Battlefield 4 -Official Thread-

Benneh

Advanced Member
To be honest you'd need to overhaul the entire system. The RAM you could probably keep assuming it's DDR3 and not DDR2. Both the CPU and GPU are ancient too! So you'd need a new motherboard, CPU and GPU as a bare minimum. Price could range quite a bit, newer GPUs aren't the cheapest they've ever been in all honesty! But the CPU and motherboard you could probably pick up for less than £200, and perhaps the same again for the GPU - but it would only be upper-mid ranged cards in that pricing area.

BenSayers

Advanced Member
For anyone else having issues, I found it a bit more stable once I'd turned hardware acceleration off in my Web browser. Not perfect but a hell of a lot better

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DC5RS

DC5
dc5-2ltr said:
I haven`t played decent games on my PC for a few years now so my system is probaly out of date..
CPU AMD phenom II x2 550
8gb of ram
an old nvidia geforce GT 240
Crucial 250gb ssd
what upgrades would i need to play modern games such as Battlefield 4 and the latest COD?An idea of prices for things would be a help if poss,thanks David
You will surely need a new graphics card perhaps a 7870 / R7 270x / GTX 760 or similar around 220 GBP make sure your PSU can handle it
You will also need a new CPU preferably a new AMD or a used X6. around 120 gbp make sure your motherbaord supports X6 amd

DC5RS

DC5
BenSayers said:
For anyone else having issues, I found it a bit more stable once I'd turned hardware acceleration off in my Web browser. Not perfect but a hell of a lot better

I have set the game at x86 and fixed a bit but there are tons of server crashes lately

BenSayers

Advanced Member
I have set the game at x86 and fixed a bit but there are tons of server crashes lately

Might have to try that too. Once you find a stable server it's not that bad minus the sound issues and I'm really enjoying it. All the start weapons are lol worthy and I'm sure some of my dodgy hit detection is just due to them being poop.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
dc5-2ltr said:
I haven`t played decent games on my PC for a few years now so my system is probaly out of date..
CPU AMD phenom II x2 550
8gb of ram
an old nvidia geforce GT 240
Crucial 250gb ssd
what upgrades would i need to play modern games such as Battlefield 4 and the latest COD?An idea of prices for things would be a help if poss,thanks David
Hi.

If you want to build your own, which is more fun, the info you can get off the net is invaluable. The reviews are most important. There're bundles consisting of a
board, the ram and a cpu with cooler. Start by having a look at a Z77 board with an Intel quad core cpu. You will get away with 8gp of decent ram, higher would be better. For graphics cards I would read the reviews. Some that are somtimes described as high powered, in practice dont perform as good as some lesser ones. And you will need one that keeps itself reasonably cool.

Read the reviews about mating a particular graphics card to a particular monitor. Big cards are throttled back by small resolution screens.

Your case will need plenty of room inside and needs plenty of cool air coming through to keep the heat contained. One of the most overlooked item has already been mentioned. The power supply unit. You need at least 500 watts. If you have any money left after all this go for 800watts. Again you're future proofing your rig should you wish to start adding other stuff.

When you start it up and get into Battlefield 4 you will be amazed.

I hope you decide to self build. You'll have a great deal of satisfaction when it all comes together and the Windows logo appears.

Regards. Good luck and keep us updated if you go ahead.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
I managed to play this for a few hours last night before i had to get ready to goto london again. I played the first 3 campaigns of the single player and i am very impressed so far. I'm aiming to get gold in each of the campaigns. I have read somewhere that you can earn multiplayer weapons if you complete the single player in different ways?

So far i can tell that my computer is a little out of its depth graphically. Its looking more and more likely that i will upgrade my graphics card before the year is out.

Anyone got any experience of the 79xx series of graphics card?

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Coldfuse said:
I managed to play this for a few hours last night before i had to get ready to goto london again. I played the first 3 campaigns of the single player and i am very impressed so far. I'm aiming to get gold in each of the campaigns. I have read somewhere that you can earn multiplayer weapons if you complete the single player in different ways?

So far i can tell that my computer is a little out of its depth graphically. Its looking more and more likely that i will upgrade my graphics card before the year is out.

Anyone got any experience of the 79xx series of graphics card?
Hi.

Recent opinion seems to favour the Nvidia Geeforce cards. From personal experience only, Geeforce drivers seem to be more stable. Online reviews ie PCFormat, Tech Radar will help. Regards.

Coldfuse

I did some reading tonight after reading that and you are correct, nVidia seem to be upping their game with these cards (baring in mind the new AMD card is a whole generation ahead so does not count) with the release of the new AMD stuff nVidia have lowered the price to represent the relative value for performance.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Granty1056 said:
Hi.

If you want to build your own, which is more fun, the info you can get off the net is invaluable. The reviews are most important. There're bundles consisting of a
board, the ram and a cpu with cooler. Start by having a look at a Z77 board with an Intel quad core cpu. You will get away with 8gp of decent ram, higher would be better. For graphics cards I would read the reviews. Some that are somtimes described as high powered, in practice dont perform as good as some lesser ones. And you will need one that keeps itself reasonably cool.

Read the reviews about mating a particular graphics card to a particular monitor. Big cards are throttled back by small resolution screens.

Your case will need plenty of room inside and needs plenty of cool air coming through to keep the heat contained. One of the most overlooked item has already been mentioned. The power supply unit. You need at least 500 watts. If you have any money left after all this go for 800watts. Again you're future proofing your rig should you wish to start adding other stuff.

When you start it up and get into Battlefield 4 you will be amazed.

I hope you decide to self build. You'll have a great deal of satisfaction when it all comes together and the Windows logo appears.

Regards. Good luck and keep us updated if you go ahead.
Thanks Granty...yes I think I`ll try and build myself a PC! Have got in mind something along the lines of...
Asus Z87 motherboard
Intel quad core i5 1150 cpu
Corsair power supply
Zotac GTX 770 graphics
Use my 2x4gb of Crucial ram(upgrade if needed)
Use my 250gb Crucial SSD to run my o/s
Use my 1TB ext HDD for gaming
will cost in the region of £700 ish...what do you reckon?Thanks,David

Benneh

Advanced Member
Which CPU is it? The 1150 is actually the socket number for the Haswell (4th) generation of Intel Core processors. The external hard drive will be fine for general documents, music, films etc; but running games from it will be horrible unless it's eSata rather than USB. The SSD will be able to hold a fair few games but will likely fill up quickly!

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

Agreed as above. The Zotec 770 AMP looks tasty and performs well. Prices are not much more for this version above stock. The Intel i5 4670k will sit in that socket very nicely.

From what I've read I think you're on the right track.

When it all comes together I think you will be well pleased.

PS. You did,nt put a like on my recent machine polish pics. :xtsk:

Regards. Granty.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Benneh said:
Which CPU is it? The 1150 is actually the socket number for the Haswell (4th) generation of Intel Core processors. The external hard drive will be fine for general documents, music, films etc; but running games from it will be horrible unless it's eSata rather than USB. The SSD will be able to hold a fair few games but will likely fill up quickly!
Had in mind the i4430 cpu but forgot to mention I`ve a WD Caviar 750GB internal HDD I could use to run games on.Also I`m running Windows 7 Pro 32bit which I like ,will it worth upping this to 64 bit using the original install disc as I absolutely hate windows 8.Thanks xthumbup

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Granty1056 said:
Hi.

Agreed as above. The Zotec 770 AMP looks tasty and performs well. Prices are not much more for this version above stock. The Intel i5 4670k will sit in that socket very nicely.

Regards. Granty.
Sorry about that young man...I`ve looked in the detailing section but can`t find it??

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Granty1056 said:
Hi.

Regards. Granty.
Aye the 4670 looks an ace buy..I`ll go for that xthumbup

Coldfuse

DC5RS said:
Looks like the game has been updated today, and i havent had any crashes yet. hope its solved
I assume this was just a netcode update or something? i will have to look into multiplayer when i am back at the weekend.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
dc5-2ltr said:
Sorry about that young man...I`ve looked in the detailing section but can`t find it??
Sorry about that old chap. I put it in the wrong section. It's in General. Must be an age thing.

I recently went from Win 7 32bit to 64bit using the install disc. It went well with no probs.

Regards.

DC5RS

DC5
Coldfuse said:
I assume this was just a netcode update or something? i will have to look into multiplayer when i am back at the weekend.
It's been updated on server side, also they fixed the queue. By the way my clan will have a server up and running soon in collaboration with EA:)

Coldfuse

DC5RS said:
It's been updated on server side, also they fixed the queue. By the way my clan will have a server up and running soon in collaboration with EA:)
Sounds good, where are you based again?