Best performance track legal exhaust

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
I recently changed the exhaust on my FD2. Same map, same dyno, different exhaust and different day. ~20 bhp increase and a shed load of mid range. I can barely notice it on the road however I suspect I will on tracks like Spa as I could feel it struggling in high rpm last year.

Midnight's DC5 on the same dyno, with a Solid Fab's 3" system and DC (I think?) manifold made 239.

All I have on my FD is a Mugen intake, Toda decat and exhaust. The manifold is standard.

I highly doubt I'd gain 5-10 bhp if I were to get a Solid Fab's exhaust on there.
To be honest, after fitting your Toda system, if I were to change mine, that's what I'd go for. Mostly because of the quality if it, but also because it was as easy to fit as an oem system. Fit like a glove from front to back, even down to the brilliance of the fitting into the bumper cut out.

I'm a mugen fanboi as we all know, I wish my Twin loop fit as well as your Toda did.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I disagree with the 3" is better, just because it's bigger doesn't mean it's going to release more power. On N/A cars the power gain is all in the manifold design anyway. I'd rather go with an exhaust that I know will fit, not drone and that will guarantee you won't fail any noise tests.

But bigger is always better right?

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Another vote for rm01a.
No issues with power. And very easy on the ears with the 5.3

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
If we're including manifolds in the debate then Toda hands down. I know from people who use Paul at TDI he claims the Toda is still the best designed manifolds he's seen and excel in design and flow ocer the Solid Fab. Or at least that is what I've been told his stance on that matter is.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Whilst I agree the Kaki is a restrictive system compared to what's out there, what I would say having had one on my reg for 2 years is that I never felt any lack of poke, uneagerness and general lack of power. I wouldn't be put off by another that's for sure as the noise was addictive, But I'm not someone who will chase every bhp as I feel the rigmarole is too expensive for the actually real world noticable gain.

Problem with Dynos aswell is that they're only an indication as the variables are changing all the time. I wouldn't pay too much thought myself into dyno results from different sessions on different days.

Sam hit the nail on the head by saying it's about striking a balance. I must have had one of the most restrictive Jasma exhausts on mine (Regu) and as mentioned in the real world never felt lacking in any way.
EFI are probably one of the better mappers in the UK, even they were astonished how much more power could be achieved going from the Kakimoto to a 3" exhaust.

Car made 210bhp with kakimoto, car standard let's say 215bhp, car with 3" made 239.9bhp. Nothing else (bolt on) changed, other than the exhaust.

Fueling alone (AFR) shown us how restrictive the Kakimoto is!

While initially the Kakimoto doesn't feel restrictive the higher up the rpm the difference is day and night. Isn't vtec about higher rpm?

I should add, that the 3" also gave us better low down power which was a surprise to me. I knew it would be better higher rpm I was expecting 5-8bhp but the fueling was hugely different all through the rpm. More could be added.

Also the map had additional gains over the original map that came with the ECU which had the RM01A fitted. (Few other variables so take with a bit of salt).

Problem is with forums, someone's opinion can be taken as fact. Fact is Kakimoto is restrictive, bhp will best be achieved with a 3". Fact is the Kakimoto is a lot lighter so as you say it's about balance, but if given the chance I would personally have another Kakimoto for the sound alone.

Epic sounding exhaust only thing that would beat it sound wise would be a whine of a supercharger!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
EFI are probably one of the better mappers in the UK, even they were astonished how much more power could be achieved going from the Kakimoto to a 3" exhaust.

Fueling alone (AFR) shown us how restrictive the Kakimoto is!

While initially the Kakimoto doesn't feel restrictive the higher up the rpm the difference is day and night. Isn't vtec about higher rpm?

I should add, that the 3" also gave us better low down power which was a surprise to me. I knew it would be better higher rpm I was expecting 5-8bhp but the fueling was hugely different all through the rpm. More could be added.

Also the map had additional gains over the original map that came with the ECU which had the RM01A fitted. (Few other variables so take with a bit of salt).

Problem is with forums, someone's opinion can be taken as fact. Fact is Kakimoto is restrictive, bhp will best be achieved with a 3". Fact is the Kakimoto is a lot lighter so as you say it's about balance, but if given the chance I would personally have another Kakimoto for the sound alone.

Epic sounding exhaust only thing that would beat it sound wise would be a whine of a supercharger!
Yeah agreed about forums. Also agree Kaki is restrictive. Especially at 2.38 diameter. Can't compare to a 3 inch as I never had one but i can say confidently on the road it never ever felt lacking in anyway

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Midnight

Advanced Member
Neither on track!

Passing TDI 247bhp cars all day long when apparently we were only running 210bhp.

Dyno's are a tool and should be used as such. Not a defining read out.

Like you say the Kakimoto didn't feel restrictive. Was only after fitting the 3" and a few drives out we relised it was.

But again, this is my opinion. Someone else could get into the car and think otherwise 👍🏼

Jvzr

Advanced Member
What was the spec/map/ power before fitting the 3" over the kaki?

Was it the same mapper both times? And only a catback changed?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Midnight

Advanced Member
Spec was same, other than catback.

Mapper was the same, at same dyno (EFI).

More than welcome to read our thread. Well documented. Just for peoples information I'm far from using this to advertise SF. In fact with our own experience we would not recommend it. However proof is in the pudding. A 3" will release that extra bhp if that's what your chasing.

It's also funny that the people who haven't tried a 3" are stating it'll not offer better performance...

I will quote what Area MS said and EFI who both know more than the average forum member. A 3" on the N/A engine will release more power, why do you think track cars N/A have huge diameter exhausts. Quicker dirty air can escape, quicker clean air can be burnt.

That's why routing is also a defining factor, pointless having 3" exhaust if is looks like a 'S'. It'd be better to have a 2.5" that looks like a '|'.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
What we're getting at is the Kakimoto is restrictive, it's well known that it is. That's why you're seeing the BHP gain, simple as. The RM01A is not so you won't lose 30BHP if you fitted an RM01A. Simple as that. Just because an exhaust is 3" doesn't mean it will out perform a smaller diameter exhaust, if you go from a small pipe to a larger pipe that actually decreases flow. Chris' DC5 was mapped with the RM01A and wasn't restrictive at all. After seeing the fitment of the SF I'd be hard to part with my money.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Sam think you're missing the point or being too biased to see.

We had Chris's map who had the RM01A fitted. We could achieve more power through AFR with the 3". However EFI could tell the car before had more power when he was first mapping it with the Kakimoto.

I don't really care who fits what. But some comments on here are next stupid. Not facts just opinions!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
What I would say is that I think the 30bhp difference you had Midnight was an extreme event and others who have changed from Kaki to 3 inch that I know of have also lost power but No where near 30 whole bhp (12.5 BHP to be precise on a JRSCd Teg was one guy).

For that reason as much as your Evidence is fully valid that the Kaki is restrictive I don't believe 30bhp is an accurate figure. The fact we need to upgrade cat back, airbox, inlet, outlet to see near 240bhp makes me very dubious the 30bhp was solely a Kaki issue.

Restrictive by 30bhp would make it in the realms of the 5Zigen Proracer 😂 but in the real world nobody that I know of has ever made any complaints the Kaki is such on the road. I'm biased as I never had any Kaki issues as you know and don't believe the 30bhp is solely a Kaki issue. I would agree however totally that best power for money would be a 3 inch!

SamDC5

Advanced Member
You're missing my point of just because an exhaust is 3" doesn't mean it's better.

For the sake of 2-3BHP I'd rather not my ears bleed and it fit properly. Not being biased but explaining that the SF isn't as good as people make it out to be.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
So what is the best performance track legal exhaust.......
That question is simple!

Custom titanium exhaust!

However doubt people are going to spend £2500+ for an exhaust.