Two piece discs

martinj46

Advanced Member
Thanks for that Max. :)

I spoke to Paul about these discs this morning, and now have a set on the way. I'll see how I get on with them, hopefully better than the last set of MTEC discs.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Just to add another flavour into the mix, I was at Autosport International and picked up a Compbrake catalogue, they offer a 330x28 two piece disc, 4piston 'pro race 1 calipers', Hawk pads and braided front lines for £999.99.

Is this an upgrade in size over the oe discs? I'm so new to Honda I don't even know the oe size off the top of my head.

All in all it looks like a good set up, the calipers are 2kg a piece and replacement discs are £148 each. Pads are £85 for Hawk HP+.

I'm not sure what compound of Hawk pads come in the kit, but I'm sure they can be upgraded if they're not satisfactory and offset the price.

I feel like a salesman, I'm not. I just want good things. Good things make me happy. I like happy. Happy is good. That's a full circle of goodness and happiness. [/nomorecoffee]

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
Just to add another flavour into the mix, I was at Autosport International and picked up a Compbrake catalogue, they offer a 330x28 two piece disc, 4piston 'pro race 1 calipers', Hawk pads and braided front lines for £999.99.

Is this an upgrade in size over the oe discs? I'm so new to Honda I don't even know the oe size off the top of my head.

All in all it looks like a good set up, the calipers are 2kg a piece and replacement discs are £148 each. Pads are £85 for Hawk HP+.

I'm not sure what compound of Hawk pads come in the kit, but I'm sure they can be upgraded if they're not satisfactory and offset the price.

I feel like a salesman, I'm not. I just want good things. Good things make me happy. I like happy. Happy is good. That's a full circle of goodness and happiness. [/nomorecoffee]
Good price that.

OEM discs are 300mm, so this is a big brake kit - most big brake kits are 330mm.

Hawk HP+ are an equivalent to DS2500 pads so not a bad pad by any means. One thing to make sure of is pad availability, but i'm sure if you can get a hawk pad in that fitment then you'll get others.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
It seems them prices are +VAT, but still, the oe brembos are worth a few coins so all in all it's a pretty good price imo.

In the catalogue they list HP+ as their most track orientated pad that will fit them calipers, but I'm sure they would be able to make a higher spec Hawk pad if you ever needed more.

I've no first hand experience, but from what I've been reading the Hawk pads are 'better' than the 2500's.

paul hughes

Just a heads up Guys for anyone wanting to enjoy a set of our SPD two piece discs and Hawk pads, as of today we only have TWO sets left in stock (currently £488+vat),

the next batch will be three months and they will be going up by around £50 a set, depending on the currency exchange rate at the time.

so chop chop...and Stop Stop !!, 01772 299820.

:)

p.s. DC5 don't need 330mm discs, 300mm is more than enough if you buy non Chinese made good quality from a reputable racing company, and they fit under OEM wheels as well :)

and while I am at it replacement 300x28 rotors are currently £149. only at SPD.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Ordered a set last night. xthumbup

One thing.. Japshop lists the discs as 300x25, but you've typed replacement discs are 300x28. I presume that's a typo, but wanted to make sure incase there were options I wasn't aware of.

To be honest I don't know what the tolerance for disc width is with the Brembo's, my teg hasn't turned a wheel since importing and MOT. It's resting in the workshop with no suspension or fuel tank etc being slowly undersealed. I say slowly because it's effing cold in there and I don't like the cold unless I'm on a snowboard.

paul hughes

Hey, Kevin and Martin,

don't forget to report your views on our replacement disc kits ?

give your opinion ? Good or Bad ?

:)

Paul,

martinj46

Advanced Member
Mine have been on for a while now and they seem decent. Had a trackday yesterday at oulton park and they were faultless! No fade at all. I'll get a proper review in my build thread soon, but I'd have no problems recommending these discs

integraleo

Advanced Member
I've been looking at ksport 8 pot calipers with 330mm discs,braided lines for £899!!! Add in pads they have several options but best value for money was ebc blue stuff pads at around 100 quid I think.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
My dc5 isn't currently on the road, so I haven't driven with them yet.

I've never had two piece discs, is it normal for the mounting hardware to not be wire locked?

paul hughes

SPD are due some new stock of 2 piece disc kits at the end of this month we think.

we have new pads arrived now but they have gone up already.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Paul Hughes@Buddyclub said:
no need to wire lock under normal road conditions, :) if you adhere to the Honda torque settings.
I wont be plonking it on the btcc grid by any means, but I didn't buy the car to drive to lidl and back. :p

Do you offer a mounting kit I can lockwire? I would much rather have the peace of mind of knowing they will remain tight after putting x amount of heat cycles through them. It also means I can visually check them instead of dismantling and checking torque

Out of interest, what are the torque settings? There were no words on paper with the discs and I'm pretty sure they're not in the Honda fsm. :)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I'm in the process of fitting these discs, but the nuts and bolts that secure the hat to the disc are imperial.. I've got lots of tools, but I don't have a way of torquing these bolts.

Why are they supplied with imperial hardware?

The nuts don't have clearance for a socket, and the allen bolts are somewhere between 4&5mm. I don't have (does anyone?) an imperial allen socket set that will allow me to torque them up using a torque wrench.

If they were wire locked I would tighten them by feel, but they're not, so I need to torque them to spec, for peace of mind when I'm standing on them in the braking area.

The torque setting for reference is 10.5lbft/14nm.

This might be deemed an issue that would be better discussed via pm, I'm not just moaning in public, I would like it I'm the open for anyone facing the same issue. :)

James-T

Advanced Member
Definitely keep this public Kevin, everyone should be aware of products which prove to be a pain in the arse.