Torque GT

beppe786

Beppe
i think crazylegs car had a very hard life and not serviced regularly. timing chain really doesn't need to be changed until you heard the tensioner noise when it maxed out.. ive had an ep3 near 200k on orgainal chain track and racing shouldn't overally shorten the life of it..

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Beppe said:
i think crazylegs car had a very hard life and not serviced regularly. timing chain really doesn't need to be changed until you heard the tensioner noise when it maxed out.. ive had an ep3 near 200k on orgainal chain track and racing shouldn't overally shorten the life of it..
It would certainly appear that way.

The car actually goes very well and is very smooth, luckily they're a very good durable engine but things could have gone awry for me with this car very easily.

Regarding the chain, I was strongly advised to get this done in the event that it did go as I didn't have the funds to source a replacement engine had it gone on me.

Rom

Advanced Member
These are just random comments, not aimed at you in particular Crazylegs, as others have said the same thing.

Generally, any warranty will cover a time period. For that time period, the car must be fit for purpose.
So in this case, the car should be road worthy for 3 months.

The tyres, brakes, etc should last 3 months.

I work for VW. The used car policy, direct from VW, tyres must have 3mm. That's not a lot really, but that's VWs standard.
So generally, sales cars, won't have tyres replaced unless they are 3mm or less. Or cut etc.

Brake pads are more subjective. As different models start with different thicknesses etc. And every tech estimates the % differently.
But I unless they went metal to metal in that time, they were fine.
Pads are never part of a service. They could be 80% worn, and still cover 5000 miles. Legal limit is 1.5mm.

There is no real way of checking much of a car. I mean unless it's making noises, or something not working.
You can't tell the internal condition of engines and boxes.
Everything works up until the point it breaks. There is a defining moment, when something changes from working, to broken. Or from not noisy to noisy. If that noise can't be picked up, then it goes on until it gets bad enough that it is noticed.

No one knows a shock will leak until there is already sign if it leaking.
No one knows a head gasket will go, until it shows signs. (unless it's a rover k series haha).

In summary, I've worked for multiple manufacturers, who will all send out much much newer cars, with worn pads and discs. Worn tyres, it's a used car, as long as it's fit for purpose. I don't mean they never get changed, they do. But for example, half worn pads will never get changed!

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I can see your point Crazylegs, where you feel that certain things that you have had to replace in a certain time period of owning the car you feel should of been done by Torque GT.

However, I really do not feel you can use Brake pads in this. It is a wear and tear item and is never covered under warranty and also something easy to check your self before buying. I NEVER buy a car without checking the brakes first and would put this into negotiation before buying the car.

If you had fully enquired about the Warranty given by Torque GT, it is for 3 months and covers your Engine and Gearbox.

Granted, as i have already mentioned, Torque GT paid for my engine mount. But I had had the car for 5 days, clearly would not of gone in my ownership but I had it checked by TGM and they were happy to pay TGM to do the work.

I called Darren 8 months after having my car, I had a whine with my gearbox which needed repairing by TGM. It was out of warranty and although I knew the noise had been there since ownership I had no way of proving it and it was out of my warranty. All seems fair to me? Although it cost me alot I could not expect Torque GT to paid for this based on the fact it was now 5 months out of my warranty. I did call and ask to check. HOWEVER, at no point were they unhelpful.

I am sorry you have had all these costly repairs required for your car, I can sympathise as I have forked out alot for mine in the first 12 months, more than I can afford and I am only just getting back on track, but I do feel that some of your points, like brake pads and suspension do come under wear and tear, not covered in the initial warranty and part of it is on your self. As is some of mine.

I would like to add to this though, mine was not a fresh import.

Hope im not upsetting anyone here!

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
If a car goes for a full service they should check the brakes and advise they are changed. Every garage does that. So of it was me I would be a bit annoyed if they had gone to the expense of fitting new tyres and not the pads, sounds a bit odd to me, or even to not say anything?

I thought torque GT and other import companies put the car on the ramps and give it a full 100 point check or what ever they do?! Especially an imported car that was probably won at auction in a foreign country?

Rom

Advanced Member
Torque don't service the cars to my knowledge. Unless asked to, and then it would be an extra cost.

They are in the business of importing cars for sale. The cars are sold as is. Some have history with them, some don't. And any history should be taken with a pinch of salt, it's in a foreign language, for a foreign country.

On a service, yes, brake are checked. Visually, you will assess the condition, and wear level. But brakes are subjective. I've seen people (I'm talking average public here) kill brakes on a little car, in 20k miles. Needing discs and pads.
Yet see the same car last 40k and need just pads.

80% pads will last me a year at least. They may last someone else a couple of months.

If they have fitted tyres, I'd would imagine they had little choice. So we're either badly worn on edges, or were almost illegal.

Bottom line. They are running a business. If massive car dealerships aren't changing pads at 60% or 70%, tyres at just over 3mm. And they offer 12 months usually in used cars. How can you expect Torque too.
Essentially, your buying a used car, they are just facilitating the deal. Finding the car, getting it shipped over, legal etc.
They are not restoring cars.
I would hazard a guess, they are making (before overheads, I just mean the difference between what the car costs, and what they sell it for) around 1k - 2k on an average dc5 (import direct) Once you take out overheads, it will be a lot less. There simply isn't the margin to be fully servicing and replacing any borderline parts.

Overall, I've been happy with the service Darren has given me.
Under warranty, I've had a shock and a set of buddyclub rcas.
I also had 4 new tyres, though that was arranged before hand, and I made sure I paid the difference to have tyres of my choosing, over they cost they were paying for the Toyos.

I don't think Torque advertise selling cars that have just had a full service? But I certainly knew they didn't service them before I bought mine. Though mine was an import direct, not a stock car. Maybe they differ.

What was yours Crazylegs?

Rob R

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Firstly, it‘s none of your business what I do with my car and when I fix it.
But you feel the need to bore the rest of the internet and start a thread slagging off a reputable company on the internet saying they sold you a shed and wouldn't replace your brake pads after you've probably completed 8 stages of Touge Battle. No wonder this country's in the Jeremy Kyle state of affairs it is!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Rob R said:
But you feel the need to bore the rest of the internet and start a thread slagging off a reputable company on the internet saying they sold you a shed and wouldn't replace your brake pads after you've probably completed 8 stages of Touge Battle. No wonder this country's in the Jeremy Kyle state of affairs it is!
Mod edit...

crazylegs, i suggest you stop replying tonight or you'll be taking a forum holiday

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
NO TRADER CAN SELL A CAR AS "SOLD AS SEEN" it's illegal.

I know this from my best mate who bought one and blew up. The garage said it's sold as seen in an email and trading standards did them.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Or "sold as is"

My 2 pence worth - I'd be gutted if I spent all that money and ended up spending 25% of the cars worth getting it to a working standard.

End of the day any car dealership is out to make the maximum amount of money from the customer for the least work. Wether it be torque GT or VW or a garage down the road

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
I think you have misunderstood what Rom meant by sold as is. What he means is, they don't do them up when they get here. They import them and do what's necessary.

Rom

Advanced Member
Phelpo711 said:
NO TRADER CAN SELL A CAR AS "SOLD AS SEEN" it's illegal.

I know this from my best mate who bought one and blew up. The garage said it's sold as seen in an email and trading standards did them.

I said sold as is. I meant they are sold as they are bought from Japan. Bar any illegal / dangerous items. So they dont service them. They dont buy them as a project, to do up, and sell as the best DC5 in the world for the same price.

They are offering a warranty. So you know full well its not sold as seen. Wear and tear items are not covered. Even Manufacturers exclude brake pads from warranty after a certain period.
So a 3 year warranty, will not cover pads for 3 years, even if the car has done 5000 miles. Thats life.

Torque import cars and sell them. Some cars turn out to be not as good as others. Again, thats life. Cars break.

If you havent noticed an issue in 3 months of ownership. How are Torque meant to notice it before they sell it to you ?!

Edit : 2 replies in the time i started replying (and wandered off and came back)

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Yeah but if things break - costly things - they have a legal obligation to fix them standard or not within a time frame. Otherwise before they buy them thru should thoroughly check them before they buy them.

If torque GT have followed the letter of the law then fair play, and unfortunately it is bad luck.

That's probably why a lot of people insist on a standard import

Rom

Advanced Member
Have i missed the part where something broke, in the warranty, and Torque said unlucky ?

As far as i know, this has all happened after the initial 3 months. Id love to know how you can thoroughly check a car, and know something will break in 5 months ?
I would really love this talent. As a Diag Tech, it would help me no end.

Ill say it again...

Rom said:
If you havent noticed an issue in 3 months of ownership. How are Torque meant to notice it before they sell it to you ?!
The day before a cambelt snaps, was it working ? Or was it broken ? It may have been noisy, it may not have been. How do you tell ?
The day you notice a wheel bearing noise. Why didnt you notice the day before ? It must have been broken right ?

Hell, by your logic Phelpo, cars would never have a broken part, as they would all be diagnosed and replaced months before they ever broke. Sounds a lot like Minority Report.

Brake pads wearing out, is not something breaking. Though i fully agree they should have enough (sensible) use to last 3-6 months say.

I dont know the law, so i wont quote it. I do know your at least partially right. They are obligated to fix defects. The time frame im not sure if its the warranty they offer, or if the law states longer.
I think the wording is something like 'fit for purpose'. But as i said, thats not my area of expertise.

I think a lot of people, yourself included, arent seeing this from a logical view. Maybe your not a car person, which there is nothing wrong with. You just seem to thing you can have one look over a car, and know nothing will break for x amount of time.
Thats not how cars work. Ive changed faulty parts, on brand new cars, not even registered yet.
If i had a £1 for every car that has come back with a job card, that reads 'ever since you did x on my car, x doesnt work' id have a lot more parts on my Teg!
I can do a full diag, everything is fine, no codes, no issues, but tomorrow, it can have a parts failure, and throw a code on. Have i not done my job ? If i check a car on a given day, all i can do is make sure its fine at that time. That the wear and tear items have enough life to see them to the next service.

dotty

Advanced Member
From what I can see , there's no issue with a car supplied, aftermarket coilovers don't come with a warranty that's worthy anyway as they tend to have a "for race use only" but the south mimms crew will fit them for baller means. Tyres and brakes are upgraded or replaced to the owners preference, it's unfortunate that some niggles have occurred but I seem to remember crazy legs talking about a noisy timing chain for months, without getting it replaced , thankfully nothing happened engine wise, but a lesson can be learned - if in doubt get it checked out, if it's slipping teeth then dust off your wallet and get it sorted.

On a side note , crazy legs I have read the edited reply and that sort of a response won't be tolerated on here , luckily for you a more lenient moderator read it before me because I would have given you an immediate ban for that.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Have i missed the part where something broke, in the warranty, and Torque said unlucky ?

As far as i know, this has all happened after the initial 3 months. Id love to know how you can thoroughly check a car, and know something will break in 5 months ?
I would really love this talent. As a Diag Tech, it would help me no end.

Ill say it again...

The day before a cambelt snaps, was it working ? Or was it broken ? It may have been noisy, it may not have been. How do you tell ?
The day you notice a wheel bearing noise. Why didnt you notice the day before ? It must have been broken right ?

Hell, by your logic Phelpo, cars would never have a broken part, as they would all be diagnosed and replaced months before they ever broke. Sounds a lot like Minority Report.

Brake pads wearing out, is not something breaking. Though i fully agree they should have enough (sensible) use to last 3-6 months say.
Rom,

That is why I said if they break in the warrenty they should fix them, otherwise unlucky. You are putting words in my mouth.

I also never said torque said the word "unlucky". But I'm sure being a loyal tech for VW you will know all this.

I'm sure if your car was a fresh import and it broke in a few months you would be fuming.

A cam belt wears, for example. It cracks, and before any belt snaps they have a certain shine to it.

Do Torque advertise a car and say "we have no idea how hard this car has been driven in japan" before they sell it?

As for the brake pads, I never said they broke. I was talking about the tein coil over.

All pads wear obviously. But I insisted when I bought mine they were changed / money knocked off and they agreed.

I'm not picking sides, but personally I think you are obviously very much in the torque bandwagon and are not seeing the point I'm trying to make

Put yourself in his shoes

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
dotty said:
From what I can see , there's no issue with a car supplied, aftermarket coilovers don't come with a warranty that's worthy anyway as they tend to have a "for race use only" but the south mimms crew will fit them for baller means. Tyres and brakes are upgraded or replaced to the owners preference, it's unfortunate that some niggles have occurred but I seem to remember crazy legs talking about a noisy timing chain for months, without getting it replaced , thankfully nothing happened engine wise, but a lesson can be learned - if in doubt get it checked out, if it's slipping teeth then dust off your wallet and get it sorted.

On a side note , crazy legs I have read the edited reply and that sort of a response won't be tolerated on here , luckily for you a more lenient moderator read it before me because I would have given you an immediate ban for that.
If they are bought with the car though? As said previously I'm not picking sides

Rom

Advanced Member
To be honest, ive just picked up bits and bobs, so Ill apologise now if ive taken something ive read and attributed it to you.

Moving on, i actually bought a fresh import from Torque in June. It was not perfect, so im not on Torques side at all. Im just trying to offer the perspective of someone who works on cars for a living.

Mine had a leaking shock, literally drove home, put it on the ramp, and it was leaking. Id have failed it on MOT. But, Torque dont do the MOT, and no one in infallible, i miss things sometimes.
There was also a balljoint boot split. They replaced the shock, and we agreed on a set of Buddyclub RCAs, as the standard joints come with the hub.

So was i happy i bought a car and it had issues ? No
Was i happy with the way Darren dealt with it ? Yes.

My pads are low, but not low enough to worry. Theres a few other boots perishing, arb etc. But its an old car, probably on original parts mostly.