Best performance track legal exhaust

SamDC5

Advanced Member
BigCarlo said:
I've got a mani and with a decat as well as a k100 it's running 246 at the moment I need less noise so I can do more track time.
The RM01A is perfectly fine, it's not a restrictive exhaust at all and will pass any noise limit. Doesn't drone either.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BigCarlo

Like I was saying previously the jasma cert thing just made me think restrictions it's my first jap car so I'm not used to seeing things like this. There is nothing like jasma on my race bikes just bhp and noise levels lol

SamDC5

Advanced Member
They're not restrictive at all, end of the day it's about finding the balance of noise and power. The RM01A is fantastic exhaust, exceptionally well built, light and it doesn't drone. You can get them for £652 delivered from Torque GT which comes with everything you need to fit it.

BigCarlo

Midnight said:
Give you an example.

The 3" SF track friendly is roughly twice as heavy as the Kakimoto Regu but we found an additional 30bhp from swapping it over.

While I agree DC5's not built for straight line but extra power (rule of thumb) means quicker in and out corners (a lot of variables I know) but what we lost on weight we made up for in power.

Kakimoto IS the best sounding exhaust for the DC5 and I'd personally have another if ours wasn't so 'focused'.

From our own research the RM01-A will flow better than 5Zeigen and meet UK track noise limits.
What made you go for the sold over the rm? Was it purely power? By the sounds of it do you think the extra weight might out weigh the bhp gain?

Fez

Advanced Member
BigCarlo said:
What made you go for the sold over the rm? Was it purely power? By the sounds of it do you think the extra weight might out weigh the bhp gain?
It wouldn't out weigh the bhp gain, as there was such an increase in power and not much weight.
If you worked it out hp/ton
Saying the sofab exhaust weighed 20kg, and kaki 10kg
The car was stock weight(ish) 1200kg
210hp with kaki, 240hp with so fab. (Figures for example)

210hpx1000/1200kg = 175hp/ton
240hpx1000/1210kg = 198hp/ton

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Kakimoto is known for being restrictive. A catback system will not release 30BHP if there isn't restriction in the first place.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
RM01A not good for power? I've heard it all. :D

I certainly had no issues with mine.
Every time I mention it seems to get slated. Not sure why?

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
The only reason you‘ll gain 30bhp with a change of cat back on a 2.0 na car is if the previous exhaust was either knackered or of a crap design.

There can only be a couple of bhp to be had between a good and average cat back, probably at the top end of the rev range too with the more restrictive of the two possibly even developing a better torque curve lower down in the rev range which some prefer.

spooke

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
RM01A not good for power? I've heard it all. :D

I certainly had no issues with mine.
SamDC5 said:
Every time I mention it seems to get slated. Not sure why?

It's a well known fact a 3" system will give more power than the RM01A :xaiweb5:

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
They'll always be a limit on how much power a Jasma approved exhaust such as the Regu or RMAO1 will make compared to a 3 inch system. But for a track legal one off the shelf it be putting my hands on the RMAO1 personally. How quiet are the Solid fab 3 inch ones?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
They're quiet but drone, unlike Jasma systems.

For the extra few bhp you get with a 3" system, due to drone and its weight, I'd stick with a tried and proven Jasma system, like the RM01A.

jrscho

Advanced Member
Never heard the rm exhaust before, but that's only 2.5" I think? Since it's power that's wanted here the 3" sf will always make more power, even an extra 5-10bhp. Still more power lol. Their Super silent exhaust has two larger silencers which is meant to make them track friendly. My friend has one on his ep3, It's still pretty loud for an exhaust and still drones slightly but you can only make a 3" so quiet! My dc5 has a custom 2.5" and he says my cars a lot louder than his as well. Plus sf exhausts do look a lot nicer imo!

BigCarlo

I understand the drone is clearly quite noticeable on the 3 inch systems but ultimately if they are getting more power as mentioned above 5 to 10 bhp then I would say the drone should be worth it. My exhaust the now drones like hell so im sure the difference might even be for the better. Its a shame there is nothing jap that aims for total power that isnt to loud for any track in the UK.

5 to 10 BHP is a lot when your playing with N/A especially since thats the only thing for me that lets the car down the slight lack of straight line performance cornering ect is unreal,
To be fair tho with the new map ect its loads better but its now to loud.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
They're quiet but drone, unlike Jasma systems.

For the extra few bhp you get with a 3" system, due to drone and its weight, I'd stick with a tried and proven Jasma system, like the RM01A.
Totally agreed!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Whilst I agree the Kaki is a restrictive system compared to what's out there, what I would say having had one on my reg for 2 years is that I never felt any lack of poke, uneagerness and general lack of power. I wouldn't be put off by another that's for sure as the noise was addictive, But I'm not someone who will chase every bhp as I feel the rigmarole is too expensive for the actually real world noticable gain.

Problem with Dynos aswell is that they're only an indication as the variables are changing all the time. I wouldn't pay too much thought myself into dyno results from different sessions on different days.

Sam hit the nail on the head by saying it's about striking a balance. I must have had one of the most restrictive Jasma exhausts on mine (Regu) and as mentioned in the real world never felt lacking in any way.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
BigCarlo said:
I understand the drone is clearly quite noticeable on the 3 inch systems but ultimately if they are getting more power as mentioned above 5 to 10 bhp then I would say the drone should be worth it. My exhaust the now drones like hell so im sure the difference might even be for the better. Its a shame there is nothing jap that aims for total power that isnt to loud for any track in the UK.

5 to 10 BHP is a lot when your playing with N/A especially since thats the only thing for me that lets the car down the slight lack of straight line performance cornering ect is unreal,
To be fair tho with the new map ect its loads better but its now to loud.
5bhp may be a lot on paper but Zilch in the real world me. Me and my mate used to play when he was NA with k100 used to mess about on the motorway and stuff and he was 230bhp and i was standard. Only amounted to around a car length at silly speeds...

Richie200

Advanced Member
I‘ll be keeping my Regu on regardless even when I get my throttle bodies fitted.

As Chris said in the real world are you really going to notice a difference between both exhaust variants?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I recently changed the exhaust on my FD2. Same map, same dyno, different exhaust and different day. ~20 bhp increase and a shed load of mid range. I can barely notice it on the road however I suspect I will on tracks like Spa as I could feel it struggling in high rpm last year.

Midnight's DC5 on the same dyno, with a Solid Fab's 3" system and DC (I think?) manifold made 239.

All I have on my FD is a Mugen intake, Toda decat and exhaust. The manifold is standard.

I highly doubt I'd gain 5-10 bhp if I were to get a Solid Fab's exhaust on there.