'm thinking of going. Obviously these cars are going to be different to the DC5 to drive and running costs will probably be slightly higher. I'm leaning more towards the 350Z, any one care to share a view on whether it's worth changing as I find the DC5 very enjoyable to drive, will I be disappointed with the handling on these other cars is my main concern as that is what make the DC5 so much fun.

Zani

Advanced Member
My friend had a S2000, and in STOCK form I found it very slow and boring... but I'm sure with a few mods it would be a great drive.

With regards to the 350z there is a guy on here, who sold his DC5 for one, then shortly after sold it and bought another DC5!
- A couple of my friends have one. They are nice to drive, comfy and sound nice. But i'd only go for one of these if you want more of a cruiser.

I believe you would regret it. But that's my opinion.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Go and test drive a 350 for a better idea. I've not driven one so can't comment but from what I hear it's a heavy car and you feel it through the corners unlike the dc5 which is light and fun. If it were a 370 I'd be tempted but not a 350 personally

redcap

Advanced Member
I drove my friends 350z in Belgium but it was pretty brief and pretty much a straight drag up and down the road a few times, he wanted to hear his new exhaust from outside the car. It felt solid and a bit more refined than the DC5, as much as I fancy something a little more refined and more of a cruiser as I'm growing tired of feeling every stone on the road (If our roads were actually flat it would help a lot) but the DC5 makes you grin soooo much when you throw it round some corners! I also know how the car will react having had it for 6 years and an EP3 for 5 years before that. So I can happily push the car fairly hard, it will take some getting used to rear wheel drive although I'm told the 350z handling characteristics feel more like/similar to a fwd than most other rwd cars. Might have to ask him for another drive, he has since fitted Eibach Pro Kit and Competition Stage 1 Clutch and had a decat and remap so it might not be great to judge against a std car as it is modified.

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
i had a 350Z before i got my last ctr and i did love that car.

the power is big and lazy (i had the 300bhp 06 revup model) but a lot of fun. a different type of fun from the revvy nature of the k20, but then 7.5k rpm redline from a 3.5l v6 isnt bad either!!

the handling was superb, yes its a heavier car but that makes it feel solid and planted in the corners. some tail out action is to be expected however, and is huge amounts of fun!! :D on a dry day, halfway round a bend, just stamp on the throttle and let the tail hang out.. then the traction control kicks in and straightens you out again so you feel the hero ;)

just not on during a downpour whilst entering the m4.. touched the throttle halfway round the slip road and entered the motorway sideways! traction control did little to help but i recovered it. probably looked quite spectacular from outside the car

the real downer is the traction control.. its rubbish! it just kills the power. you try and have a spirited getaway off the traffic lights and BAM! your head just hit the windscreen as its kicked in and killed all your power. very basic system. normally had it turned off for things like that. just an on/off button, no codes to worry about heh.

brakes are superb! big brembos with eba/s (electronic brake assist/system) nearly head butted the windscreen then too first time i braked leaving the forecourt

the GT pack is lovely. heated full leather seats, decent bose stereo system and the sat nav is quality. was nice to leave that running as it gave you a great view of the road ahead.

i do miss that car but i got it just before the recession hit and 3yrs later no one would buy a 3.5l v6 in the top tax band.. its value just died. so i got rid as it was just costing me money sitting on the driveway. funnily enough its worth exactly the same now as it was 6 years ago when i had it

redcap

Advanced Member
Good review there SuperFLY! Thanks for the opinions! I did look at the 370z too but I can't spend £20k on a car right now I'm looking at closer to 8-10k realistically.

I was also considering waiting till prices on the BRZ and GT86 come down a bit, they look good if a little under powered?

coolerking

Advanced Member
Yeah i think there underpowered to be fair, decent inside and fun to drive but imo wouldnt be long before wanting more power,

I honestly think you'll regret it mate, what about an mk5 golf gti? Nicely finished inside or even a r32?

redcap

Advanced Member
I'm really looking for a Coupe, I don't want a Hot hatch tbh, I liked my EP3 but it's an ugly car. I even had some thoughts about 3 Series BMW's but not M3's. As I said there isn't really much (that I could afford) that makes me think I want one of them.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Don't do it. Some many people have U-turned and come back to the fold again.

I have both a DC5 and an S2000 and they are very different beasts.

cfoster

Advanced Member
I've had an S2k, 2 350z's and on my third DC5, all of them great cars in different ways. Personally I would disregard the S2K. I did like it but very small inside, a bit of a handful in the wet, and just as much fun as a DC5. I loved both my 350z's, had a kuro black and an azure blue one, great fun to drive, a lot quieter inside than a DC5 and tbh a little more comfortable to drive, there is also a great 350z forum as well. Of the 3 though taking into respect cost to run, reliability, fun, practicality etc DC5's all day long. Now i've said that I think i'm actually selling my DC5 soon, i bought this one as a runabout but selling my merc as well and resorting to one car! No doubt i'll be back though!

redcap

Advanced Member
Interesting views from all, perhaps it's no surprise the general view is to stick with the DC5 as this is a DC5 forum. Has anyone got any suggestions for other cars to consider with the following criteria in mind. Coupe/fastback, reliable, great handling, decent acceleration, 2 or 4 seats doesn't matter, under 10k, 7 years old maximum and decent servicing/ownership costs.

I think we are looking at a short list no?

Modmedia

Advanced Member
If you are trying so hard to find another car then does that not show that the DC5 is great ;)

_BILLY_EK9_

Advanced Member
I was thinking the only other cars after the dc5 would be a R32 golf or gt4 yellow 350zx

but I will have to try a s2k 1st