Throttle Body??? edit: TB coolant bypass??

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Just wondering what help upgradnig a throttle body would do? imporve the power? faster response? or no real difference at all, just another thing to add to your spec list ;) Also on page 2 of this thread i have added another question with regard bypassing the coolant from the TB. Dono if this is how i go about it but rather than starting a new thread just edited this one!

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
Re: Throttle Body???

I've read on here that it's a good mod if you modify the RBC inlet where the TB bolts to it, otherwise there is not much point in having a bigger TB with the same size hole. Throttle response always improves though

celox performance

Advanced Member

I didn't find any benefit with mine. A couple of extra bhp but I didn't notice any difference at all 'through the seat of my pants'.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member

No Point in wasting money on a larger TB... if you have not got some major modifications on and in the engine !

Many in fact 'over' throttle body their cars.... thus waste money.

You only have to look at what TB's are run on BTTC cars... which in fact are smaller than our OEM unit !

Just my thoughts

Mike

TyperItr

Advanced Member

Ya i was thinking that also, i cant see how it could improve the performance really. Would it knock a tenth of a second off a quater mile, or add anything on a dyno chart, with just bolt on mods.

We do loads of TB mods, The biggest mistake most poople make is just buying an RBC and a so called larger TB ,that in reality is a bored out STD one that retains the same butterfly appature, These will not make much difference as stated.

We produce a TRUE 70mm bore and butterfly TB (which takes ALL the std Honda gubbins, and combined with our Specially ported and bored out RBC produces as much as 16bhp on a std cam engine,as tested many times on customers cars, including some on this forum. (obviously the correct air filter kit must be used).Although some other air filter kits have produced within 3bhp of our own kit recently.

we have done one last week and got 250bhp (260 on TDi).cos their dyno reads 10bhp up our recently calibrated one.

regards,
Paul,

TyperItr

Advanced Member

Hi Paul,
I have a standard RBC intake is the one you supply a RBC that has been bored out? I am thinking at the moment me getting a throttel body would be totaly usless to enhancing the performance of my car. I have a Gruppem and RBC. Also do you know when your prototype induction kit mite be available for sale?

Yes,
The ones we supply for our TBs are Bored out.

It is pointless putting a 70mm TB on a STD RBC.

Our induction kits will be in production before christmas.

Regards,
Paul,

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe

I was going to start on my own thread but being doing some searching on so called 70mm TB's...

how much bhp are you looking at realistically from an RBC inlet and mani combo, to a mani with 70mm RBC and 70mm TB? How much will the TB make?

And as Mike (MJ Type-R) says, is it really worth the initial investment down the 70mm route if I'm not going for in engine mods at the time being? I was thinking going down there to "prep" it so to speak, but is it worth the extra?

Plus, Paul, I think I asked you again awhile back, but how much are the 70mm RBC's you do? I take it all types of 70mm TB's will work with it?

I've read somewhere, that Spoon's 2nd gen ones are proper 70mm designs now? If all this is worth it, I'd be happy to get a decent 70mm one more on the value price per buck than a purist high end 70mm TB as not looking to chase bhp :)

VT-Doo

RushDoo

Paul,

What are your prices for your ported RBC manifold, 70mm throttle body and induction kit.
Can you break the prices down please?

Thanks,

benny

Advanced Member

yes would really be interested in the throttle body prices paul, ive got kpro, rbc and a aem v2, would like a price includin rolling road set up please! (also location)

Benny,
We are in Leyland, near Preston.

Give us a call for a quote or even come down for a chat (but call to check I am in), We will have to Modify your own RBC unless it is new.This will take half a day.remove and refit RBC is around 3 hours.Mapping is around 2-3 hours.
We will need the car for two days.
call me 01772 299820.
Regards,
Paul,

rodney

Advanced Member

Soooo..

Is a potted RBC and true 70mm TB really worth it,apart from BC is there any evidence that this setup wee's on a standard RBC matched with a OEM TB?

Paul, a couple of people have asked for a price for the modified TB/RBC,I'm confused as to why you don't advertise the products on here as I'm sure they would prove popular.

Also..

Tegiwa have 9 RBC pcs on eBay, why aren't they advertising them here? surley at,what looks to be an attractive price they would also sell here. Seems odd to me?

Andy.

Advanced Member

rodney said:
Tegiwa have 9 RBC pcs on eBay, why aren't they advertising them here? surley at,what looks to be an attractive price they would also sell here. Seems odd to me?
It has been mentioned on here mate. Not exactly shouted about, true, but Tegiwa did say this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30611&p=255982#p255982

When the time comes, i know where i'm going for one.

blueguy

Resident J's whore

Paul has posted up prices before about the RBC / TB combo when there was a various debates about how useful a larger TB is (a while ago before this thread). It was very relevant to those threads at the time so I can see why he didn't post up a 'standalone' sales post.

Combine this with the recent-ish (and very well managed) RBC group buy from that chap in the States, I can see why Paul has not re-advertised his engineered RBC and TB. I'm not saying this is good or bad but there seems to be a lot more people looking for low cost goods as opposed to the old days when you had people like Andyd who kitted out their whole car with brand new Mugen gear inside and out. Obviously, a standard RBC with TB adapter plate is the cheapest option.

People who are serious about looking for that little bit extra should in all honesty contact tuners/garages directly and research into past threads where products (and prices) like Buddy clubs modified RBC / TB combo have been covered before.

rodney

Advanced Member

blueguy said:
Paul has posted up prices before about the RBC / TB combo when there was a various debates about how useful a larger TB is (a while ago before this thread). It was very relevant to those threads at the time so I can see why he didn't post up a 'standalone' sales post.

Combine this with the recent-ish (and very well managed) RBC group buy from that chap in the States, I can see why Paul has not re-advertised his engineered RBC and TB. I'm not saying this is good or bad but there seems to be a lot more people looking for low cost goods as opposed to the old days when you had people like Andyd who kitted out their whole car with brand new Mugen gear inside and out. Obviously, a standard RBC with TB adapter plate is the cheapest option.

People who are serious about looking for that little bit extra should in all honesty contact tuners/garages directly and research into past threads where products (and prices) like Buddy clubs modified RBC / TB combo have been covered before.
:?

I assume the bulk of that isn't aimed at me,I did search ta.

I won't be lining BC's pockets after some very poor customer service,keen to take your money,not so when you would like to return an item and the reason it was no longer required/fitted was because of an error on their side i.e the goods not leaving goods outwards and I needed it that day.Return they say,yes,and be bent over for a 25% restocking fee!!!!!

I'm not asking what's cheaper,I've asked if it warrants the extra £250 or so. I've spoken to Tom today and he thinks not.

Both Tegiwa and BC must be doing very well for themselves if they can afford not to advertise (with a for sale thread) an item that would generate a lot of interest.

Call me scepital but why would tegiwa shy away from selling them to a forum where people obviously know what they're talking about.

Anyway,for my needs I'm going standard RBC with OEM TB.

blueguy

Resident J's whore

rodney said:
:?

I assume the bulk of that isn't aimed at me,I did search ta.
Sorry mate, this wasn't aimed at you or meant to offend. If it did I apologise.
I just remember the last time this topic was hot before and Paul's efforts at selling the Buddy Club option didn't appear to generate huge interest (on the forum that is, privately I have no idea) as there was always the standard RBC option from the States.
I wasn't inferring that you were looking for the cheaper option. Merely that I would guess the modded RBC might not have been advertised because last time there was limited interest probably due to the standard one from the states being a lot cheaper.

As for why Tegiwa are not advertising I totally agree with you, it doesn't make sense, it's a good price.

I'm glad you've had a chat with Tom and decided what's best for you though (I couldn't think of a better person) and again, sorry if I did offend you that's not my game. It definitely wasn't intended :-# .

rodney

Advanced Member

8)

Sorry mate,been a long day and my nicotette patch isn't up to the job!

Wise words indeed, I guess if your in a position to do so then a ported RBC with true 70mm TB can do no harm in ones quest.

:xcheers:

TyperItr

Advanced Member

I‘m going to hijack my own thread here if such a thing is possible. It is related to the Throttle body however. Has anybody don‘t a throttle body coolant bypass? I am considering doing this now as when I put my hand on the tb it is very hot these days and the coolant is only heating it further. I believe the joins the TB down at the bottom as I was looking the other day to see where to remove the pipes from can anybody confirm? Another thing I noticed while searching around that area was radiator pipe, I have an Sfs intake pipe and the 2 pipes are pushing agents each other. The Rad pipe was very very hot and actually heating up the intake pipe (the intake pipe was properly hot). I think I am going to insulate this Rad pipe and stop the heat transferring to the intake pipe. Has anybody else noticed this?

I recon insulating this rad pipe and taking the coolant from the TB could reduce the intake temperature by a few degrees. Anybody have any opinions / experience on this matter?

Mark_teg

Staff member

TyperItr said:
I‘m going to hijack my own thread here if such a thing is possible. It is related to the Throttle body however. Has anybody don‘t a throttle body coolant bypass? I am considering doing this now as when I put my hand on the tb it is very hot these days and the coolant is only heating it further. I believe the joins the TB down at the bottom as I was looking the other day to see where to remove the pipes from can anybody confirm? Another thing I noticed while searching around that area was radiator pipe, I have an Sfs intake pipe and the 2 pipes are pushing agents each other. The Rad pipe was very very hot and actually heating up the intake pipe (the intake pipe was properly hot). I think I am going to insulate this Rad pipe and stop the heat transferring to the intake pipe. Has anybody else noticed this?

I recon insulating this rad pipe and taking the coolant from the TB could reduce the intake temperature by a few degrees. Anybody have any opinions / experience on this matter?
IMO I dont think the coolant bypass mod is worth it. Also, it was designed by Honda with it there and on my car, that's where it'll stay :wink:
However, you have a very valid point with the coolant and induction hose 'hugging' each other and I was thinking the same while under the bonnet the other day. Maybe wrapping one of them in that heat barrier foil stuff would help :idea: Looks a bit untidy though :-k
On one of the other threads somebody has a coolant hose which takes a slightly different route but he's using it with an AEM, not sure if it will benefit the normal induction route :xconfused:
HTH a tad